Removable device not appearing under 'My Computer', but ca..

I have a couple of removable devices which are not appearing under
explorer.

When I connect them, the PC goes 'Bing Bong', but they do not appear.

If I go into 'Computer Management' -> 'Disk Management' I can see the
drive and it has a letter (Q:).

Better still, if I click on the drive (under Disk Management) I can see
its contents.

Even more curious, if I open a CMD shell, I can see Q: and better
still, if I type Q: in the Address bar, I can see it.

But explorer (Or I should say My COmputer) does not show it.

Finally, if I 'kill' explorer.exe and restart it, it appears.

Does anyone know whats wrong?

Jon

Interesting.. I will do just that.. I am now starting to wonder if my
problem is slightly more sinister...

The last 'Removable Device' I bought was a 12 in 1 card reader.. I
expected it to be PnP, but it was really slow and had problems reading
cards. I then discovered that I had to install drivers after which it
was fine.

Recently I started to use my Palm with a program called 'Card Export'
which would make it appear as a drive and this is the device which has
the probelm listed above.

However, this week I also bought an iPod and when its connected my PC
keeps going 'Bing Bong' as if a new device was appearing/disappearing.

When Iooked, I noticed that the card reader was appearing and
disappearing.

Hopefully I can solve this problem by going to 'FireWire', but that
won't help with the fact that the drive is not appearing under
explorer.

I will check out Tweak UI, but also will look to see if I can find some
new USB drivers.

It gets worse!!

I have now noticed that "My Computer" isn't being updated with
anything.

For example, if I rename a drive, nothing happens..

But then, if I go into 'Computer Management' I can see the new name..
But My Computer shows the old name.. If I then 'kill' EXPLORER.EXE it
shows the correct name.. But then I can't rename it again.

Something is very wrong, but I don't know where to start.

TWEAK_UI gave me some interesting options, but all of the relevant
boxes were ticked.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions??

Jon

jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk wrote:
> Interesting.. I will do just that.. I am now starting to wonder if my
> problem is slightly more sinister...
>
> The last 'Removable Device' I bought was a 12 in 1 card reader.. I
> expected it to be PnP, but it was really slow and had problems reading
> cards. I then discovered that I had to install drivers after which it
> was fine.
>
> Recently I started to use my Palm with a program called 'Card Export'
> which would make it appear as a drive and this is the device which has
> the probelm listed above.
>
> However, this week I also bought an iPod and when its connected my PC
> keeps going 'Bing Bong' as if a new device was appearing/disappearing.
>
> When Iooked, I noticed that the card reader was appearing and
> disappearing.
>
> Hopefully I can solve this problem by going to 'FireWire', but that
> won't help with the fact that the drive is not appearing under
> explorer.
>
> I will check out Tweak UI, but also will look to see if I can find some
> new USB drivers.

jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk wrote:

>I have a couple of removable devices which are not appearing under
>explorer.
>
>When I connect them, the PC goes 'Bing Bong', but they do not appear.
>
>If I go into 'Computer Management' -> 'Disk Management' I can see the
>drive and it has a letter (Q:).
>
>Better still, if I click on the drive (under Disk Management) I can see
>its contents.
>
>Even more curious, if I open a CMD shell, I can see Q: and better
>still, if I type Q: in the Address bar, I can see it.
>
>But explorer (Or I should say My COmputer) does not show it.
>
>Finally, if I 'kill' explorer.exe and restart it, it appears.
>
>Does anyone know whats wrong?

Have you installed Microsoft's Tweak UI Powertoy? If so, run it, and
look under My Computer / Drives. Make sure all the boxes are checked
there.

Yep.. Its worse than that.. If I do 'Properties' on a hard drive,
rename it and then press OK.. The drive does not show its new name.

If I then go back into 'Properties' it still shows is old name..

But if I then go into 'Computer Management', the name HAS changed.. If
I then kill EXPLORER.EXE the name is correct.

Something is horribly wrong!!

Jon

Reapply the latest service pack. Something has screwed up Windows.

Also, full virus and spyware scans. They sometimes hook Window APIs.

If you have any software that provides explorer extentions, uninstall as a last resort.

<jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yep.. Its worse than that.. If I do 'Properties' on a hard drive,
> rename it and then press OK.. The drive does not show its new name.
>
> If I then go back into 'Properties' it still shows is old name..
>
> But if I then go into 'Computer Management', the name HAS changed.. If
> I then kill EXPLORER.EXE the name is correct.
>
> Something is horribly wrong!!
>
> Jon

jon.p.weaver@alcatel.co.uk wrote:

>It gets worse!!
>
>I have now noticed that "My Computer" isn't being updated with
>anything.
>
>For example, if I rename a drive, nothing happens..
>
>But then, if I go into 'Computer Management' I can see the new name..
>But My Computer shows the old name.. If I then 'kill' EXPLORER.EXE it
>shows the correct name.. But then I can't rename it again.

Have you tried pressing F5 to get My Computer to refresh its display?
Make sure it is the active window when you do that.

I think I might have cracked it.. A few months ago I enabled (under
Folder Options) "Launch Folder Windows in Separate Process".

I immediately had instablility problems, but after doing *something* (I
can't remember what), it all settled down.. So, I left it like this.

Last night I switched it off and it was the same.. But now after
killing EXPLORER.EXE everything seems to be working again.

So, I don't know whether this indicates some 'underlying' problem, but
all now appears to be good..

Jon

rajeevkumar85

Distinguished