Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is Microsoft Really Bringing Office Apps to iPad?

Last response: in News comments
December 1, 2011 5:10:01 PM

Microsoft is a great software company.
Anonymous
December 1, 2011 5:13:32 PM

Quote:
Microsoft is also actively working on Office 2012 for the Windows platform which is now in beta.

:S

2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........?

I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.
December 1, 2011 5:14:08 PM

I look forward to having Office on my iPad!!!
December 1, 2011 5:21:13 PM

Pazero01:S2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........? I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.

You have a point, but basically MS made a new Office for each OS. XP, Vista, 7 and now this one will be for Win8. Frequent OS release = frequent Office release. Not that it's a good thing, but the reason is clear, at least.
December 1, 2011 5:32:34 PM

AndrewMDI look forward to having Office on my iPad!!!

A MS powerpoint on iPad can be very useful. I know there are always several ways to work around, but a MS powerpoint for iPad will make everything much easier, specially those business men who do not know much of computers.
December 1, 2011 5:38:31 PM

Pazero01:S2003 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012... 2013.... 2013 June....... 2013 September...........? I think I'm gonna stick with 2007 for a while.

I was running office 2000 up until docx and pptx started to become popular with university professors. Even then I got the converter but it doesn't work that great. I stopped installing Office 2000 on my main PC this year.
December 1, 2011 5:42:38 PM

It would be bad business for MS not to provide Office for the OS 10.7 and iOS platforms. For each Apple device that replaces a Windows machine still gives MS the opportunity to capitalize by providing consumer/business applications.
December 1, 2011 6:27:42 PM

I guess it depends on how many Windows 8 tablets they want to sell. If there's no exclusive MS Office on their OS it'll be a big selling point gone.
December 1, 2011 6:45:58 PM

"For Microsoft, iPad support would mean millions of additional people worldwide using Office" I find it hard to believe that the people who own iPads don't already use Microsoft office on other devices.

Yes, it could increase sales of Office, but I doubt you'd see new customers.
December 1, 2011 7:14:59 PM

sinfulpotato"For Microsoft, iPad support would mean millions of additional people worldwide using Office" I find it hard to believe that the people who own iPads don't already use Microsoft office on other devices.Yes, it could increase sales of Office, but I doubt you'd see new customers.

That depends. People who use Office at work don't necessarily use it at home. If these people were to buy it for an iPad, they would technically be "new customers".
December 1, 2011 7:58:42 PM

phargeA MS powerpoint on iPad can be very useful. I know there are always several ways to work around, but a MS powerpoint for iPad will make everything much easier, specially those business men who do not know much of computers.
Just what we need - portable death by PowerPoint.
December 1, 2011 8:17:55 PM

how on earth would that be the slightest bit useful? an ipad will never, ever replace a desktop.
December 1, 2011 8:51:50 PM

jryan388how on earth would that be the slightest bit useful? an ipad will never, ever replace a desktop.

How would that NOT be useful? If I could take notes in a meeting and email them out without having to worry about re-typing them off my paper that would save me plenty of time. If I could present without having to drag my laptop around that would be great. If I could work on budget sheets while in a meeting and share them with everyone on a projector, I would totally do that.

I don't currently have an iPad, but if Office was release on an iPad I would seriously think about buying one. I don't think the iPad is trying to replace the desktop at all. But it could replace my (and many other people's) laptop. On my desktop I do a billion things with various programs. On my laptop I do Office, email, and the internet. If the iPad had Office, it could easily become my laptop replacement.

To be fair, the iPad wouldn't be an all-in-one laptop replacement for everyone, but for me it could be.
December 1, 2011 9:05:04 PM

so the office app is expected to cost $10?

I wish I could buy office on my PC for $10
December 1, 2011 9:37:37 PM

Well this is going to be the next step in the work environment, its actually a great idea!
December 1, 2011 9:48:43 PM

Ragnar-Kon said:
How would that NOT be useful? If I could take notes in a meeting and email them out without having to worry about re-typing them off my paper that would save me plenty of time. If I could present without having to drag my laptop around that would be great. If I could work on budget sheets while in a meeting and share them with everyone on a projector, I would totally do that.

I don't currently have an iPad, but if Office was release on an iPad I would seriously think about buying one. I don't think the iPad is trying to replace the desktop at all. But it could replace my (and many other people's) laptop. On my desktop I do a billion things with various programs. On my laptop I do Office, email, and the internet. If the iPad had Office, it could easily become my laptop replacement.

To be fair, the iPad wouldn't be an all-in-one laptop replacement for everyone, but for me it could be.

been doing exactly that for 8 yrs now on an IBM X41 tablet, it's still twice the machine a "modern"
tablet is. One Note is the bomb on it....
December 1, 2011 10:04:41 PM

Sorry, but the rumours are too numerous to count here.

