W2K had BSD, now HD shows no file names but it's not empty..

From File Manager, following a re-boot, I can access the HD and the
volume is visible while the properties dialog correctly displays the
approximate usage but no filenames are shown.

So do I rebuild the FAT, or what?

TIA

Tim

More about shows file names empty

    On 29/06/05 02:45, Tim Breen wrote:
    > From File Manager, following a re-boot, I can access the HD and the
    > volume is visible while the properties dialog correctly displays the
    > approximate usage but no filenames are shown.
    >
    > So do I rebuild the FAT, or what?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim

    First reaction: If the properties widget displays the correct amount of
    used space (approximately) then it is not the FAT that is faulty.
    It seems more likely the pointer to the root directory in the boot
    sector is damaged.
    But could you give us some more information please?

    What do you mean by BSD? To me that is a particular version of UNIX.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:06:23 +0100, Arie Bant <abant@mail.com> wrote:

    >On 29/06/05 02:45, Tim Breen wrote:
    >> From File Manager, following a re-boot, I can access the HD and the
    >> volume is visible while the properties dialog correctly displays the
    >> approximate usage but no filenames are shown.
    >>
    >> So do I rebuild the FAT, or what?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Tim
    >>

    >First reaction: If the properties widget displays the correct amount of
    >used space (approximately) then it is not the FAT that is faulty.
    >It seems more likely the pointer to the root directory in the boot
    >sector is damaged.
    >But could you give us some more information please?
    >
    >What do you mean by BSD? To me that is a particular version of UNIX.

    Thanks for your reply.

    BSD = Blue Screen of Death, infamous in the Windows world, blows you
    out of whatever you were doing, dumps you to DOS, and presents you
    with a (blue) screen full of error messages.

    Here's my problem:

    I have several external drives - usb, usb/fw, scsi - all in the
    80-160GB+ range. I do photographic, video, audio, and some graphics
    work and use Mac OSX and Win2000 (and OS9 and W98SE).

    To facilitate moving the drives between OS's as needed, I bought and
    installed Mediafour's MacDrive5, which allows either OS to access
    their own and the other OS's drive space.

    Last year I bought some WD120's fw/usb and was using them as a place
    to park large data files i.e, 500-900MB and above.

    One HD, while attached to a W2K box and being written to, suffered a
    BSD and upon reboot the volume shows no directories or files BUT the
    properties dialog shows that the disk is partially filled and it's
    estimation of space usage sounds accurate in what I remember it should
    be.

    This drive contained only videos and other trash I was working on so
    it was no big deal - it was basically just a huge scratch disk - but I
    thought I'd spend a few minutes and try to fix it anyhow.

    Here's where my recovery efforts began to break down: I couldn't
    remember if the HD was originally formated for Macs or Windows, or if
    it was, had I re-formatted it from one to the other, so I didn't know
    which tools to begin with. I called Mediafour (MacDrive) and they said
    "...use a disk recovery app."

    Well, duh! Which one? Which OS? They didn't know and took no
    responsibility for being part of the mix.

    Okay. Cool. My Bad. Later.

    So I shelved the disk to be fixed "when I get to it", which of course
    I never did and so there it sits, full but unusable.

    Part II

    Last weekend it happened again (BSD), writing to a different WD, on a
    different W2K box *but this time with data I need*.

    Again, from File Manager following a re-boot, the external drive is
    accessable, the properties dialog correctly displays the approximate
    usage, and again no files are shown.

    I'm fairly competent around hardware but this time I have no clue on
    what to do or even where to begin.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks again,

    Tim

    Tim Breen <timbreen@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > >> From File Manager, following a re-boot, I can access the HD and the
    > >> volume is visible while the properties dialog correctly displays the
    > >> approximate usage but no filenames are shown.
    > >>
    > >> So do I rebuild the FAT, or what?

    The disappearing of the file system, especially after a crash, suggests that
    something may have happened to the configuration areas (partition table, BPB in
    the boot sector), or a change in the drive settings. The FAT (if it was FAT at
    all, perhaps NTFS?) is the wrong place to start with (an apparently corrupted
    FAT could be the *result* of what happened, but not the cause).

