LIMITED or NO CONNECTIVITY in SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2004 12:31:02 AM

My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however, when
SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it says
"Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls someone
help me. my laptop is my life!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2004 6:25:58 PM

--
hercster
a b D Laptop

I have a similar problem with a Centrino equipped Dell D800 with built
in wireless that has worked flawlessly. Now after SP2, My machine does
not recognise the wireless network despite being 4 feet away from the
Router. I removed SP2 but it did not restore my prior wireless
capability. This is UGLY as wireless is important to my operation.

Gord

--
hercster
a b D Laptop

Greetings Paolo,

That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.

You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
3. Click Ok.

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
> when
> SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it
> says
> "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
> i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
> someone
> help me. my laptop is my life!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2004 1:09:04 PM

Eric,
By the way, I have tried this with two different Wireless cards and two
different wireless routers (disabling WEP). This approach does not appear to
work. Unfurtunately, I have wasted countless hours (as have other I see
posted in this group) trying to find a solution.

Since I have been doing wireless for two years, that was one of the first
things I checked. IMHO, it is definintely something in the MS stack for the
wireless since I have ruled out hardware, and encryption for previously
working solutions.

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Paolo,
>
> That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
> is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
> communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
> an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
> is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
> network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
> encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
>
> You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
> 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
> 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
> 3. Click Ok.
>
> _____________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
> > when
> > SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it
> > says
> > "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
> > i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
> > someone
> > help me. my laptop is my life!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 1:51:02 AM

I have the same issue with some laptops and not others. Two different
networks. The machines that will not connect now had some troubles getting
connected before sp2. The fix then was to disable and reinable, with sp2
that won't work. What will work is to UNINSTALL the device, reinstall the
device in device manager. Then it will reconnect ON THAT LOGIN ONLY. upon
rebooting the issue still prevails. Good signal, is communicating with the
access points (two locations), but will not obtain a DHCP lease. This
happens without WEP enabled. This is an issue! Any ideas? Some computers
link fine , some don't. Help!

"D. Moore" wrote:

> Eric,
> By the way, I have tried this with two different Wireless cards and two
> different wireless routers (disabling WEP). This approach does not appear to
> work. Unfurtunately, I have wasted countless hours (as have other I see
> posted in this group) trying to find a solution.
>
> Since I have been doing wireless for two years, that was one of the first
> things I checked. IMHO, it is definintely something in the MS stack for the
> wireless since I have ruled out hardware, and encryption for previously
> working solutions.
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Greetings Paolo,
> >
> > That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
> > is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
> > communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
> > an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
> > is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
> > network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
> > encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
> >
> > You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
> >
> > 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
> > 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
> > 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
> > 3. Click Ok.
> >
> > _____________
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
> > > when
> > > SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it
> > > says
> > > "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
> > > i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
> > > someone
> > > help me. my laptop is my life!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 11:15:03 AM

Additional information: Reformatted one of the laptiops with win xpsp1 -
Applied SP2 1st. Then applications. It connects immediately now!

This leads away from hardware completely. Conflict in registry somewhere,
but how to find it without reformatting and starting over?

Microsoft are you listening?

"rswilkes" wrote:

> I have the same issue with some laptops and not others. Two different
> networks. The machines that will not connect now had some troubles getting
> connected before sp2. The fix then was to disable and reinable, with sp2
> that won't work. What will work is to UNINSTALL the device, reinstall the
> device in device manager. Then it will reconnect ON THAT LOGIN ONLY. upon
> rebooting the issue still prevails. Good signal, is communicating with the
> access points (two locations), but will not obtain a DHCP lease. This
> happens without WEP enabled. This is an issue! Any ideas? Some computers
> link fine , some don't. Help!
>
> "D. Moore" wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> > By the way, I have tried this with two different Wireless cards and two
> > different wireless routers (disabling WEP). This approach does not appear to
> > work. Unfurtunately, I have wasted countless hours (as have other I see
> > posted in this group) trying to find a solution.
> >
> > Since I have been doing wireless for two years, that was one of the first
> > things I checked. IMHO, it is definintely something in the MS stack for the
> > wireless since I have ruled out hardware, and encryption for previously
> > working solutions.
> >
> > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings Paolo,
> > >
> > > That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
> > > is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
> > > communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
> > > an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
> > > is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
> > > network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
> > > encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
> > >
> > > You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
> > >
> > > 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
> > > 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
> > > 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
> > > 3. Click Ok.
> > >
> > > _____________
> > > Eric Cross
> > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > >

> > > "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2004 3:07:03 PM

I have two laptops, both with SP2. One works as it did before SP2, the
other, a Tosh Tecra M1 Centrino, has the same problem posted here now SP2 is
installed.

Re-boot seems to work sometimes, but is not repeatable.

Plugging it into a wired network, use the web, then disconnecting seemed to
wake windows into picking up the IP address through the wireless connection.

MICROSOFT NEED TO FIX IT!

"D. Moore" wrote:

> Eric,
> By the way, I have tried this with two different Wireless cards and two
> different wireless routers (disabling WEP). This approach does not appear to
> work. Unfurtunately, I have wasted countless hours (as have other I see
> posted in this group) trying to find a solution.
>
> Since I have been doing wireless for two years, that was one of the first
> things I checked. IMHO, it is definintely something in the MS stack for the
> wireless since I have ruled out hardware, and encryption for previously
> working solutions.
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Greetings Paolo,
> >
> > That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
> > is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
> > communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
> > an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
> > is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
> > network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
> > encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
> >
> > You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
> >
> > 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
> > 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
> > 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
> > 3. Click Ok.
> >
> > _____________
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
> > > when
> > > SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it
> > > says
> > > "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
> > > i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
> > > someone
> > > help me. my laptop is my life!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 7, 2004 1:59:02 AM

This is possibly the WORST advice I have ever seen!!

