Norton Ghost 2003: Cant boot XP after creating system disk..

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 8:00:46 AM

Hi all,

I've installed ghost 2003 with the aim to using it as a backup system
for my system disk. My system disk has 2 patrtitions both NFTS. My
backup disk was an external NFTS drive connected through USB.

After following the tutorials, I when about creating the file image of
my disk as follows:

1) Started ghost and went about selecting the drive to ghost, the
destination (i.e thr' usb), and the location of image file on the
external disk.

2) Ghost then booted (via the floppy) into dos mode. Again followed the
instructions and selected the location of the image. The odd thing here
was that the image file already existed (small in size). I just re
selected it as my destination. Is there where it went wrong (see
below).

3) Once image created, I checked it, no problem.

4) Exited Ghost and thus returned to DOS. Took out the floppy and
rebooted.

The machine now cant find the OS. Has ghost done something to the MBR?
My Partition Magic rescue disk informs me that the partition is bad,
though while in ghost (via DOS), I can still browse around this disk
and its patrtition as if I was using that drive as a destination for an
image.

Does ghost alter a disks partition structure in order to do a image
copy? Is there anyway of getting back to the OS? My next option is to
try to retore the image, but I'm slow to try this as if this is wrong
its all completely gone. My aim was to use this backup and restore to
another disk as a trial run.

Finally my last option is just to re-install everything!!!

If anybody can help I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Michael Dunphy

More about : norton ghost 2003 boot creating system disk

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 10:03:19 AM

thanks michael.

In the normal usage of ghost, once I created the ghost image, and exit
the dos environment, should I just be able to reboot into XP without
messing with the partition table?

Cheers Mike
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 10:10:38 AM

Hi Bob,

I wasnt cloning the system disk to another disk but rather to a disk
image file on the external drive connect via USB. I doubt the machine
could boot from a usb drive but that wasnt my intention, is was just a
storage location for the image.

Thanks

Mike
Related resources
June 24, 2005 5:30:55 PM

On 24 Jun 2005 06:10:38 -0700, madunphy@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi Bob,
>
>I wasnt cloning the system disk to another disk but rather to a disk
>image file on the external drive connect via USB. I doubt the machine
>could boot from a usb drive but that wasnt my intention, is was just a
>storage location for the image.

My point is that if the BIOS considers the new disk bootable it could
try to boot from it.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
June 24, 2005 5:30:56 PM

> >I wasnt cloning the system disk to another disk but rather to a disk
> >image file on the external drive connect via USB. I doubt the machine
> >could boot from a usb drive but that wasnt my intention, is was just a
> >storage location for the image.
>
> My point is that if the BIOS considers the new disk bootable it could
> try to boot from it.

But OP did not change partition information on USB attached drive.
He just attempted to put a file there (unsuccessfully though).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 5:49:57 PM

madunphy@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've installed ghost 2003 with the aim to using it as a backup system
> for my system disk. My system disk has 2 patrtitions both NFTS. My
> backup disk was an external NFTS drive connected through USB.
>
> After following the tutorials, I when about creating the file image of
> my disk as follows:
>
> 1) Started ghost and went about selecting the drive to ghost, the
> destination (i.e thr' usb), and the location of image file on the
> external disk.
>
> 2) Ghost then booted (via the floppy) into dos mode. Again followed
> the instructions and selected the location of the image. The odd
> thing here was that the image file already existed (small in size). I
> just re selected it as my destination. Is there where it went wrong
> (see below).
>
> 3) Once image created, I checked it, no problem.
>
> 4) Exited Ghost and thus returned to DOS. Took out the floppy and
> rebooted.
>
> The machine now cant find the OS. Has ghost done something to the MBR?
> My Partition Magic rescue disk informs me that the partition is bad,
> though while in ghost (via DOS), I can still browse around this disk
> and its patrtition as if I was using that drive as a destination for
> an image.
>
> Does ghost alter a disks partition structure in order to do a image
> copy? Is there anyway of getting back to the OS? My next option is to
> try to retore the image, but I'm slow to try this as if this is wrong
> its all completely gone. My aim was to use this backup and restore to
> another disk as a trial run.
>
> Finally my last option is just to re-install everything!!!
>
> If anybody can help I'd very much appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael Dunphy

Hi!

