Hard drive errors and vibrating computer

I sometimes shake my leg in a nervous manner because, well I'm a
nervous person and I notice my computer shaking a little bit as I
shake my leg on the floor sometimes. Is this bad for the hard drive
when it is writing to it? I mean I have bad sectors on the hard drive
now and was wondering if this had anything to do with it.
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive errors vibrating computer

    "Buck" <buck@tooth.com> wrote in message
    > I sometimes shake my leg in a nervous manner because, well I'm a
    > nervous person and I notice my computer shaking a little bit as I
    > shake my leg on the floor sometimes.

    Most people shake their fists at their computers :-)

    Buck <buck@tooth.com> wrote in message

    > I sometimes shake my leg in a nervous manner because,
    > well I'm a nervous person and I notice my computer
    > shaking a little bit as I shake my leg on the floor sometimes.

    If you arent reading what the Victorians used to call a knee trembler,
    that is supposed to be due to some vitamin deficiency or something.

    Can be due to Parkinson's too.

    > Is this bad for the hard drive when it is writing to it?

    Yes.

    > I mean I have bad sectors on the hard drive now
    > and was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

    Quite possible.

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:49:54 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >If you arent reading what the Victorians used to call a knee trembler,
    >that is supposed to be due to some vitamin deficiency or something.
    >
    >Can be due to Parkinson's too.

    Oh no, it's nothing like that. I suffer from chronic anxiety. Been
    diagnosed by psychiatrists a long time and everything. The medications
    help but they don't do a 100% job, hence the leg shaking. Hell they
    don't even do a 60% job, but it's better than taking nothing. But shhh
    don't tell Tom Cruise, or he'll get mad :) Sometimes leg shaking can
    be because the medication is actually making you more anxious or it
    could be your anxiety itself. I never believed in vitamins(thought
    they were like water compared to medications) but I'm gonna start
    looking into them to see if they can add something if anything at all.
    As for the computer I'm gonna see if I can get something to stabilize
    it so it doesn't shake.

    In article <uo02c1dhju9f8al0ojjkqlvckma5lsj1p1@4ax.com>,
    Buck <buck@tooth.com> wrote:
    :I sometimes shake my leg in a nervous manner because, well I'm a
    :nervous person and I notice my computer shaking a little bit as I
    :shake my leg on the floor sometimes. Is this bad for the hard drive
    :when it is writing to it? I mean I have bad sectors on the hard drive
    :now and was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

    Yes, vibration can definitely cause hard disk errors. I had a very old
    tape drive that I wanted to use to read some ancient tapes so that I
    could save the data on more modern media. The tape drive had a
    defective roller and vibrated like crazy, but could still read the
    tapes. If I mounted the tape drive in the PC case enough vibration got
    transferred to the disk drives to cause a _lot_ of disk errors.
    Removing the tape drive and setting it on a piece of foam rubber on top
    of the case cured that problem and allowed me to read the tapes. The
    tape drive subsequently got tossed in the trash along with the old
    tape cartridges (erased).

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >> If you arent reading what the Victorians used to call a knee trembler,
    >> that is supposed to be due to some vitamin deficiency or something.

    >> Can be due to Parkinson's too.

    > Oh no, it's nothing like that. I suffer from chronic anxiety. Been
    > diagnosed by psychiatrists a long time and everything. The medications
    > help but they don't do a 100% job, hence the leg shaking.

    Isnt that a side effect of some psych medication ? Pretty sure it is.

    > Hell they don't even do a 60% job, but it's better than taking
    > nothing. But shhh don't tell Tom Cruise, or he'll get mad :)
    > Sometimes leg shaking can be because the medication is actually
    > making you more anxious or it could be your anxiety itself.

    Its basically a side effect of the medication.

    > I never believed in vitamins

    They are important in some situations like say scurvy.

    > (thought they were like water compared to medications)

    Yes, compared to psych medication.

    > but I'm gonna start looking into them to see if they can add
    > something if anything at all. As for the computer I'm gonna
    > see if I can get something to stabilize it so it doesn't shake.

    Cant you just have it where your body shakes dont shake it ?

    Previously Buck <buck@tooth.com> wrote:
    > I sometimes shake my leg in a nervous manner because, well I'm a
    > nervous person and I notice my computer shaking a little bit as I
    > shake my leg on the floor sometimes. Is this bad for the hard drive
    > when it is writing to it? I mean I have bad sectors on the hard drive
    > now and was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

    Shock and vibration can cause position errors that can cause write
    errors that show up as (usually recoverable) bad sectors.

    A solution can be to mount the HDD in a vibration absorber. They are
    intended to dampen vibrations from the HDD (to reduce noise), even
    worse when two disks do not quite spin in sync, but they do the same
    job the other way round.

    Examples:

    http://www.dansdata.com/novibes.htm
    ZM-2HC2 or the like by ZALMAN (hass rubber mountings)
    Arno

    On 30 Jun 2005 13:59:58 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Shock and vibration can cause position errors that can cause write
    >errors that show up as (usually recoverable) bad sectors.
    >
    >A solution can be to mount the HDD in a vibration absorber. They are
    >intended to dampen vibrations from the HDD (to reduce noise), even
    >worse when two disks do not quite spin in sync, but they do the same
    >job the other way round.
    >
    >Examples:
    >
    >http://www.dansdata.com/novibes.htm
    >ZM-2HC2 or the like by ZALMAN (hass rubber mountings)
    >Arno

    Thanks I'll check it out. I think I'll put the computer somewhere more
    stable and maybe also use this vibration absorber.

Computer Hard Drives Storage