remove bad sector from ntfs partition

Hi,

I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectores on all partitions.
the drive has 3 partitions.
I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.

The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy
it and reformat.
Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover the
space without a format?

I heard that dfsee utitily can doe this but I cannot find specific
insturctions of an ntfs partition.

Thanks
Hod
38 answers Last reply
More about remove sector ntfs partition

    "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectores on all
    partitions.
    > the drive has 3 partitions.
    > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
    > rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    >
    > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy
    > it and reformat.
    > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover
    the
    > space without a format?

    Beware. The bad sectors shouldn't be there. Assume the drive will soon
    die.

    Hod wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectores on all
    > partitions. the drive has 3 partitions.
    > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
    > rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    >
    > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy
    > it and reformat.
    > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover
    > the space without a format?
    >
    > I heard that dfsee utitily can doe this but I cannot find specific
    > insturctions of an ntfs partition.

    First find out why you're getting bad sectors. IDE drives map out bad
    sectors at the first opportunity, so not seeing them on the disk doesn't
    mean that the disk is in good shape. Once an IDE drive starts showing
    multiple bad sectors it's generally going to die real soon.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Hi Ron,

    If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the bad
    sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?

    Hod

    "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d9kdg1$g06$1@news2.netvision.net.il...
    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the bad
    > sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?

    Ignore Ron, most of us do.

    The PowerMax LLF also is a diagnostic. It will tell you if the drive should be replaced.

    Best to run SMART utility before and save the results. The LLF resets SMART counters.

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:d9k7rj0ukt@news4.newsguy.com
    > Hod wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectors on all
    > > partitions. the drive has 3 partitions.
    > > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
    > > rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    > >
    > > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy
    > > it and reformat.
    > > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover
    > > the space without a format?
    > >
    > > I heard that dfsee utility can do this but I cannot find specific
    > > instructions of an ntfs partition.
    >
    > First find out why you're getting bad sectors.

    > IDE drives

    And so do SCSI drives

    > map out bad sectors at the first opportunity,

    Which is either a write to the candidate bad sector (i.e. marked
    after a previous unsuccessful read) or a successful read retry.

    > so not seeing them on the disk doesn't mean that the disk is in
    > good shape.

    > Once an IDE drive

    But not for a SCSI drive, obviously.

    > starts showing multiple bad sectors it's generally going to die
    > real soon.

    Or just not so real soon depending on the rate of increase and the
    number of available spare sectors if the cause is not drive internal.

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hod wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectors on all
    > > > partitions. the drive has 3 partitions.
    > > > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and
    got
    > > > rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    > > >
    > > > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to
    copy
    > > > it and reformat.
    > > > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and
    recover
    > > > the space without a format?
    > > >
    > > > I heard that dfsee utility can do this but I cannot find specific
    > > > instructions of an ntfs partition.
    > >
    > > First find out why you're getting bad sectors.
    >
    > > IDE drives
    >
    > And so do SCSI drives
    >
    > > map out bad sectors at the first opportunity,
    >
    > Which is either a write to the candidate bad sector (i.e. marked
    > after a previous unsuccessful read) or a successful read retry.
    >
    > > so not seeing them on the disk doesn't mean that the disk is in
    > > good shape.
    >
    > > Once an IDE drive
    >
    > But not for a SCSI drive, obviously.
    >
    > > starts showing multiple bad sectors it's generally going to die
    > > real soon.
    >
    > Or just not so real soon depending on the rate of increase and the
    > number of available spare sectors if the cause is not drive internal.

    "if the cause is not drive internal"...gremlins and exorcism again huh?

    Hod wrote:

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the bad
    > sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?

    Because you talked to an idiot--call back and ask for "second tier". Or
    just set it aside with the power on and check it now and then until it
    finishing dying.

    IDE drives have spare sectors, so that a reformat makes bad sectors _appear_
    to go away. They haven't gone away, they're still there, they're just no
    longer visible. They _should_ go away when you write to the affected
    sector. This is all handled transparently by the drive firmware.
    Occasionally you may see a single bad sector, bu if you are seeing
    _multiple_ bad sectors simultaneously then there's something unpleasant
    going on with the drive.

    --

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    > > Hi Ron,
    > >
    > > If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the
    bad
    > > sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?
    > >
    > Ignore Ron, most of us do.
    >
    > The PowerMax LLF also is a diagnostic. It will tell you if the drive
    should be replaced.

    > Best to run SMART utility before and save the results. The LLF resets
    SMART counters.

    The gisin newbie lashes out in ignorance again.

    PowerMAX does not do a LLF. It IS however valuable to run PowerMAX on the
    drive.

    Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message

    > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectores on all partitions.

    How many bad sectors in total ?

    > the drive has 3 partitions.
    > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got rid
    > of the bad sectors in these partitions.

    > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy it
    > and reformat.

    That means you are running without backups. Mad.

    > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover the
    > space without a format?

    No point really, only one file per bad sector is affected.

    If you have deleted that file, one of the security wipes
    that wipe free space should get rid of the bad sector.

    > I heard that dfsee utitily can doe this but I cannot find specific
    > insturctions of an ntfs partition.

    Hi Ron,

    Got 9 bad sectors.

    I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors, is
    that the security wipe you refer to.

    I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.

    Hod

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3i5jttFjsneeU1@individual.net
    > Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d9k0gh$bs4$1@news2.netvision.net.il...
    >
    > > I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectors on all partitions.
    >
    > How many bad sectors in total ?
    >
    > > the drive has 3 partitions.
    > > I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got rid
    > > of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    >
    > > The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy it
    > > and reformat.
    >
    > That means you are running without backups. Mad.
    >
    > > Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover the
    > > space without a format?
    >
    > No point really, only one file per bad sector is affected.
    >
    > If you have deleted that file, one of the security wipes
    > that wipe free space should get rid of the bad sector.

    But the bad sectors are not in the free space, so that won't work.

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Got 9 bad sectors.
    >
    > I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors,
    is
    > that the security wipe you refer to.
    >
    > I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.

    Your HD is about to die. Replace it.

    Hod wrote:

    > Got 9 bad sectors.
    >
    > I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors, is
    > that the security wipe you refer to.
    >
    > I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.

    You cant get rid of a bad sectors. You can only use utility to mark them
    bad so no data tries to write to it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:42bdbafc$0$719$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com
    > Hod wrote:
    > >
    > > Got 9 bad sectors.
    > >
    > > I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors, is
    > > that the security wipe you refer to.
    > >
    > > I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > > partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    >

    > You cant get rid of a bad sectors.

    Yes, you can. Where have you been hiding the last decade.

    > You can only use utility to mark them
    > bad so no data tries to write to it.

    Nonsense.

    "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:hQive.1025747$w62.476511@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d9kd01$fpt$1@news2.netvision.net.il...
    > > Hi Ron,
    > >
    > > Got 9 bad sectors.
    > >
    > > I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors, is
    > > that the security wipe you refer to.
    > >
    > > I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > > partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    >

    > Your HD is about to die. Replace it.

    Clueless.
    Find out first what's causing them before you mindlessly replace,
    otherwise the same may happen to the replacement drive.

    Plato wrote:

    > Hod wrote:
    >>
    >> Got 9 bad sectors.
    >>
    >> I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors,
    >> is that the security wipe you refer to.
    >>
    >> I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    >> partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    >
    > You cant get rid of a bad sectors. You can only use utility to mark them
    > bad so no data tries to write to it.

    While it is true that the sector remains on the disk, IDE drives have
    sparing-when a bad sector is detected a spare is mapped in so that the OS
    does not see a bad sector any longer.

    --

    > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Ron,
    > > >
    > > > Got 9 bad sectors.
    > > >
    > > > I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad
    sectors, is
    > > > that the security wipe you refer to.
    > > >
    > > > I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > > > partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    > >

    > > Your HD is about to die. Replace it.
    >
    > Clueless.
    > Find out first what's causing them before you mindlessly replace,
    > otherwise the same may happen to the replacement drive.

    Wacko, what causes an increase in bad sectors save impending more and then
    drive death. Do you recommend looking gremlins and then excorism?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:tjmve.358590$cg1.77749@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:42bdee62$1$62504$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...

    > sectors, is

    > > > Your HD is about to die. Replace it.
    > >
    > > Clueless.
    > > Find out first what's causing them before you mindlessly replace,
    > > otherwise the same may happen to the replacement drive.
    >
    > Wacko, what causes an increase in bad sectors save impending more and then
    > drive death. Do you recommend looking gremlins and then excorism?

    Time for your meds, Ronnie, you're babbling incoherently again.

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > > > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > > sectors, is

    > > > Clueless.
    > > > Find out first what's causing them before you mindlessly replace,
    > > > otherwise the same may happen to the replacement drive.
    > >
    > > Wacko, what causes an increase in bad sectors save impending more and
    then
    > > drive death. Do you recommend looking gremlins and then excorism?
    >
    > Time for your meds, Ronnie, you're babbling incoherently again.

    A usual cracker response when you get caught with your pants down.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Hod wrote

    >> Got 9 bad sectors.

    >> I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of
    >> the bad sectors, is that the security wipe you refer to.

    >> I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition
    >> copy with partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.

    > You cant get rid of a bad sectors.

    He said he has already with the partitions he didnt mind reformatting.

    The reformat likely triggered the drive into reallocating the bads.

    > You can only use utility to mark them bad so no data tries to write to it.

