Plan of Attack for HL2

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 23, 2005 2:44:29 PM

I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else seen
this problem?

Jim

More about : plan attack hl2

May 23, 2005 7:59:46 PM

Jim wrote:
> I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
> the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else seen
> this problem?
>
> Jim

I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's worked
fine since.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Shawk wrote on 5/23/2005 10:59 AM:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot see
>> the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone else
>> seen this problem?
>>
>> Jim
>

> I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
> firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
> me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's worked
> fine since.

Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
make sure. It didnt work.

I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
happens when I click "Start New Game"

There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
at 2:30 and counting down.

Any other ideas?

Jim
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 23, 2005 11:40:21 PM

Jim wrote:
> Shawk wrote on 5/23/2005 10:59 AM:
>
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> I installed this and cannot get it to run. When it loads, I cannot
>>> see the menus and I have to kill the app with task manager. Anyone
>>> else seen this problem?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>

>> I had this too Jim. For me it was a simple fault caused by a McAfee
>> firewall pop-up box I couldnt see (behind the game screen) waiting for
>> me to give HL2 access to the Internet. I gave it access and it's
>> worked fine since.
>>
> Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
> make sure. It didnt work.
>
> I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
> but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
> happens when I click "Start New Game"
>
> There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
> up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
> at 2:30 and counting down.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Jim

Fairly stumped I'm afraid. You could validate your game (as per Rico's
post that starts 'Anticitizen One') to see whether any files are
corrupt. Are all your drivers etc up to date?

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:26:28 PM

Jim wrote:
> Thanks Shawk. I dont have PC based firewall but disabled my AV just to
> make sure. It didnt work.

You sure? If you're running WinXP you have a built in Firewall that gets
in the way in a similar way.

Failing that, start HL2 with -autoconfig as an advanced option, and see
if that works...

Civilian_Target
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:54:35 PM

"Jim" <Jim@no.com> wrote in message
> I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
> but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
> happens when I click "Start New Game"
>
> There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
> up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
> at 2:30 and counting down.
>
> Any other ideas?

Sounds like a video glitch. What's your GPU spec and driver version? Put up
the rest of your PC specs too, just in case.
May 25, 2005 12:48:24 AM

G Hardy wrote on 5/24/2005 8:54 AM:
> "Jim" <Jim@no.com> wrote in message
>
>>I noticed the buttons on left are there, but invisible. I can click them
>>but I cannot start new game. The new game window comes up but nothing
>>happens when I click "Start New Game"
>>
>>There is also a video glitch in the top center. It is a rectangle made
>>up of purple and army greenn squares. Behind it I can see a timer start
>>at 2:30 and counting down.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>

> Sounds like a video glitch. What's your GPU spec and driver version? Put up
> the rest of your PC specs too, just in case.

I have XP firewall disabled.

XP SP2
Dell 4600 2.8Ghz
1GB RAM
9800 Pro

So I just add the -autoconfig to my HL2 shortcut? How do I verify files?

Jim
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:38:38 AM

Jim wrote:

> XP SP2
> Dell 4600 2.8Ghz
> 1GB RAM
> 9800 Pro

Hmm looks rather decent - at least better than the specs in this house
:)
Memory problems? I don't know

> So I just add the -autoconfig to my HL2 shortcut? How do I verify files?

Steam://validate/220

A list of shotcuts:
http://www.alyx.de/hl-series/index.php

- Peter