video dosent show up on the tv?

My friend has a video card that has an Svideo plug so he can plug his
computer into the tv. Its cool and all. Its nice to watch him play on the tv
rather then the moniter cause its smaller. Any way, we cant watch videos on
the TV. We open up the video and all we see on the TV is a black box where
the video is. How ever, if my friend loads up knopix or linux (Devilix and
satanux), he can see the video just fine. I dont know if the program he is
using makes a diffrence, he uses winamp (newest version) when hes in windows
trying to watch videos on the TV and i dont know what he uses for the other
OSes

Sounds like something to do with video overlay's not being passed on to the
output.

Video 'overlay' is where on the screen a solid color box is placed, and the
video image is actually placed off screen into the video card memory.

Then the card is told to display the video where the box is at.

It helps with titles and other stuff. It's how most video players do it.

So he needs to tell his video driver or his video player to not use
overlay's.

There might also be an option in the video card driver about how it handles
overlays.

"Litch" <Litch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My friend has a video card that has an Svideo plug so he can plug his
> computer into the tv. Its cool and all. Its nice to watch him play on the
> tv
> rather then the moniter cause its smaller. Any way, we cant watch videos
> on
> the TV. We open up the video and all we see on the TV is a black box where
> the video is. How ever, if my friend loads up knopix or linux (Devilix and
> satanux), he can see the video just fine. I dont know if the program he is
> using makes a diffrence, he uses winamp (newest version) when hes in
> windows
> trying to watch videos on the TV and i dont know what he uses for the
> other
> OSes

neptune

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

"Litch" <Litch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| My friend has a video card that has an Svideo plug so he can plug his
| computer into the tv. Its cool and all. Its nice to watch him play on the
tv
| rather then the moniter cause its smaller. Any way, we cant watch videos on
| the TV. We open up the video and all we see on the TV is a black box where
| the video is. How ever, if my friend loads up knopix or linux (Devilix and
| satanux), he can see the video just fine. I dont know if the program he is
| using makes a diffrence, he uses winamp (newest version) when hes in
windows
| trying to watch videos on the TV and i dont know what he uses for the other
| OSes

I don't know what you used to play your Video, if you use Microsoft Media
Player, than be sure you do not select "Modem speed" under performance.
MPlayer will cut off the image if you tried to play back the Image from the
Internet site. Usually video Overlay is part of a video driver's
responsibility, it should handle it.

Good luck