    Its more complicated than that.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <d9kdg1$g06$1@news2.netvision.net.il>, Hod
    <hodwi@netvision.net.il> writes

    >If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the bad
    >sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?

    Maxtor drives are unreliable shite. Replace it with a better make.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Mike Tomlinson" <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <d9kdg1$g06$1@news2.netvision.net.il>, Hod
    > <hodwi@netvision.net.il> writes
    >
    > >If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the
    bad
    > >sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?
    >
    > Maxtor drives are unreliable shite. Replace it with a better make.

    Nonsense.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

    >>> I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectors on all partitions.

    >> How many bad sectors in total ?

    >>> the drive has 3 partitions.
    >>> I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
    >>> rid
    >>> of the bad sectors in these partitions.

    >>> The third partition is the system and is quit
    >>> large so I dont want to copy it and reformat.

    >> That means you are running without backups. Mad.

    >>> Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form
    >>> the ntfs list and recover the space without a format?

    >> No point really, only one file per bad sector is affected.

    >> If you have deleted that file, one of the security wipes
    >> that wipe free space should get rid of the bad sector.

    > But the bad sectors are not in the free space,

    Corse they are AFTER THE FILE WITH THE
    BAD SECTOR IN IT IS DELETED, CRETIN.

    > so that won't work.

    Pathetic, really.

    >>> I heard that dfsee utility can doe this but I cannot
    >>> find specific instructions of an ntfs partition.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Hi,
    I agree the disk is unstable, I aready purchased a WD drive which in my
    experience are much more reliable.
    But I want to do a partition copy using partitionmagic.
    How do I remove the bad sectors so they will not be copied to the new drive.
    Do you know of specific insturctionas for the DFSEE utility to do this?

    Thanks
    Hod

    "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectores on all
    > partitions.
    >> the drive has 3 partitions.
    >> I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and
    >> got
    >> rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    >>
    >> The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to
    >> copy
    >> it and reformat.
    >> Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover
    > the
    >> space without a format?
    >
    > Beware. The bad sectors shouldn't be there. Assume the drive will soon
    > die.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3i6gacFk111pU1@individual.net...
    > Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:42bdee62$0$62504$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
    > > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    > >> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

    > >> How many bad sectors in total ?

    > >> That means you are running without backups. Mad.

    > >> No point really, only one file per bad sector is affected.
    >
    > >> If you have deleted that file, one of the security wipes
    > >> that wipe free space should get rid of the bad sector.
    >
    > > But the bad sectors are not in the free space,
    >
    > Corse they are AFTER THE FILE WITH THE
    > BAD SECTOR IN IT IS DELETED, CRETIN.

    Thanks, oh mighty clueless one, for that completely superfluous
    proof of that you haven't got a single clue of what he's asking:
    "Is there a way to remove the bad sectors from the
    ntfs list and recover the space without a format?"

    > > so that won't work.
    >
    > Pathetic, really.

    Indeed you are.
    Still can't workout how to setup OE either.

  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <XAuve.359795$cg1.314421@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> writes

    >Nonsense.

    Just like your repeated claims that there was nothing wrong with the
    Deskstar 75GXPs?

    BTW: I had another two 75GXPs fail this week. On one of these units,
    at 13:00 the system log showed a read error on the drive. At 15:00 it
    was completely inaccessible and has remained so.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:d9leh50bjm@news2.newsguy.com...
    > Hod wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Ron,
    > >
    > > If this is the case why does Maxtor support tell me to get reed of the bad
    > > sectors by doing a low level format and not tell me to return it?
    >
    > Because you talked to an idiot--

    Who are you calling an idiot, idiot!

    > call back and ask for "second tier".

    As if that will make a difference. He's an employee of the
    manufacturer who put the spare tracks there for a reason,
    to be used, so that drives can have a useful life.
    And now you expect him to apostatize his employer. Clueless.

    > Or just set it aside with
    > the power on and check it now and then until it finishing dying.

    Or will never die.

    > IDE drives have spare sectors, so that a reformat makes bad sectors _appear_
    > to go away.

    What a difference with when it comes from the factory with literally
    hundreds of those hidden already.

    > They haven't gone away, they're still there, they're just no
    > longer visible.

    Keeping company with the ones that have been there from the start.

    > They _should_ go away when you write to the affected sector. T
    > This is all handled transparently by the drive firmware.
    > Occasionally you may see a single bad sector, bu if you are seeing
    > _multiple_ bad sectors simultaneously then there's something unpleasant
    > going on with the drive.

    Or the system. If you are *seeing* bad sectors then they went from
    good to bad in a instant (as opposed to gradually). That can be indicative
    of a crash OR can be indicative of bad power supply or overheating.

    And the fact that you find multiple doesn't necessarily
    mean that they all came into being all at the same time.
    It may just be that you haven't checked in a while and when
    you do you find some that accumulated gradually over time.

