Questions about Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe...

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 3, 2005 7:40:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

One last question about this motherboard

Can it support 4GB of memory ?

The manual says something about: "Due to chipset resource allocation, the
system may detect less than 4GB of system memory when you installed four 1
GB DDR memory modules" ????

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...
> Actually I just looked at the manual (downloaded it from the website)
>
> This is a pretty cool board. I dont know how common it is on other
boards...
> probably common ;)
>
> But it also has a primary and secondary ide slot/connector so that old
> harddisks can be connected as well.. cool !
>
> It also has 4 sata connectors so I guess that is at least room for 6
> harddrives ?
>
> I am not sure if the sata raid connectors can be used as normal sata
> connectors ?
>
> What if I dont want to use raid ?
>
> One last question about this board...
>
> What is the default bios version ? I would like to buy/use this board with
> athlon x2 processor... I dont have any other processors... so flashing the
> bios is not an option for me ;)
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can SATA II harddisks be used with SATA I motherboards ?
> >
> > In otherwords are SATA II harddisk backwards compatible with just SATA ?
> >
> > Does this motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe support SATA II harddisks ?
> >
> > Would I need an extra controller to connect the harddisks or do I simply
> > connect them
> > directly to the motherboard ?
> >
> > It seems this motherboard can support 8 harddisks ???
> >
> > What kind of casing is needed for that ??
> >
> > Bye,
> > Skybuck.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 4, 2005 11:35:20 AM

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> One last question about this motherboard
>
> Can it support 4GB of memory ?
>
> The manual says something about: "Due to chipset resource allocation, the
> system may detect less than 4GB of system memory when you installed four 1
> GB DDR memory modules" ????

I've only just built a system with this board.

Adding 4GB shows up as about 3.5GB.

Doesn't take 2GB memory sticks, either.

The website states that you need to be careful about where you stick
your memory; incorrectly sited memory sticks can physically damage the
board. (I don't mean incorrectly inserted - I mean the slots you
allocate.)

Odie
--
Retrodata