Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad Partition/Table/Drive? - Help please

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 1:37:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi,

I have a fairly new Western Digital 160 GB hard drive that I think has
a bad partition(s) but I’m not too sure. I am kind of new to hard
drives, so the description might be convoluted and I apologize. I
partitioned the drive into 4 NTFS drives, C (20GB), and an extended
partition (or called logical?) of 20, 20, and 100 GBs. Basically it
seems like one part is 20GB, and the other 137GB is subdivided into 3
drives.

Symptoms: My folders and files occasionally disappear with an error
message stating that they are corrupt and inaccessible. I get an
error message when closing programs, and some programs don’t open.
:(  Then Windows XP Professional shuts down and can’t restart, even in
safe mode. I have to reinstall XP to get into Windows.

Attempts to fix: This is where I am most confused. Partition Magic
Pro 7.0 tells me that the F: drive (100GB one) has ~22% (20GB) of
"bad" space. Chkdsk also reports some bad sectors of about 19GB but
can’t seem to fix them. But Norton Disk Doctor 2005 doesn’t detect
anything under regular scan, and I’m not sure if I want to try a
deeper scan (with fix errors options checked) because I read that Disk
Doctor isn’t a good tool? :?

So do I have a physically damaged drive, bad partition, bad partition
table, bad sectors, or a combination? And how do I fix it? :( 
This drive is only 2ish months old so I guess I can call for a
warranty if need be. Thanks in advance,

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Bad-Partition-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293373
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 5:50:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

jfk2009 <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
news:7_293373_c32bd42d08580d7827df36b02ff523f9@hardwareforumz.com...

> I have a fairly new Western Digital 160 GB hard drive that I think
> has a bad partition(s) but I’m not too sure. I am kind of new to
> hard drives, so the description might be convoluted and I apologize.
> I partitioned the drive into 4 NTFS drives, C (20GB), and an
> extended partition (or called logical?) of 20, 20, and 100 GBs.

It has 3 logical drives of 20, 20, and 100 GBs within the extended partition.

> Basically it seems like one part is 20GB, and
> the other 137GB is subdivided into 3 drives.

Correct.

> Symptoms: My folders and files occasionally disappear with
> an error message stating that they are corrupt and inaccessible.

> I get an error message when closing
> programs, and some programs don’t open.
> :(  Then Windows XP Professional shuts down and can’t restart,
> even in safe mode. I have to reinstall XP to get into Windows.

Basically you are running without 48 bit LBA support and that is seeing
the drive wrap around at 128GB and the bootable partition on the front
of the drive with XP on it is getting stamped on in the process.

> Attempts to fix: This is where I am most confused. Partition Magic
> Pro 7.0 tells me that the F: drive (100GB one) has ~22% (20GB) of
> "bad" space. Chkdsk also reports some bad sectors of about 19GB
> but can’t seem to fix them. But Norton Disk Doctor 2005 doesn’t
> detect anything under regular scan, and I’m not sure if I want to
> try a deeper scan (with fix errors options checked) because I
> read that Disk Doctor isn’t a good tool? :?

Yes, it can makes quite a mess of a drive thats got problems.

> So do I have a physically damaged drive,

Nope.

> bad partition, bad partition table, bad sectors, or a combination?

Nope.

> And how do I fix it? :( 

Enable 48 bit LBA support.

The simplest way to do that is to make a slipstreamed XP XP2
distribution CD and install XP again from scratch using that.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t2235...
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

> This drive is only 2ish months old so I guess I can call for a warranty if
> need be.

No need, the drive is fine.
!