Not Capturing all of the video

i have a Panasonica mini-DV and Firewire card for laptop,

when I try to Capture the video it cuts in and out and only records random
parts, like it is skipping. The tape is playing fine and I know the Camera
and Cable work, because I have used them on the PC I had, but now that I try
it on the laptop with a new Firewire card, it only records patches here and
there. I am thoroughly confused

Disable software running in the background while you're capturing -
especially antivirus running in realtime - just do NOT forget to re-enable
it afterwards.

Also run a disk cleanup and defrag before you capture.
www.coribright.com