Do unbalanced hard drives fail earlier?

Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
don't?

I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.
3 answers Last reply
More about unbalanced hard drives fail earlier

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:

    > Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
    > don't?
    >
    > I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
    > me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

    If they vibrate then they have something wrong with them. If you're getting
    noise it is most likely a resonance--try moving the drive to a different
    bay and you will probably see the noise go away.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    larry moe 'n curly wrote:

    > Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
    > don't?
    >
    > I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
    > me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

    Got all four screws holding it in and tightened?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that don't?

    Depends on how bad the vibration is. Normal vibration is fine.

    > I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the
    > vibration makes me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

    Thats likely just something loose with the case resonating.

Hardware Storage Hard Drives