> My Partition Magic rescue disk informs me that the partition is bad,
'Bad disk is caused by the Virtual Partition entry in the partition table
causing PM to believe that there is an overlapping partition (error #113)
Run PTEdit from the PQ rescue floppy #1
Please NOTE that you read the following line CAREFULLY!
Delete the entire line representing the Ghost 2003' virtual partition
(column 'Type' 0E or 04) by entering:
00 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Goto the first line representing the Windows partition
(column 'Type' 07), goto the column "Boot" and change the '00' into '80'
(Setting bootflag)

Save Changes
Reboot

Volià

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
June 24, 2005 6:27:13 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:41:46 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>But OP did not change partition information on USB attached drive.
>He just attempted to put a file there (unsuccessfully though).

Yes. But that does not mean the BIOS did not misinterpret the presence
of the disk.

I have a removable bay. If I put a disk in it that has an Active
partition, the BIOS will try to boot from it even though the real
primary partition has not changed in any way.

If I put a disk in the removable bay that does not have the Active
partition set, the BIOS nevertheless enters it into that table I
cited. It doesn't try to boot from it.

Now why would the BIOS put a non-bootable disk in the table called
Hard Disk Boot Priority? Makes no sense, but it does happen.

I am suggesting something for the OP to look at. I am not suggesting
that it is necessarily the solution to his problem. But as goofy as it
appears, if it is the solution, then he will have saved a lot of
effort.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
June 24, 2005 6:27:14 PM

> >But OP did not change partition information on USB attached drive.
> >He just attempted to put a file there (unsuccessfully though).
>
> Yes. But that does not mean the BIOS did not misinterpret the presence
> of the disk.

It does not mean the BIOS did misinterpret the presence of the disk
either. His PC BIOS might even not be able to check for USB hard
disks. It is just irrelevant in this situation.

I'm sure he tried to boot his PC with USB hard disk disconnected
(presumably without success).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 7:09:05 PM

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:41:46 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >But OP did not change partition information on USB attached drive.
> >He just attempted to put a file there (unsuccessfully though).
>
> Yes. But that does not mean the BIOS did not misinterpret the presence
> of the disk.
>
> I have a removable bay. If I put a disk in it that has an Active
> partition, the BIOS will try to boot from it even though the real
> primary partition has not changed in any way.
>
> If I put a disk in the removable bay that does not have the Active
> partition set, the BIOS nevertheless enters it into that table I
> cited. It doesn't try to boot from it.
>
> Now why would the BIOS put a non-bootable disk in the table called
> Hard Disk Boot Priority? Makes no sense, but it does happen.
>
> I am suggesting something for the OP to look at. I am not suggesting
> that it is necessarily the solution to his problem. But as goofy as it
> appears, if it is the solution, then he will have saved a lot of
> effort.
>

> --
>
> Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
> http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html
>
> "Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
> --John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

We all get your point, which is valid. But, not in this case. No OS was
copied to the USB connected hard drive (cloning).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 7:14:55 PM

madunphy@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks michael.
>
> In the normal usage of ghost, once I created the ghost image, and exit
> the dos environment, should I just be able to reboot into XP without
> messing with the partition table?
>
> Cheers Mike

Yes, this thing may happen when using S-ATA or SCSI (non ATA) disks.
If that's the case use either ghost -NOIDE or -FNI in the future.

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
June 24, 2005 7:44:51 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:09:05 GMT, "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net>
wrote:

>We all get your point, which is valid. But, not in this case. No OS was
>copied to the USB connected hard drive (cloning).

You are still missing the point I am trying to make. The BIOS can
misinterpret whether a disk belongs in the "Hard Disk Boot Priority"
listing. A disk does not have to have an OS present and doesn't even
need the Active bit set.