I have the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 500m and have trawled the
internet to find a solution. The connection works FINE when I have cable
plugged into the modem, but I get the 'limited or no connectivity' message
when in wireless...and despite the advice I actually have NO connectivity.
Turning off the message isn't going to fix it!! That's like sticking my head
in the sand to ignore the problem!!

NO-ONE has offered a solution that works, except this:

Wait 24 hours. And then for some reason, it starts working again.

This is the second time it has happened to me and it is VERY VERY
frustrating. Somebody please sort it out and give me some advice!!

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Paolo,
>
> That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area connection
> is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
> communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should get
> an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your computer
> is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on the
> network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
> encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
>
> You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
> 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
> 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity"
> 3. Click Ok.
>
> _____________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
> > when
> > SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then it
> > says
> > "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the internet.
> > i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
> > someone
> > help me. my laptop is my life!!!

November 7, 2004 10:36:44 AM

Try this page. http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl5muj/index.htm Make sure all
firmware(router) and drivers(wireless cards and nics) are current.
"SKD" <SKD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is possibly the WORST advice I have ever seen!!
>
> I have the same problem on my Dell Inspiron 500m and have trawled the
> internet to find a solution. The connection works FINE when I have cable
> plugged into the modem, but I get the 'limited or no connectivity' message
> when in wireless...and despite the advice I actually have NO connectivity.
> Turning off the message isn't going to fix it!! That's like sticking my
> head
> in the sand to ignore the problem!!
>
> NO-ONE has offered a solution that works, except this:
>
> Wait 24 hours. And then for some reason, it starts working again.
>
> This is the second time it has happened to me and it is VERY VERY
> frustrating. Somebody please sort it out and give me some advice!!
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Paolo,
>>
>> That message is new in Service Pack 2. It means that local area
>> connection
>> is configured to obtain a ip address automatically, but it cannot
>> communicate with a DHCP Server to get an automatic ip address. It should
>> get
>> an automatic private ip address in the 169.254.x.x range. If your
>> computer
>> is configured for a wireless network, disable the wireless encryption on
>> the
>> network while troubleshooting. If you have a successful connection with
>> encryption disabled, then check your encryption settings.
>>
>> You can turn off that messsage. To do so, follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Right-click My Network Places and click Properties.
>> 2. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection, and then click
>> Properties.
>> 2. Uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
>> connectivity"
>> 3. Click Ok.
>>
>> _____________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "Paolo Jimeno" <PaoloJimeno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My laptop uses an Intel M processor, so it has wi-fi built-in. however,
>> > when
>> > SP2 was installed, and can connect with an excellent signal, but then
>> > it
>> > says
>> > "Limited or No Connectivity", and i can't seem to connect to the
>> > internet.
>> > i've been doing all sorts of tweaking just to have it work again. pls
>> > someone
>> > help me. my laptop is my life!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 10:36:37 AM

I found out the following. For me problem also occurs with another
portable equiped with a 3Com PcCard and with Win XP an NO SP2 !!!! So,
it's most likely not a SP2 related matter. Also, my other portables
already had SP2 installed for 2 weeks before the problems started.

Now I tested changing the SSID on my wireless router and guess what...
both machines are able to connect and reconnect, receiving a proper IP
address from the DHCP server. And this several consequtive times.

It keeps getting better, I changed back the SSID to the old value and..
my laptops can reconnect to the network again.

There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel but I still don't
see a reason what causes this strange behaviour.

I'll keep posting my findings here !

--
graphit
a b D Laptop

i get a similar problem.

Does sp2 connect sometimes using a decent IP, but then sometimes it trys
using a completely different IP not in your routers DHCP?!?!

"graphit" <graphit.1frspj@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> I found out the following. For me problem also occurs with another
> portable equiped with a 3Com PcCard and with Win XP an NO SP2 !!!! So,
> it's most likely not a SP2 related matter. Also, my other portables
> already had SP2 installed for 2 weeks before the problems started.
>
> Now I tested changing the SSID on my wireless router and guess what...
> both machines are able to connect and reconnect, receiving a proper IP
> address from the DHCP server. And this several consequtive times.
>
> It keeps getting better, I changed back the SSID to the old value and..
> my laptops can reconnect to the network again.
>
> There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel but I still don't
> see a reason what causes this strange behaviour.
>
> I'll keep posting my findings here !
>

> --
> graphit

April 9, 2005 4:15:03 PM

Guess what....I am also having similar issues.

I am using a Buffalo G54 card which is in my Compaq Evo620c. Prior to
upgrading to SP2 it worked a treat and managed to pick up DHCP addresses from
the various routers I connect to.

I completely trashed the HD to install WinXP with SP2 (slipstreamed by MS on
a technet CD) . I was amazed how the signal strength increased but if I need
to use a network now, I must set it to a static address as it will not see a
DHCP server.

All the searches I have found suggest that I should continue to use a static
address but I thought that DHCP would be properly supported in SP2! I am
using this as a work around but clearly there is an issue.

BTW I have tried applying the Hotfix KB884020 and the regfix that a lot of
people recommend.....no difference.

If anyone has any more ideas can you send me an email to aidan@thebrees.co.uk

Thanks

Aidan