Do unbalanced hard drives fail earlier?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 6:27:51 AM

Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
don't?

I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 1:18:03 PM

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
> don't?
>
> I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
> me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

If they vibrate then they have something wrong with them. If you're getting
noise it is most likely a resonance--try moving the drive to a different
bay and you will probably see the noise go away.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that
> don't?
>
> I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the vibration makes
> me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

Got all four screws holding it in and tightened?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Do HDs that vibrate while spinning tend to fail sooner than those that don't?

Depends on how bad the vibration is. Normal vibration is fine.

> I mean from normal wear, not because the buzz from the
> vibration makes me want to smash them with a sledgehammer.

Thats likely just something loose with the case resonating.
!