I am not claiming this is the problem. I am trying to point out that
it is something one should check as a matter of routine even if it is
not supposed to happen that way.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
June 24, 2005 7:44:52 PM

> I am not claiming this is the problem. I am trying to point out that
> it is something one should check as a matter of routine even if it is
> not supposed to happen that way.

There are many other things that should be routine checked,
but to save time and space is best to comment only on items
directly related to the problem presented here.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 8:25:13 PM

madunphy@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks michael.
>
> In the normal usage of ghost, once I created the ghost image, and exit
> the dos environment, should I just be able to reboot into XP without
> messing with the partition table?
>
> Cheers Mike

Do you have (a) non IDE disk(s)??
You could also run ghost -noide or ghost -fni either from the CD or from a
floppy disk.

This way a virtual partition is not created...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
June 24, 2005 8:25:14 PM

> You could also run ghost -noide or ghost -fni either from the CD or from a
> floppy disk.
>
> This way a virtual partition is not created...

.... and no need to install Ghost application in that PC.

But USB support in DOS environment is poor, so it might not work
well anyways.
Best for Ghost is WinPE environment (BartPE, UBCD4WIN or else)
made with WinXPSP2 and Ghost32. No more DOS troubles.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 8:17:33 AM

Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote

>> But OP did not change partition information on USB attached drive.
>> He just attempted to put a file there (unsuccessfully though).

> Yes. But that does not mean the BIOS
> did not misinterpret the presence of the disk.

Corse it does. Its not going to become a bootable drive
JUST BECAUSE AN IMAGE FILE HAS BEEN WRITTEN ON IT.

> I have a removable bay. If I put a disk in it that has an Active
> partition, the BIOS will try to boot from it even though the real
> primary partition has not changed in any way.

AND NOTHING WOULD HAVE CHANGED
THE ACTIVE BIT ON THE USB DRIVE.

And even if something did, you need a LOT MORE THAN JUST THE
ACTIVE BIT SET FOR THE BIOS TO DECIDE THAT ITS BOOTABLE.

> If I put a disk in the removable bay that does not have
> the Active partition set, the BIOS nevertheless enters
> it into that table I cited. It doesn't try to boot from it.

Completely irrelevant to his situation.

> Now why would the BIOS put a non-bootable
> disk in the table called Hard Disk Boot Priority?

Basically so you can make it bootable and THEN have it booted.

> Makes no sense,

Wrong. That approach allows things like OS
installers to fiddle with what's bootable and no
need the user to change the bios boot priority table.

> but it does happen.

For a good reason.

> I am suggesting something for the OP to look at.

Pity there is not point whatever in doing that.

> I am not suggesting that it is necessarily the solution to his
> problem. But as goofy as it appears, if it is the solution,

It cant be.

> then he will have saved a lot of effort.

Pathetic, really.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 8:20:54 AM

> Lil' Dave <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote

>> We all get your point, which is valid. But, not in this case.
>> No OS was copied to the USB connected hard drive (cloning).

> You are still missing the point I am trying to make.

Nope.

> The BIOS can misinterpret whether a disk
> belongs in the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" listing.

Nope.

> A disk does not have to have an OS present
> and doesn't even need the Active bit set.

Duh. Its designed that way for a reason.

And if it just has an image file on the drive, YOU WONT
GET THAT ERROR MESSAGE AT BOOT TIME.

> I am not claiming this is the problem. I am trying to point out
> that it is something one should check as a matter of routine

You're wrong. Its done like that for a reason.

> even if it is not supposed to happen that way.

It is supposed to happen that way, AND THAT CANT PRODUCE
THE ERROR MESSAGE HE SEES AT BOOT TIME.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 8:22:00 AM

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>> I am not claiming this is the problem. I am trying to point
>> out that it is something one should check as a matter of
>> routine even if it is not supposed to happen that way.

> There are many other things that should be routine checked,
> but to save time and space is best to comment only on items
> directly related to the problem presented here.

And its stupid to be molesting that table anyway, its done like
that for a reason, so OS installers can do what they need to do.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 8:27:14 AM

<madunphy@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In the normal usage of ghost, once I created the ghost image,
> and exit the dos environment, should I just be able to reboot
> into XP without messing with the partition table?

