External USB Hard Drive & Windows 98SE

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged if I
can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to the
letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect the
USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.

The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and camera
with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried using
the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
shown on My Computer, etc.

Hep me! Hep me!! Thanks in advance!

Fred

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Did you look in Device Manager? Read the manual?

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message news:XSQue.9881$Uj.2087@trnddc08...
> I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged if I
> can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to the
> letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect the
> USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.
>
> The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and camera
> with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried using
> the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
> shown on My Computer, etc.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged if I
> can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to the
> letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect the
> USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.

Describe in detail "don't work".

> The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and camera
> with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried using
> the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
> shown on My Computer, etc.
>
> Hep me! Hep me!! Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged if I
> can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to the
> letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect the
> USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.
>
> The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and camera
> with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried using
> the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
> shown on My Computer, etc.
>
> Hep me! Hep me!! Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

There's quite a selection at the Iomega site based on your generic
decription. All the one's I see are USB 2.0 connectivity (if USB) at their
website per their description.
I did find reference at the Iomege support section about 98/98SE, and
requirement to update to the MS latest USB and firewire oriented updates if
the hard drive is not found. The latest MS drivers for firewire has a few
files that update the USB end of the story as well. Won't hurt your PC if
you don't have firewire connectivity.

You shouldn't need any 3rd party drivers or software for the PC to see the
hard drive.

Try the Iomegae support website first, then come back if you can't get it to
work with a good description.

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks Dave! Will hit the iomega site tonight and post what
happens.

"Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged
if I
> > can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to
the
> > letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> > start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect
the
> > USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.
>
> Describe in detail "don't work".

Sorry about the "don't work"! I'm a man of few words. :O)

The drive powers up and the indicators lights fine. You know
how when you plug in a USB device to the PC, the cursor
changes to that little hourglass for a second, showing that
something was connected? Then you go to MS Explorer and the
device shows up as a new drive? None of that happens.
Looks like nothing was connected. (Then I plugged in a
printer and a camera to the same USB port on the PC and the
computer recognized them both right as usual.)

Fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

How do I install my Iomega Hard Drive?:
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=301&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

You will need to install the Windows 98 Mass Storage driver from the Iomega Hard
Drive's software CD before connecting the drive, as described at the link above.

See also:
https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16743&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged if I
> can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to the
> letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect the
> USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.
>
> The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and camera
> with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried using
> the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
> shown on My Computer, etc.
>
> Hep me! Hep me!! Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks, Glen!!

> How do I install my Iomega Hard Drive?:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=301&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

> You will need to install the Windows 98 Mass Storage
driver from the Iomega Hard
> Drive's software CD before connecting the drive, as
described at the link above.

> See also:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16743&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought an Iomega external hard drive and danged
if I
> > can't get it to work. I followed the instructions to
the
> > letter, which weren't much -- "Put in the CD. Run
> > start.exe. Reboot. Plug in the AC to the drive. Connect
the
> > USB cable to the computer." Hit don't work.
> >
> > The USB is from a card. I use both a USB printer and
camera
> > with no trouble. I unplugged the printer and tried
using
> > the hard drive there, but not response -- no ext drives
> > shown on My Computer, etc.
> >
> > Hep me! Hep me!! Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Fred

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> How do I install my Iomega Hard Drive?:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=301&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

> You will need to install the Windows 98 Mass Storage
driver from the Iomega Hard
> Drive's software CD before connecting the drive, as
described at the link above.

From the page:

"If you are using Windows® 98, please use the numbered steps
below. For all other operating systems, proceed to step C.

1 - Insert the Iomega Hard Drive's software CD into the
CD-ROM drive.
2 - A message should appear stating that a Windows 98 Mass
Storage driver is installing. Click Continue to install the
driver.
3 - Restart the computer.

Fred sez.... "Step #2 doesn't happen with the Solutions CD.
Start>Run>start.exe (the only EXE in the base folder) starts
the program on the CD, but it doesn't jive with this either.
This seems to be the problem with most software
documentation - they leave something basic out and don't
check it before shipping the product. If you're not a geen
yus, like my self, and have to follow step by step, it's
nice if all the steps are in there.)

