Please recommend a bus-powered external USB drive or enclo..

I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?
10 answers Last reply
More about please recommend powered external drive enclo

    Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message

    > I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with
    > a laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
    > laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and
    > the size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB.
    > Reliability is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

    > Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which
    > I can mount a drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

    http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_retail_portable.pdf
    looks interesting. Havent tried one tho.

    http://seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/external/portable_qs.pdf
    shows its got a connection to two USB ports to help with the power.

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:24:19 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with
    >> a laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
    >> laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and
    >> the size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB.
    >> Reliability is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
    >
    >> Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which
    >> I can mount a drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?
    >
    >http://seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_retail_portable.pdf
    >looks interesting. Havent tried one tho.
    >
    >http://seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/external/portable_qs.pdf
    >shows its got a connection to two USB ports to help with the power.

    Thanks Rod. I think HP sells that same package with their branding on
    it. Both utilize 2.5" drives if I'm not mistaken.

    After looking around today at what's available, I think my preference
    would be to go with a 1.8" drive. Smaller enclosure, probably a lower
    power requirement, and most likely fewer heat related problems. Maybe
    even a bit more durable given the 1.8" drive's lower overall mass and
    the fact that the drives are primarily manufactured for iPods and
    similar portable devices, which almost certainly see harsher treatment
    than most laptop drives.

    Previously Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote:
    > I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
    > laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
    > laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
    > size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
    > is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.

    > Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
    > drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

    One note: This will only work if your laptop has an USB port
    that can supply 500mA. You should check that first.

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3ia8ueFke7fqU2@individual.net...
    > Previously Eli <u1@zolx.com> wrote:
    > > I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
    > > laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
    > > laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
    > > size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
    > > is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
    >
    > > Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
    > > drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?
    >
    > One note: This will only work if your laptop has an USB port
    > that can supply 500mA. You should check that first.

    That is a requirement of USB. Many ports can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

    If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

    Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:36:18 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >That is a requirement of USB. Many ports can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

    >If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

    >Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?

    If you pay any attention to this notorious troll, you will suffer the
    consequences.

    You have been warned.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)

    Reported to abuse@rr.com for spamming.

    "Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message news:42c06f21.4916437@news-server.houston.rr.com...

    > If you pay any attention to this notorious troll, you will suffer the
    > consequences.
    >
    > You have been warned.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    > http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html
    >
    > "The possession of arms is the distinction
    > between a free man and a slave."
    > -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)

    USB powered enclosures have been hit or miss for me. That is, I have 1 USB
    enclosure (vantec I think, not sure) which houses an 80gb drive, and it
    works on some systems from the USB power and on others it does not. On my
    PC at work I installed an extension from the rear USB ports so I can have 2
    USB ports right on the top of my desk. They work great for everything,
    except my USB powered enclosure. For some reason the drive is flaky on
    those ports but works fine on the front panel ports. Huh. Once you know
    the hoops you have to jump through you just do what you know works.

    Luckily the enclosures are really cheap, so you could try a few if need be.

    --Dan

    "Eli" <u1@zolx.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to find an external USB drive that can easily be used with a
    > laptop. This means that it will need to be powered off of the
    > laptop's USB bus. The speed isn't particularly important, and the
    > size doesn't have to be terribly large - say 30 to 40GB. Reliability
    > is my chief concern after the above criteria are met.
    >
    > Any recommendations for either an enclosure into which I can mount a
    > drive or a packaged drive/enclosure solution?

    Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
    > Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote

    >> That is a requirement of USB. Many ports
    >> can provide 1A long enough to spin up a 2.5"

    >> If the ports are 0.5A, you need to use two
    >> USB ports or power brick with 2.5" drives.

    >> Anyone know the power requirements of smaller drives?

    > If you pay any attention to this notorious
    > troll, you will suffer the consequences.

    > You have been warned.

    Your pathetically senile pig ignorant drivel in spades.

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:47:46 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Reported to abuse@rr.com for spamming.

    LOL

    --

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:14:00 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >> If you pay any attention to this notorious
    >> troll, you will suffer the consequences.
    >> You have been warned.

    >Your pathetically senile pig ignorant drivel in spades.

    Yet another datum point confirming my claim that Troll Rodboy is a
    robot. He says the same exact thing over and over and over...

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)

Bus External USB Storage