Yes. The problem is that you shouldnt have booted from the floppy
when you setup the image creation within XP. When you setup the
image creation from within XP, Ghost 2003 creates a special partition
on the hard drive which it then boots and that does the image creation
at the dos level.

When you booted from the floppy instead, ghost got seriously confused
because the special partition on the hard drive was never booted. Normally
when the special partition is booted and the image file is created from there,
the special partition is deleted by ghost once the image creation has succeeded.

Thats the reason it didnt boot, the special partition
never got deleted, so you need to delete it manually.

Thats one of the big downsides with ghost 2003, that special
partition it creates when it needs to create an image at the dos level.
June 25, 2005 8:27:15 AM

> Thats one of the big downsides with ghost 2003, that special
> partition it creates when it needs to create an image at the dos level.

And it does not handle it very well, as OP experience shows.

But even a bigger downside is that old Ghost still lives in DOS, while
the rest of the world slowly forgets about that ancient operating system.

Network and mass storage support slips away from DOS.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 8:35:38 AM

> I've installed ghost 2003 with the aim to using it as a backup system
> for my system disk. My system disk has 2 patrtitions both NFTS. My
> backup disk was an external NFTS drive connected through USB.

> After following the tutorials, I when about
> creating the file image of my disk as follows:

> 1) Started ghost and went about selecting the
> drive to ghost, the destination (i.e thr' usb), and
> the location of image file on the external disk.

> 2) Ghost then booted (via the floppy) into dos mode.

Thats where you went wrong. You shouldnt have used the floppy
in that situation. Ghost would have booted to the special partition
it had created on the hard drive to do the image creation.

> Again followed the instructions and selected the location of the image.

You wouldnt have needed to do that if you had
let it boot the special partition on the hard drive.

> The odd thing here was that the image file already existed (small in size).

Yeah, thats how it keeps track of what its doing over the reboot.

> I just re selected it as my destination. Is
> there where it went wrong (see below).

No, the problem was with booting from the floppy.

You can EITHER setup the image creation at the XP level
and allow it to boot the special partition on the hard drive
to actually do the image creation, OR you can boot the
floppy and setup the image creation there. You cant do both.

> 3) Once image created, I checked it, no problem.

> 4) Exited Ghost and thus returned to DOS.
> Took out the floppy and rebooted.

> The machine now cant find the OS.

Because if you had let it use the special partition on the hard
drive for image creation, it would have deleted that special
partition when image file creation and verification had succeeded.

> Has ghost done something to the MBR?

Yes, its setup the special bootable partition there.

> My Partition Magic rescue disk informs me that the partition is bad,

Thats a side effect of how it sets up the special bootable partition.

> though while in ghost (via DOS), I can still browse
> around this disk and its patrtition as if I was using
> that drive as a destination for an image.

> Does ghost alter a disks partition structure in order to do a image copy?

Image creation setup at the XP level, yes.

> Is there anyway of getting back to the OS?

Yes, just delete that special partition.

You can do that with anything, even fdisk from a bootable floppy.

> My next option is to try to retore the image, but I'm
> slow to try this as if this is wrong its all completely gone.

It will also be much slower than just deleting the special partition.

> My aim was to use this backup and
> restore to another disk as a trial run.

Yeah, thats safest.

> Finally my last option is just to re-install everything!!!

No need.

> If anybody can help I'd very much appreciate it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 9:40:27 AM

>> Thats one of the big downsides with ghost 2003, that special
>> partition it creates when it needs to create an image at the dos level.

> And it does not handle it very well, as OP experience shows.

Yeah, thats what I said to Chein, its fine unless something goes
wrong and beyond normal users to repair when it stuffs up.

Drive Image did that virtual boot much more elegantly.
Whatever happened, it wouldnt render your system unbootable.

> But even a bigger downside is that old Ghost still lives in DOS, while
> the rest of the world slowly forgets about that ancient operating system.

Yeah, way past its useby date.

