Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi,

Can SATA II harddisks be used with SATA I motherboards ?

In otherwords are SATA II harddisk backwards compatible with just SATA ?

Does this motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe support SATA II harddisks ?

Would I need an extra controller to connect the harddisks or do I simply
connect them
directly to the motherboard ?

It seems this motherboard can support 8 harddisks ???

What kind of casing is needed for that ??

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can SATA II harddisks be used with SATA I motherboards ?
>
> In otherwords are SATA II harddisk backwards compatible with just SATA ?
>
> Does this motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe support SATA II harddisks ?
>
> Would I need an extra controller to connect the harddisks or do I simply
> connect them
> directly to the motherboard ?
>
> It seems this motherboard can support 8 harddisks ???
>
> What kind of casing is needed for that ??
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

SATA-II hard drives CAN be plugged into older SATA slots, they obviously
wont go at the 3 Gbps of SATA II

there are IDE controllers on all boards for the CD-ROM drives

there are 4 SATA connectors on your board, this means you can have 4 SATA
hard drives (or SATA II)

you could stick 4 hard drives on the two IDE channels

you might want to keep one channel for cd-rom and dvd though

so you could have 8 hard drives if you used all of the possible connectors,
but 6 if you used one IDE channel for optical drives.

if you want to use RAID it doesn't change anything, still 4 SATA hard drives
or SATA II hard drives and setup a RAID amongst them

hope this helps

Christo

"Christo" <chrisNO-SPAM@NO-SPAMjuststuff.co.uk> wrote in message

> SATA-II hard drives CAN be plugged into older SATA slots, they obviously
> wont go at the 3 Gbps of SATA II

Obviously SATA II HDs wont go to 3 Gbps either except in very brief
non-sustained bursts.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Christo" <chrisNO-SPAM@NO-SPAMjuststuff.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can SATA II harddisks be used with SATA I motherboards ?
> >
> > In otherwords are SATA II harddisk backwards compatible with just SATA ?
> >
> > Does this motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe support SATA II harddisks ?
> >
> > Would I need an extra controller to connect the harddisks or do I simply
> > connect them
> > directly to the motherboard ?
> >
> > It seems this motherboard can support 8 harddisks ???
> >
> > What kind of casing is needed for that ??
> >
> > Bye,
> > Skybuck.
> >

> SATA-II hard drives CAN be plugged into older SATA slots, they obviously
> wont go at the 3 Gbps of SATA II
>
> there are IDE controllers on all boards for the CD-ROM drives
>
> there are 4 SATA connectors on your board, this means you can have 4 SATA
> hard drives (or SATA II)
>
> you could stick 4 hard drives on the two IDE channels
>
> you might want to keep one channel for cd-rom and dvd though
>
> so you could have 8 hard drives if you used all of the possible
connectors,
> but 6 if you used one IDE channel for optical drives.
>
> if you want to use RAID it doesn't change anything, still 4 SATA hard
drives
> or SATA II hard drives and setup a RAID amongst them

Hmm I have a good question :)

Is it possible to use the 4 raid connectors and the 4 sata connectors at the
same time ? :)

If (probably) not, then the question is why not ?

If it was possible that would mean 4 drives for raid plus 4 sata drives plus
4 ide drivers... 12 drives seems a bit too much hehehehe.

(not to mention possible expansion cards and maybe even sata cables which
could connect two drives like ide ??? )

Bye,
Skybuck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Christo" <chrisNO-SPAM@NO-SPAMjuststuff.co.uk> wrote in message news:da8v9h$cvg$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com
> "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:da8ole$12p$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can SATA II harddisks be used with SATA I motherboards ?
> >
> > In other words are SATA II harddisk backwards compatible with just SATA ?
> >
> > Does this motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe support SATA II harddisks ?
> >
> > Would I need an extra controller to connect the harddisks or do I simply
> > connect them directly to the motherboard ?
> >
> > It seems this motherboard can support 8 harddisks ???
> >
> > What kind of casing is needed for that ??
> >
> > Bye,
> > Skybuck.
> >

> SATA-II hard drives CAN be plugged into older SATA slots,

> they obviously wont go at the 3 Gbps of SATA II

"They obviously won't go at the 3 Gbps of SATA II" either, if they are just plain 1.5Gb/s SATA-2 drives.