backup spanning across multiple network HDs?

wil

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

I can't seem to find a programm that does this.
I have a server with 4HDs, lets say 15GB each. I have a desktop with a
55 GB HD.
Now i want to backup the desktop 55 GB HD to the server...
So the backup programm would need to span the data acros the 4 server
HDs.

Thing is, i'd prefer it if the programm did not use a native file
format to do this....so either zip or leave the files as is and
basically 'copy'.

I've been at this for 2 days and tried a bucket load of programms but
sofar only NTI "backup now" came close, if only it didn't do it in
it's ow native file format ...*.NBF

Anyone know of a util that does this?

Cheers,

Willem

Spanning across 4 disks sounds like it could stand to be a bit more simple.
What OS are you using? NT/2000/XP come with NTbackup which is a
surprisingly good backup application. If you REALLY wanted to backup your
desktop to those 4 drives, you could schedule 4 different backup jobs each
with a separate portion of the 55GB source.

--Dan

"wil" <wil@spammenot.nl> wrote in message
>I can't seem to find a programm that does this.
> I have a server with 4HDs, lets say 15GB each. I have a desktop with a
> 55 GB HD.
> Now i want to backup the desktop 55 GB HD to the server...
> So the backup programm would need to span the data acros the 4 server
> HDs.

"wil" <wil@spammenot.nl> wrote in message news:5av2c11980708uagfvse3e7ddk6rv6ve2l@4ax.com
> I can't seem to find a program that does this.
> I have a server with 4HDs, lets say 15GB each. I have a desktop with a
> 55 GB HD.
> Now i want to backup the desktop 55 GB HD to the server...
> So the backup program would need to span the data across the 4 server
> HDs.
>
> Thing is, I'd prefer it if the program did not use a native file format
> to do this....so either zip or leave the files as is and basically 'copy'.
>
> I've been at this for 2 days and tried a bucket load of programs but
> sofar only NTI "backup now" came close, if only it didn't do it in
> it's own native file format ...*.NBF
>
> Anyone know of a util that does this?

WinZip?

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "wil" <wil@spammenot.nl> wrote in message
>> I can't seem to find a program that does this.
>> I have a server with 4HDs, lets say 15GB each. I have a desktop with a
>> 55 GB HD.
>> Now i want to backup the desktop 55 GB HD to the server...
>> So the backup program would need to span the data across the 4 server
>> HDs.
>>
>> Thing is, I'd prefer it if the program did not use a native file format
>> to do this....so either zip or leave the files as is and basically 'copy'.
>>
>> I've been at this for 2 days and tried a bucket load of programs but
>> sofar only NTI "backup now" came close, if only it didn't do it in
>> it's own native file format ...*.NBF
>>
>> Anyone know of a util that does this?
>
> WinZip?

Doesnt produce the zip file spread over 4 drives, cretin.