system does not see my new hard drive

I have a 300Mhz PII computer with a WD 6.4 Gb hard drive. I added a
20.5 Gb IBM Deskstar as a slave. The system does not recognize it.
Any suggestions?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-system-hard-drive-ftopict58166.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293967
4 answers Last reply
More about system hard drive

    "ED" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I have a 300Mhz PII computer

    That's old enough such that the BIOS might not be able to handle 20GB.
    Flash the latest mobo BIOS. What happens when the IBM is on the last
    connector of the EIDE cable and jumpered as master/single and the only drive
    on the cable? Is the drive recognized by the BIOS during POST? What do you
    see in BIOS setup regarding HD setup?

    >with a WD 6.4 Gb hard drive. I added a
    > 20.5 Gb IBM Deskstar as a slave. The system does not recognize it.
    > Any suggestions?

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-system-hard-drive-ftopict58166.html
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293967

    ED <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

    > I have a 300Mhz PII computer with a WD 6.4 Gb hard drive.
    > I added a 20.5 Gb IBM Deskstar as a slave.
    > The system does not recognize it.
    > Any suggestions?

    The usual cause of that effect is just that you
    havent partitioned and formatted the new drive.

    Presumably you are running Win98 in some form on that PC.
    One approach with that is to boot from the startup floppy and
    partition the new drive using fdisk. Once you have done that,
    you should be able to see it in My Computer in Win9x and
    can format it there by right mouse clicking on the drive in there.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3iga43FlhotfU1@individual.net
    > ED <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message news:7_293967_a7ca7c8680c0939b06eb73f85a1e1ff6@hardwareforumz.com...
    >
    > > I have a 300Mhz PII computer with a WD 6.4 Gb hard drive.
    > > I added a 20.5 Gb IBM Deskstar as a slave.
    > > The system does not recognize it.
    > > Any suggestions?
    >
    > The usual cause of that effect is just that you
    > havent partitioned and formatted the new drive.
    >
    > Presumably you are running Win98 in some form on that PC.
    > One approach with that is to boot from the startup floppy and
    > partition the new drive using fdisk.

    If you can do it from floppy then you can do it from Windows too.

    > Once you have done that,
    > you should be able to see it in My Computer in Win9x and
    > can format it there by right mouse clicking on the drive in there.

    Same for Fdisk.

    "ED" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I have a 300Mhz PII computer with a WD 6.4 Gb hard drive. I added a
    > 20.5 Gb IBM Deskstar as a slave. The system does not recognize it.
    > Any suggestions?

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-system-hard-drive-ftopict58166.html
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293967

    That WD 6.4GB was a bear in a couple of PCs I had it in years ago. Am
    fluent in partitioning and formatting, and jumper settings for WDs. There
    always seemed to be a problem when adding another hard drive on the same
    ribbon cable. Ide connected Zips and LS120s had similar problem with this
    specific hard drive. Never found any solution, just left if isolated on its
    own ribbon cable.
    The only plausible explanation was its low-level communication method was
    causing problems with other devices while on the same ribbon cable. May or
    may not be true, but that's the best I've heard that supported the symptoms.

Western Digital Hard Drives IBM Storage