    [...]
    > Here's my problem:
    >
    > I have several external drives - usb, usb/fw, scsi - all in the
    > 80-160GB+ range. I do photographic, video, audio, and some graphics
    > work and use Mac OSX and Win2000 (and OS9 and W98SE).
    >
    > To facilitate moving the drives between OS's as needed, I bought and
    > installed Mediafour's MacDrive5, which allows either OS to access
    > their own and the other OS's drive space.
    >
    > Last year I bought some WD120's fw/usb and was using them as a place
    > to park large data files i.e, 500-900MB and above.
    >
    > One HD, while attached to a W2K box and being written to, suffered a
    > BSD and upon reboot the volume shows no directories or files BUT the
    > properties dialog shows that the disk is partially filled and it's
    > estimation of space usage sounds accurate in what I remember it should
    > be.

    How was the drive installed at the time the BSD occurred? As first fixed drive?
    As second? As external? What interface? What's the total drive capacity? How
    was it partitioned? What file system? FAT32? NTFS?

    [irrelevant section snipped]

    > Last weekend it happened again (BSD), writing to a different WD, on a
    > different W2K box *but this time with data I need*.
    >
    > Again, from File Manager following a re-boot, the external drive is
    > accessable, the properties dialog correctly displays the approximate
    > usage, and again no files are shown.
    >
    > I'm fairly competent around hardware but this time I have no clue on
    > what to do or even where to begin.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Maybe. First, please answer the questions above.

    It's important that you attempt no writing to the drive before assessing the
    problem, if you wish not ruin the chances to recover the data on that drive.

    Regards, Zvi
    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
    > Tim Breen <timbreen@yahoo.com> wrote:

    [...]

    > > Last weekend it happened again (BSD), writing to a different WD, on a
    > > different W2K box *but this time with data I need*.
    > >
    > > Again, from File Manager following a re-boot, the external drive is
    > > accessable, the properties dialog correctly displays the approximate
    > > usage, and again no files are shown.
    > >
    > > I'm fairly competent around hardware but this time I have no clue on
    > > what to do or even where to begin.

    I had a similar issue not to long ago, with the exception that I had a power
    failure instead of the BSOD. The drive was a 160GB Maxtor, single
    partition, NTFS, Win XP, connected as the slave drive on the primary
    controller. When I rebooted the computer I saw the same symptoms: drive
    accessible in Explorer, but no files listed and the correct 'Space Used'
    shown.

    I did manage to recover (albeit with a bit of good fortune):

    --The first thing I did was run chkdsk with the auto fix options. It took
    forever (as it should with 160GB, I suppose) and reported a huge number of
    bad sectors. After running chkdsk, Explorer showed some files, but it was
    very slow and some directories (about 10GB worth) were still lost.

    --Here's the shady part: thinking that I had trashed the drive, I began to
    burn the data to DVD using Nero Express. On the 'Disc Content' window where
    you add the files to burn, Nero showed an extra directory with all of my
    missing files in it. I don't recall the name of the directory (it was a
    number) and I have no idea why it didn't show up in Explorer. Regardless, I
    was able get all of my data back.

    --After I emptied the disk, I used the MaxBlast utility that came with the
    drive to check for errors. It told me that disk failure was eminent and
    recommended that I RMA the drive, which was of course out of warranty. I
    did a low level format, after which MaxBlast said the drive was good. The
    drive has been working in a Linux box for about a month now.

    Like I said, I have absolutely no idea how/why the Nero thing worked, and I
    was lucky to stumble on it. If your data is truly valuable I'd probably
    look for a more 'correct' way to recover it. But maybe this can help in
    some way.

    Chris

    "Christopher Fletcher" <fletch2003-AT-knology-DOT-net> wrote in message news:4170d$42c323a0$18d62e0a$18287@KNOLOGY.NET
    > "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message news:opm4c15f90dedh6a4g2ie69nrpdrnh4h2b@4ax.com...
    > > Tim Breen <timbreen@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > > Last weekend it happened again (BSD), writing to a different WD, on
    > > > a different W2K box *but this time with data I need*.
    > > >
    > > > Again, from File Manager following a re-boot, the external drive is
    > > > accessible, the properties dialog correctly displays the approximate
    > > > usage, and again no files are shown.
    > > >
    > > > I'm fairly competent around hardware but this time I have no clue on
    > > > what to do or even where to begin.
    > > >