> Network and mass storage support slips away from DOS.

Yep, doing it at the Win level is the only way to go
for complete support for unusual hardware. If its
working at the Win level, its available for imaging ops.

Thats the main downside with True Image, its bootable
CD does it on linux and thats got real downsides with
the support for less than bog standard hardware.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 4:55:00 AM

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the replies to my issue. You were correct in
identifying the problem (i.e floppy) and the solution. As mentioned,
I'm trying to ghost my system disk onto another (larger) disk (all ide)
as a trial backup in case of disk failure. I tried these scenarios all
from the ghost booted from the floppy:

1) ghost image to external (via USB) disk. restore image to trial disk
2) original disk cloned to trial disk (without an image file)

On both ocassions, I used the same or different partition sizes on the
new trial disk before I rebooted with the original disk disconnected.
XP booted and detected the new hardware setup, and configured itself
with a reboot. But once I was logged in at this stage, the environment
didnt seem right. Issues I found were:

1) explorer dies
2) couldnt access the disk management console
3) when accessing the user administraion console, some users had a red
x icon beside their name

I've now started to read up on the command line options to see if I
need to use any of them. Is there anything obvious that I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks

Mike
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 8:10:10 AM

> Firstly thanks for all the replies to my issue. You were correct in
> identifying the problem (i.e floppy) and the solution. As mentioned,
> I'm trying to ghost my system disk onto another (larger) disk (all ide)
> as a trial backup in case of disk failure. I tried these scenarios all
> from the ghost booted from the floppy:

> 1) ghost image to external (via USB) disk. restore image to trial disk
> 2) original disk cloned to trial disk (without an image file)

> On both ocassions, I used the same or different partition sizes on the
> new trial disk before I rebooted with the original disk disconnected.
> XP booted and detected the new hardware setup, and configured itself
> with a reboot. But once I was logged in at this stage, the environment
> didnt seem right. Issues I found were:

> 1) explorer dies
> 2) couldnt access the disk management console
> 3) when accessing the user administraion console,
> some users had a red x icon beside their name

> I've now started to read up on the command
> line options to see if I need to use any of them.

No you dont.

> Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

Looks like you may have damaged the original
when you booted with the original and the clone
both visible to XP on the first boot of the clone.
June 28, 2005 8:10:11 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:10:10 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> I've now started to read up on the command
>> line options to see if I need to use any of them.

>No you dont.

>> Is there anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

>Looks like you may have damaged the original
>when you booted with the original and the clone
>both visible to XP on the first boot of the clone.
If you pay any attention to this notorious troll, you will suffer the
consequences.

You have been warned.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The possession of arms is the distinction
between a free man and a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 12:15:40 PM

Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
June 28, 2005 5:04:59 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:15:40 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
>Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
>bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
>and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Yet another datum point confirming my claim that Troll Rodboy is a
robot. He says the same exact thing over and over and over...

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The possession of arms is the distinction
between a free man and a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 5:05:00 PM

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message news:42c19c73.26581687@news-server.houston.rr.com...

> You regulars on these forums really have a troll in your midst. He
> just can't stop, can he?

Look in the mirror, raving troll boy.

> Well, you can have him. I have long outstayed my purpose for being
> here. I just wanted to see how pathetic one troll could be.

Get lost then. What the hell did you come here for anyway?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 1, 2005 7:30:31 AM

Update,

I now have this working, points to note

1) dont have the original master disk in when rebooting with clone
2) keep the same IDE setting for the clone as were for the master

Thanks

Mick
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2005 7:42:30 AM

> I now have this working, points to note

> 1) dont have the original master disk in when rebooting with clone
> 2) keep the same IDE setting for the clone as were for the master

I basically prefer to do it with Acronis True Image now.

Mainly because thats much better in some other areas,
particularly support for almost any NIC so you can create
an image onto a drive on the lan as a safety backup just
before you do any work on a system as well as that clone
op and while its not perfect when adjusting the partition
sizes as you clone, its quite usable. Ghost 2003 is well
past its useby date now, particularly with NIC support.
!