Plan of Attack for HL2

I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else seen
this problem?

Jim
7 answers Last reply
More about plan attack

    Jim wrote:
    > I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
    > the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else seen
    > this problem?
    >
    > Jim

    I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
    firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
    me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's worked
    fine since.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    Shawk wrote on 5/23/2005 10:59 AM:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
    >> the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else
    >> seen this problem?
    >>
    >> Jim
    >

    > I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
    > firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
    > me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's worked
    > fine since.

    Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
    make sure. It didnt work.

    I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
    but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
    happens when I click "Start New Game"

    There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
    up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
    at 2:30 and counting down.

    Any other ideas?

    Jim

    Jim wrote:
    > Shawk wrote on 5/23/2005 10:59 AM:
    >
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot
    >>> see the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone
    >>> else seen this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Jim
    >>

    >> I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
    >> firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
    >> me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's
    >> worked fine since.
    >>
    > Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
    > make sure. It didnt work.
    >
    > I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
    > but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
    > happens when I click "Start New Game"
    >
    > There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
    > up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
    > at 2:30 and counting down.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Jim

    Fairly stumped I'm afraid. You could validate your game (as per Rico's
    post that starts 'Anticitizen One') to see whether any files are
    corrupt. Are all your drivers etc up to date?

    --

    Jim wrote:
    > Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
    > make sure. It didnt work.

    You sure? If you're running WinXP you have a built in Firewall that gets
    in the way in a similar way.

    Failing that, start HL2 with -autoconfig as an advanced option, and see
    if that works...

    Civilian_Target

    "Jim" <Jim@no.com> wrote in message
    > I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
    > but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
    > happens when I click "Start New Game"
    >
    > There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
    > up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
    > at 2:30 and counting down.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Sounds like a video glitch. What's your GPU spec and driver version? Put up
    the rest of your PC specs too, just in case.

    G Hardy wrote on 5/24/2005 8:54 AM:
    > "Jim" <Jim@no.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
    >>but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
    >>happens when I click "Start New Game"
    >>
    >>There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
    >>up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
    >>at 2:30 and counting down.
    >>
    >>Any other ideas?
    >

    > Sounds like a video glitch. What's your GPU spec and driver version? Put up
    > the rest of your PC specs too, just in case.

    I have XP firewall disabled.

    XP SP2
    Dell 4600 2.8Ghz
    1GB RAM
    9800 Pro

    So I just add the -autoconfig to my HL2 shortcut? How do I verify files?

    Jim

    Jim wrote:

    > XP SP2
    > Dell 4600 2.8Ghz
    > 1GB RAM
    > 9800 Pro

    Hmm looks rather decent - at least better than the specs in this house
    :)
    Memory problems? I don't know

    > So I just add the -autoconfig to my HL2 shortcut? How do I verify files?

    Steam://validate/220

    A list of shotcuts:
    http://www.alyx.de/hl-series/index.php

    - Peter