    > I had a similar issue not to long ago, with the exception that I had a power
    > failure instead of the BSOD. The drive was a 160GB Maxtor, single
    > partition, NTFS, Win XP, connected as the slave drive on the primary
    > controller. When I rebooted the computer I saw the same symptoms: drive
    > accessible in Explorer, but no files listed and the correct 'Space Used'
    > shown.
    >
    > I did manage to recover (albeit with a bit of good fortune):
    >
    > --The first thing I did was run chkdsk with the auto fix options. It took
    > forever (as it should with 160GB, I suppose) and reported a huge number of
    > bad sectors. After running chkdsk, Explorer showed some files, but it was
    > very slow and some directories (about 10GB worth) were still lost.
    >
    > --Here's the shady part: thinking that I had trashed the drive, I began to
    > burn the data to DVD using Nero Express. On the 'Disc Content' window
    > where you add the files to burn, Nero showed an extra directory with all
    > of my missing files in it. I don't recall the name of the directory (it was
    > a number) and I have no idea why it didn't show up in Explorer.
    > Regardless, I was able get all of my data back.
    >
    > --After I emptied the disk, I used the MaxBlast utility that came with the
    > drive to check for errors. It told me that disk failure was eminent and
    > recommended that I RMA the drive, which was of course out of warranty.

    > I did a low level format, after which MaxBlast said the drive was good.

    Which is why I always recommend to check for bad power supply when
    bad sectors appear.

    > The drive has been working in a Linux box for about a month now.

    What does MaxBlast say now?

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Christopher Fletcher" <fletch2003-AT-knology-DOT-net> wrote in message
    > > "Zvi Netiv" <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
    > > > Tim Breen <timbreen@yahoo.com> wrote:

    [...]

    > Which is why I always recommend to check for bad power supply when
    > bad sectors appear.
    >
    > > The drive has been working in a Linux box for about a month now.
    >
    > What does MaxBlast say now?

    [...]

    MaxBlast says the drive is still fine. Incidentally, it was a power company
    failure, not a power supply failure. I suppose the real lesson for me would
    be to find a UPS.

    Chris

    "C Fletcher" <fletch2003-AT-knology-DOT-net> wrote in message news:e693d$42c3549b$18d62e0a$18762@KNOLOGY.NET
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:42c3487e$0$28605$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
    > > >

    > [...]
    >
    > > Which is why I always recommend to check for bad power supply when
    > > bad sectors appear.
    > >
    > > > The drive has been working in a Linux box for about a month now.
    > >
    > > What does MaxBlast say now?
    > >
    > [...]
    >
    > MaxBlast says the drive is still fine.

    So far for the reliability of S.M.A.R.T. and it's ability to predict
    drive failure. S.M.A.R.T. doesnt know the difference between mecha-
    nical/electrical/magnetical and what else can fail a drive and failures
    caused by temporary bad power supply or temporary overheating

    > Incidentally, it was a power company failure, not a power supply failure.

    Which is why I deliberately said "power supply" and not "powersupply".

    > C Fletcher <fletch2003-AT-knology-DOT-net> wrote
    >> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
    >>> Christopher Fletcher <fletch2003-AT-knology-DOT-net> wrote

    >>> Which is why I always recommend to check
    >>> for bad power supply when bad sectors appear.

    >>> What does MaxBlast say now?

    >> MaxBlast says the drive is still fine.

    > So far for the reliability of S.M.A.R.T. and it's ability to predict drive
    > failure.

    There was no 'drive failure' that SMART even attempts to report.

    > S.M.A.R.T. doesnt know the difference between mechanical/
    > electrical/magnetical and what else can fail a drive and failures
    > caused by temporary bad power supply or temporary overheating

    Pathetic, really.

    >> Incidentally, it was a power company failure, not a power supply failure.

    > Which is why I deliberately said "power supply" and not "powersupply".

    Obvious lie. No need to 'check for' with mains failure, liar.

    >> I suppose the real lesson for me would be to find a UPS.

    <reams of puerile trollshit flushed where it belongs>

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3iiqlnFlkg35U1@individual.net

    Some pathetic troll that cant even manage its own lines,
    Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> desperately
    attempted to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
    and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

HD Storage