What I predict is a compatible Office Web App version that works on the iPad. Microsoft isn't going to cannabalize sales of their desktop apps that have greater functionality and a higher price. They also don't want to pre-cannabalize sales of Windows 8 tablets by offering features early on the competition's tablets. Any prediction over a minimal secondary application is just the usual truthiness of the blogosphere.
December 1, 2011 11:18:06 PM

That's stupid do like apple keep available on your own tablet windows 8. Why create it for apple?
December 2, 2011 12:42:07 AM

Maybe it would be useful with a portable keyboard, but I don't know too many people that would want to type anything of great length on a tablet. Viewing/light editing of Office docs would be nice though but it seems like Office 356 would work for that and be less expensive in a corporate environment.
December 2, 2011 4:00:27 AM

Maybe this'll help drop the price of Microsoft Office on Windows! :p  It'd be nice if they released it on the iPhone at the very least.
December 2, 2011 5:32:34 AM

Powerpoint on iPad would be pointless as the iPad has no hdmi (mini/micro) or vga outputs that I am aware of... can't really see that small screen being remotely useful for presenting to a room full of people....
December 2, 2011 7:21:14 AM

DONT DO IT!!!
Wait for Windows 8 tablets and push it as the tablet for business, eventually iToy business users will switch camps
If you give the iPad access to Office there will be no reason for business to switch
December 2, 2011 10:28:21 AM

back_by_demandDONT DO IT!!!Wait for Windows 8 tablets and push it as the tablet for business, eventually iToy business users will switch campsIf you give the iPad access to Office there will be no reason for business to switch

Unlike you, MS is a business and they will (in most cases) not cut off their nose to spite their face. They will do whatever it takes to make $$$ and right now tar targeting iPad users is a good way to make $$$.
December 2, 2011 10:53:54 AM

STravisUnlike you, MS is a business and they will (in most cases) not cut off their nose to spite their face. They will do whatever it takes to make $$$ and right now tar targeting iPad users is a good way to make $$$.

MS doesn't need the money that badly in the short term and giving Office to iPad users will hurt them more long term as there will be no incentive to buy a Windows tablet.
MS needs to go back to playing the long game.
December 2, 2011 12:00:34 PM

back_by_demandMS doesn't need the money that badly in the short term and giving Office to iPad users will hurt them more long term as there will be no incentive to buy a Windows tablet.MS needs to go back to playing the long game.

Thank the gods someone else understands why this is such a bad idea! One of the reasons I was really drawn to WP7.5 is it's truly unique ability to edit and create real Word docs and Excel spreadsheets.

If the iPad could do this, the only incentive for users to buy a Win8 tablet over iOS would be the Metro UI... I love the Metro UI, but as far as I can tell with everyone else, it's pretty hit or miss.
December 2, 2011 12:03:59 PM

I'm sticking to Office 2000. Office 2010 and on is just too cluttered for me.
December 2, 2011 12:44:41 PM

ParsianMicrosoft is a great software company.

Troll.
Blah Blah, Open Office serves me just fine and Apple can keep their i-Tampon.
December 2, 2011 1:14:13 PM

Zettobeen doing exactly that for 8 yrs now on an IBM X41 tablet, it's still twice the machine a "modern"tablet is. One Note is the bomb on it....

Cut the crap. Do you think nobody else here has used any of the older tablet PC's? The original x41 is a POS compared to a new iPad. Clutzy, heavy, slow, and poor response with lousy touch gestures.
December 2, 2011 1:49:57 PM

psiboyPowerpoint on iPad would be pointless as the iPad has no hdmi (mini/micro) or vga outputs that I am aware of... can't really see that small screen being remotely useful for presenting to a room full of people....

Apples makes a VGA adapter that iPad's can use to output to a projector. We do that for training.
December 2, 2011 1:50:28 PM

Well they have Office for Mac so I guess no reason to stop there and I could see them releasing thier software on the iPad as well.
December 2, 2011 3:16:15 PM

With MS Office (from a business use perspective) there is a lot of customer code and integration development that occurs on a Windows platform. It isn't obvious to me (without a backend server) how cross iOS App API's could bring that ease of customization and cross software integration to the consumer. I'm evening thinking from the perspective of a downstream ISV where the Office package might be a prerequisite for another larger piece of Enterprise software.

Any thoughts on this? Has it already been tackled for other iOS apps?
December 2, 2011 3:44:09 PM

jimmy-beeTroll.Blah Blah, Open Office serves me just fine and Apple can keep their i-Tampon.

Open Office is great for people doing "simple" things. Try to import a compelx Word or Excel document with macros and see how "compatible" Open Office really is.
December 3, 2011 7:13:28 AM

Not sure about the need for an Office application on the iOS platform as I do not own an iPad, though if priced within $5 it can sell copies.
Anonymous
December 12, 2011 1:02:55 PM

"The current version of the desktop client, Office 2011, already supports Mac OS versions up to Snow Leopard."

I've been running Office 2011 under Lion for a few months now with no apparent ill effects. Perhaps it doesn't support some new Lion features, but I haven't noticed any short comings.
!