parition copy without bad sectors

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Hi,
I have a large ntfs partition with several bad sectors.
I want to copy it using partitionmagic to another disk.
How can I do this with out coping the bad sectors also?

Thanks
Hod

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:59:56 +0300, "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a large ntfs partition with several bad sectors.
>I want to copy it using partitionmagic to another disk.
>How can I do this with out coping the bad sectors also?
>
>Thanks
>Hod

How about use PM to make your destination partition, then use xxcopy to
copy the files and permissions. http://www.xxcopy.com/

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:

> I have a large ntfs partition with several bad sectors.
> I want to copy it using partitionmagic to another disk.
> How can I do this with out coping the bad sectors also?

It depends on whether there is data in the bad sectors that you want to recover,
or there is none. If no important data resides in the bad sectors then do as
suggested by Michael Cecil (create a partition and copy to it with XXCOPY x:\
y:\ /CLONE, where x,y denote the drive letters assigned to the source drive and
destination).

If you wish trying to recover the data in the bad sectors, or the drive is
deteriorating and dying, then clone the drive immediately before it's too late.
Software to make such clone is available from www.resq.co.il/resq.php (requires
registration).

You may call 03-9027777 during work hours, for advice, if needed.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

"Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message news:l8ovb1tgjlpjd5hl1hkqgspqc0io9rni8e@4ax.com
> "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:
>
> > I have a large ntfs partition with several bad sectors.
> > I want to copy it using partitionmagic to another disk.
> > How can I do this with out coping the bad sectors also?
>
> It depends on whether there is data in the bad sectors that you want to recover,
> or there is none. If no important data resides in the bad sectors then do as
> suggested by Michael Cecil (create a partition and copy to it with XXCOPY x:\
> y:\ /CLONE, where x,y denote the drive letters assigned to the source drive and
> destination).
>
> If you wish trying to recover the data in the bad sectors, or the drive is
> deteriorating and dying, then clone the drive immediately before it's too late.

If the drive is really dying, mindlessly copying the whole drive instead of what you
need from it will kill the drive for sure.

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
> "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
> > "Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:

> > > I have a large ntfs partition with several bad sectors.
> > > I want to copy it using partitionmagic to another disk.
> > > How can I do this with out coping the bad sectors also?
> >
> > It depends on whether there is data in the bad sectors that you want to recover,
> > or there is none. If no important data resides in the bad sectors then do as
> > suggested by Michael Cecil (create a partition and copy to it with XXCOPY x:\
> > y:\ /CLONE, where x,y denote the drive letters assigned to the source drive and
> > destination).
> >
> > If you wish trying to recover the data in the bad sectors, or the drive is
> > deteriorating and dying, then clone the drive immediately before it's too late.
>
> If the drive is really dying, mindlessly copying the whole drive instead of what you
> need from it will kill the drive for sure.

If copying what he needed was so easy then he wouldn't need your advise for it.
Based on vast experience, cloning is the best solution for saving the content of
a dying drive, and gives the highest chances for a full recovery.

Regards, Zvi