Please recommend a bus-powered external USB drive or enclo..

Tags:
  • Bus
  • External USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 26, 2005 3:16:22 PM

I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

More about : recommend bus powered external usb drive enclo

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 9:24:19 AM

Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message

> I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with
> a laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
> laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and
> the size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB.
> Reliability is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

> Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which
> I can mount a drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_retail_po...
looks interesting. Havent tried one tho.

http://seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/external/portab...
shows its got a connection to two USB ports to help with the power.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 9:24:20 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:24:19 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with
>> a laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
>> laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and
>> the size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB.
>> Reliability is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
>
>> Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which
>> I can mount a drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?
>
>http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_retail_po...
>looks interesting. Havent tried one tho.
>
>http://seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/external/portab...
>shows its got a connection to two USB ports to help with the power.

Thanks Rod. I think HP sells that same package with their branding on
it. Both utilize 2.5" drives if I'm not mistaken.

After looking around today at what's available, I think my preference
would be to go with a 1.8" drive. Smaller enclosure, probably a lower
power requirement, and most likely fewer heat related problems. Maybe
even a bit more durable given the 1.8" drive's lower overall mass and
the fact that the drives are primarily manufactured for iPods and
similar portable devices, which almost certainly see harsher treatment
than most laptop drives.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 4:15:10 PM

Previously Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote:
> I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
> laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
> laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
> size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
> is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

> Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
> drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

One note: This will only work if your laptop has an USB port
that can supply 500mA. You should check that first.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 5:36:18 PM

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3ia8ueFke7fqU2@individual.net...
> Previously Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
> > laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
> > laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
> > size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
> > is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
>
> > Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
> > drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?
>
> One note: This will only work if your laptop has an USB port
> that can supply 500mA. You should check that first.

That is a requirement of USB. Many ports can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?
June 28, 2005 1:27:46 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:36:18 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
<ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That is a requirement of USB. Many ports can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

>If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

>Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?

If you pay any attention to this notorious troll, you will suffer the
consequences.

You have been warned.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The possession of arms is the distinction
between a free man and a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 1:27:47 AM

Reported to abuse@rr.com for spamming.

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message news:42c06f21.4916437@news-server.houston.rr.com...

> If you pay any attention to this notorious troll, you will suffer the
> consequences.
>
> You have been warned.
>
> --
>
> Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
> http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html
>
> "The possession of arms is the distinction
> between a free man and a slave."
> -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 6:24:45 AM

USB powered enclosures have been hit or miss for me. That is, I have 1 USB
enclosure (vantec I think, not sure) which houses an 80gb drive, and it
works on some systems from the USB power and on others it does not. On my
PC at work I installed an extension from the rear USB ports so I can have 2
USB ports right on the top of my desk. They work great for everything,
except my USB powered enclosure. For some reason the drive is flaky on
those ports but works fine on the front panel ports. Huh. Once you know
the hoops you have to jump through you just do what you know works.

Luckily the enclosures are really cheap, so you could try a few if need be.

--Dan

"Eli" <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
> laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
> laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
> size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
> is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
>
> Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
> drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 12:14:00 PM

Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote

>> That is a requirement of USB. Many ports
>> can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

>> If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two
>> USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

>> Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?

> If you pay any attention to this notorious
> troll, you will suffer the consequences.

> You have been warned.

Your pathetically senile pig ignorant drivel in spades.
June 28, 2005 5:14:28 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:47:46 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
<ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Reported to abuse@rr.com for spamming.

LOL

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The possession of arms is the distinction
between a free man and a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
June 28, 2005 5:15:20 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:14:00 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> If you pay any attention to this notorious
>> troll, you will suffer the consequences.
>> You have been warned.

>Your pathetically senile pig ignorant drivel in spades.

Yet another datum point confirming my claim that Troll Rodboy is a
robot. He says the same exact thing over and over and over...

--

!