A Question about Dell Dimension systems Memory

Hi all,

I purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 & 9100. The 2400 came with 256MB of
PC3200 DDR CL3 in one of two available [MM] slots. The 9100 has 4 [MM]
slots with, in two banks, with a 256MB PC2-4200 DDR module in each
bank.

I'm under the impression that the 2400 will accept/recognize 2 ×
512MB PC3200 and the 9100 will accept/recognize 4 × 1024 MB PC2-4200
DDR. I believe I read somewhere it'll even recognize 4 × 2048MB (=
8192MB) if a 64-bit O/S is being used.

My question: How picky and/or accepting are typicall Dell systems of
memory modules? I was looking at getting a pair of 512MB PC3200 for the
cheaper Dimension 2400 to max it out and pick up a pair of 1024MB
PC2-4200 DDR for the Dimension 9100. I have a Fry's Electronics nearby
and was looking at various ads on pricewatch.com but don't want to
order up some modules to find out that they don't work in these
computers. Dell in their ultimate wisdom didn't include any
documentation on the actual hardware in these systems and just some
stupid "Product Information Guide" manuals that were mostly useless and
completely generic.

Thanks,

OregonMike

Ron Reaugh wrote:
> This NG is about disk, tape etc. Go ask in the NG: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Ooops,

I have no idea how my post ended up in this group -- stupid damn
Microsoft software! I didn't click on this group but on another and
typed most my post and then went and read some postings in this group
before pressing send in the other window. Somehow, my post got
redirected to this group! Sorry about that. I was wondering why I
couldn't find my post in the other group earlier!
The damn thing ended up in here!

OregonMike