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> > How do I install my Iomega Hard Drive?:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=301&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

> > You will need to install the Windows 98 Mass Storage
> driver from the Iomega Hard
> > Drive's software CD before connecting the drive, as
> described at the link above.
> >
> > See also:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16743&p_sid=O5U-JPIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNDEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0zNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTY0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks again, Glen and the boys!

I went to this site, downloaded the driver installation
program for Win98SE and ran it. Installed slicker'n snail
snot, re-booted, plugged in the hard drive and off she went!
Same steps as I followed with the CD but (and this is a big
butt) it worked this time.

Answer to Question #1: Before you read anything in the box,
check the website.

Pushing on to Questions #2 & 3...

First, here's the one I have: Iomega 80GB (No model no on
the box; "30930300 DHD080-U" on the mfr plate, made with
pride in Taiwan).

2 - Looking at msconfig, I see that it added 2 new
programs... TPP Autoloader (c:\windows\tppaldr.exe) and
USBDetector (c:\USBStorage\USBDetector.exe).

What the heck are these danged thangs for and can I disable
either in startup and still go along fat dum and happy with
my new drive?

Moving right along...

3 - When I look on the drive, there are 2 files,
"ClickHere.exe" and "ClickHere.ini". No, they ain't even
mentioned in the extra fine manual. Wonder what they is
far?

Thankye, boys!!

> Pushing on to Questions #2 & 3...
>
> First, here's the one I have: Iomega 80GB (No model no on
> the box; "30930300 DHD080-U" on the mfr plate, made with
> pride in Taiwan).
>
> 2 - Looking at msconfig, I see that it added 2 new
> programs... TPP Autoloader (c:\windows\tppaldr.exe) and
> USBDetector (c:\USBStorage\USBDetector.exe).
>
> What the heck are these danged thangs for and can I disable
> either in startup and still go along fat dum and happy with
> my new drive?

TPP Autoloader (c:\windows\tppaldr.exe):
See here and decide for yourself --
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_t.htm
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/tppaldr.asp

USBDetector (c:\USBStorage\USBDetector.exe):
See here....you might want to keep this utility to be sure your data is sent to the
drive before you disconnect it.
http://castlecops.com/s4047-USBDetector.html

> Moving right along...
>
> 3 - When I look on the drive, there are 2 files,
> "ClickHere.exe" and "ClickHere.ini". No, they ain't even
> mentioned in the extra fine manual. Wonder what they is
> far?

They may be a small intoductory app for the drive. Scan the exe file for viruses,
then it's up to you. I'd run it, were it mine, just to see how dumb it is. ;-)
--

> TPP Autoloader (c:\windows\tppaldr.exe):
> See here and decide for yourself --

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_t.htm
> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/tppaldr.asp

"Recommendation : If you save documents and files directly
to CD (via InCD) rather than through CD-Writing software,
then you will need this task running. If you always use
CD-Writing software, then disable TPPALDR with The Ultimate
Troubleshooter."

"A staggering 65% of problems which a PC encounters, whether
in business or at home, are not caused by hardware problems,
they are not caused by viruses, they are not caused by spam;
they are caused by background tasks."

Thanks again, Glen! I'll disable it as I only use the CDR's
or backing up. If I can reduce my problems by 65%, I can
spend that time doing something more constructive, like
watching Oprah or hanging around the doughnut shop!

> > TPP Autoloader (c:\windows\tppaldr.exe):
> > See here and decide for yourself --
> >
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_t.htm
> > http://www.auditmypc.com/process/tppaldr.asp
>
> "Recommendation : If you save documents and files directly
> to CD (via InCD) rather than through CD-Writing software,
> then you will need this task running. If you always use
> CD-Writing software, then disable TPPALDR with The Ultimate
> Troubleshooter."
>
> "A staggering 65% of problems which a PC encounters, whether
> in business or at home, are not caused by hardware problems,
> they are not caused by viruses, they are not caused by spam;
> they are caused by background tasks."
>
> Thanks again, Glen! I'll disable it as I only use the CDR's
> or backing up. If I can reduce my problems by 65%, I can
> spend that time doing something more constructive, like
> watching Oprah or hanging around the doughnut shop!

Donut shop works for me. ;-)

....glen

fred

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.usb,microsoft.public.win98.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks again to my doughnut buddy Glen, and awl my other
swell pals at these 3 fine newsgroups for bailing me out
(once again)!

Fred
http://tinyurl.com/6q56y