    > > Hod

    > >> Beware. The bad sectors shouldn't be there. Assume the drive will soon die.
    > >>

    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d9m0s9$1ae$1@news2.netvision.net.il...
    > Hi,
    > I agree the disk is unstable,

    Or your system is.
    Check your powersupply and/or supply_of_power to the drive.
    Check the drive temperature. Check S.M.A.R.T.
    Don't speculate.

    > I already purchased a WD drive which in my
    > experience are much more reliable.
    > But I want to do a partition copy using partitionmagic.
    > How do I remove the bad sectors so they will not be copied to the new drive.
    > Do you know of specific instructions for the DFSEE utility to do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Hod
    >
    > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:3qhve.1025329$w62.804695@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > >
    > > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d9k0gh$bs4$1@news2.netvision.net.il...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I have a maxtor 120GB drive which developed bad sectors on all partitions.
    > >> the drive has 3 partitions.
    > >> I deleted 2 of the partitions and reformatted using partitionmagic and got
    > >> rid of the bad sectors in these partitions.
    > >>
    > >> The third partition is the system and is quit large so I dont want to copy
    > >> it and reformat.
    > >> Is there a way to remove the bad sectors form the ntfs list and recover the
    > >> space without a format?
    > >
    > > Beware. The bad sectors shouldn't be there. Assume the drive will soon die.

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:d9leh61bjh@news2.newsguy.com...
    > Plato wrote:
    >
    > > Hod wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Got 9 bad sectors.
    > >>
    > >> I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors,
    > >> is that the security wipe you refer to.
    > >>
    > >> I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    > >> partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    > >
    > > You cant get rid of a bad sectors. You can only use utility to mark them
    > > bad so no data tries to write to it.
    >
    > While it is true that the sector remains on the disk, IDE drives have
    > sparing-when a bad sector is detected a spare is mapped in so that the OS
    > does not see a bad sector any longer.

    Which SCSI got from the start. Nobody ever made a point of it.
    When it was introduced in IDE people suddenly started to cry fowl.

    IDE is indeed the poor man's drive. The poor man doesn't understand how
    technology works. What the poor man doesn't understand he rejects.
    Odd how the poor man didn't cry fowl when MS hid the bad sectors
    in the FAT. Now that drives do it themselves without bothering the user
    it suddenly isn't accepted.

    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:43:31 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
    <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

    >> While it is true that the sector remains on the disk, IDE drives have
    >> sparing-when a bad sector is detected a spare is mapped in so that the OS
    >> does not see a bad sector any longer.

    >Which SCSI got from the start. Nobody ever made a point of it.
    >When it was introduced in IDE people suddenly started to cry fowl.

    >IDE is indeed the poor man's drive. The poor man doesn't understand how
    >technology works. What the poor man doesn't understand he rejects.
    >Odd how the poor man didn't cry fowl when MS hid the bad sectors
    >in the FAT. Now that drives do it themselves without bothering the user
    >it suddenly isn't accepted.

    Wait until the poor man discovers that a non-trivial part of his CPU
    is dead circuits. The same is true of memory components and other
    complex microelectronics.

    Or maybe he will completely freak out to find his body has a
    non-trivial number of dead cells.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
    --John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    <puerile trollshit flushed where it belongs>

    Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Only recoverable bad sectors are replaced on read (remapped and copied). If
    the sector is FUBAR, it won't be replaced/remapped until it's written to.

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > Plato wrote:
    >
    >> Hod wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Got 9 bad sectors.
    >>>
    >>> I tried chkdsk several times and it does not get rid of the bad sectors,
    >>> is that the security wipe you refer to.
    >>>
    >>> I want to get rid of the bad sectors to do a partition copy with
    >>> partitionmagic and not retain the bad sectors.
    >>
    >> You cant get rid of a bad sectors. You can only use utility to mark them
    >> bad so no data tries to write to it.
    >
    > While it is true that the sector remains on the disk, IDE drives have
    > sparing-when a bad sector is detected a spare is mapped in so that the OS
    > does not see a bad sector any longer.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:12:28 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    ><puerile trollshit flushed where it belongs>
    >
    >Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message

    Rodboy can sure dish it out, but he can't take it.

    Leftist Queer.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
    --John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
    Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
    bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:06:14 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
    >Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
    >bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    >and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

    <yawn>

    Everyone knows you are a troll. Your sock puppets do not fool anyone.

    Anyone who listens to your bullshit deserves the consequences.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
    Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
    bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:14:40 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
    >Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
    >bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    >and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

    Yet another datum point confirming my claim that Troll Rodboy is a
    robot. He says the same exact thing over and over and over...

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Some pathetically senile silly old redneck fart desperately cowering behind
    Bob <spam@uce.gov> desperately attempted to
    bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

NTFS Partition Storage