Good reliable,Quiet Hard drive for mediia pc needed. Any R..

I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have read and from
first hand experience i like thier drives.

But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)

I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in my
Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.

Thanks for any help.
11 answers Last reply
More about good reliable quiet hard drive mediia needed

    "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

    > I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have read and from
    > first hand experience i like thier drives.
    >
    > But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)
    >
    > I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in my
    > Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.

    WDC, Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor are all good.

    Son Of Sheep <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

    > I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have
    > read and from first hand experience i like thier drives.

    > But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)

    > I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in
    > my Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.

    I prefer Samsungs myself, noticeably quieter than the Seagates.
    Run cooler too which is handy for a media PC, they can be a bit
    short on cooling to minimise the cooling fan noise.

    Ignore that fool Reaugh, he's never had a clue and
    didnt even notice the problem with the IBM 75GXP.

    Ron Reaugh wrote:

    >WDC, Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor are all good.

    Hey, Ron, did you ever change your opinion regarding quality of the
    last few generations of IBM harddrives? You were quite an ardent
    supporter, if I recall correctly...

    Previously Son Of Sheep. <sheep.com.au> wrote:

    > I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have read and from
    > first hand experience i like thier drives.

    Yes, quite good. For real quiet I like Samsung better, Seagate is
    not as quiet.

    > But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)

    Urgh. Another Deathstar. I advise to use it as a paperweight.

    > I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in my
    > Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.

    I think Samsung tops out at 160GB at the moment. If you decide to use
    two, make sure they have good mechanical decoupling. Otherwise you
    might get unpleasant interference between normally not realy notocable
    vibrations.

    I have some of the new 400GB Seagates in a Fileserver, no problems and
    not louder than other seagates from my impression when I tested one in
    my desktop PC before installation.

    Arno

    Yeah Ron Is SPecial :)

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Son Of Sheep. <sheep.com.au> wrote

    >> I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have
    >> read and from first hand experience i like thier drives.

    > Yes, quite good. For real quiet I like
    > Samsung better, Seagate is not as quiet.

    >> But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)

    > Urgh. Another Deathstar. I advise to use it as a paperweight.

    >> I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room
    >> in my Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.

    > I think Samsung tops out at 160GB at the moment.

    Nope, the 200Gs are buyable now and the
    250Gs next week in my and his country.

    Ron Reaugh wrote:

    > "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have read and from
    > > first hand experience i like thier drives.
    > >
    > > But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)
    > >
    > > I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in my
    > > Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.
    >
    > WDC, Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor are all good.

    Hey, Ron - you left out Excelstor there...

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

    Odie Ferrous wrote:

    > Ron Reaugh wrote:
    >>
    >> "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > I have had a good run with Seagate and from what i have read and from
    >> > first hand experience i like thier drives.
    >> >
    >> > But i have a 120 gig IBM drive now :)
    >> >
    >> > I need one atleast 200 gigs more would be good. But i have room in my
    >> > Media PC Antec Overture 2. Its the one i want to get or similar.
    >>
    >> WDC, Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor are all good.
    >
    > Hey, Ron - you left out Excelstor there...

    And well he might. YOU might be willing to buy drives from a 5 year old
    Chicomm startup with no track record . . . But he did leave out Samsung.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message news:3osqc1thk3kv1c71rkl9sfogunitt87de7@4ax.com

    > Yeah Ron Is SPecial :)

    Yup, the AI Rod Speed was modelled after him.

    "J. Clarke" wrote:

    > Odie Ferrous wrote:
    >
    > > Ron Reaugh wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

    > >> WDC, Seagate, Hitachi and Maxtor are all good.
    > >
    > > Hey, Ron - you left out Excelstor there...
    >
    > And well he might. YOU might be willing to buy drives from a 5 year old
    > Chicomm startup with no track record . . . But he did leave out Samsung.

    Of all the regs, I thought you'd have understood the irony.

    Odie
    --

    Odie Ferrous wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >> Odie Ferrous wrote:

    >> > Hey, Ron - you left out Excelstor there...
    >>
    >> And well he might. YOU might be willing to buy drives from a 5 year old
    >> Chicomm startup with no track record . . . But he did leave out Samsung.
    >>

    > Of all the regs, I thought you'd have understood the irony.

    Sorry, I've been humor-challenged lately for some reason. Maybe I need to
    get my meds adjusted.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate