WinExplorer crashes when displaying thumbnails of MPEG files

I have a folder containing mixed MPEG files (some MPGE1, some MPEG2). I can
look at this folder using List view, but when I view using thumbnails,
Windows Explorer crashes and closes. Also, any video software I try to use
(Roxio VideoWave, Ulead, or Windows Media Player 10) to open the folder also
crashes.

I've gone into Device Manager/Sound-video-game controllers/Video Codecs, and
selected Properties for each one. They all display with no errors.

I've found various postings about this type of problem on the Web, but
almost all pointed to WinExplorer crashing when viewing DivX files -- and I
don't have any of those.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated, as I'm now going mad trying to figure
this out!

Thank you!

Which DVD decoding software are you using? And which version?
www.coribright.com

"bmuse21" <bmuse21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a folder containing mixed MPEG files (some MPGE1, some MPEG2). I
>can
> look at this folder using List view, but when I view using thumbnails,
> Windows Explorer crashes and closes. Also, any video software I try to
> use
> (Roxio VideoWave, Ulead, or Windows Media Player 10) to open the folder
> also
> crashes.
>
> I've gone into Device Manager/Sound-video-game controllers/Video Codecs,
> and
> selected Properties for each one. They all display with no errors.
>
> I've found various postings about this type of problem on the Web, but
> almost all pointed to WinExplorer crashing when viewing DivX files -- and
> don't have any of those.
>
> Any help will be MUCH appreciated, as I'm now going mad trying to figure
> this out!
>
> Thank you!

Hi Cari,

I have Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 (VideoWave 7 & DVD Builder). When
WinExplorer crashes/closes, its error dialog specifies "mpeg2vidcodec.dll".
This is in a Roxio shared directory. But, according to a response from
Roxio, the problem can't be with their codec (naturally). If I rename that
file, Windows no longer tries to generate thumbnails and no longer crashes.

But, now the MPEG2 files have the WM icon instead of thumbnails. If I open
one, WMP10 will open, then give me an error message that "Windows Media
Player cannot play the file because a required codec is not installed on your
computer." But then, the file starts to play anyway! (??)

Finally, with that DLL file renamed, my Roxio programs no longer recognize
the MPEG2 files at all, and won't load them.

Can I replace this particular DLL with another MPEG2 codec? Will that
enable WMP and the other programs to see/load/play the files? If so, where
do I find the proper codec?

Thanks for any help, I'm not a computer newbie but I'm kinda new to codecs
etc.

Do you have all the updates for EMC v7...... open one single application
whilst connected to the internet.... (eg Classic Creator).... and use the
AutoUpdate feature.

> Hi Cari,
>
> I have Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 (VideoWave 7 & DVD Builder). When
> WinExplorer crashes/closes, its error dialog specifies
> "mpeg2vidcodec.dll".
> This is in a Roxio shared directory. But, according to a response from
> Roxio, the problem can't be with their codec (naturally). If I rename
> that
> file, Windows no longer tries to generate thumbnails and no longer
> crashes.
>
> But, now the MPEG2 files have the WM icon instead of thumbnails. If I
> open
> one, WMP10 will open, then give me an error message that "Windows Media
> Player cannot play the file because a required codec is not installed on
> your
> computer." But then, the file starts to play anyway! (??)
>
> Finally, with that DLL file renamed, my Roxio programs no longer recognize
> the MPEG2 files at all, and won't load them.
>
> Can I replace this particular DLL with another MPEG2 codec? Will that
> enable WMP and the other programs to see/load/play the files? If so,
> where
> do I find the proper codec?
>
> Thanks for any help, I'm not a computer newbie but I'm kinda new to codecs
> etc.

Don't know about all this as much as you, but I kept crashing for 3 weeks,
finally I got smart and went to cyberlink and then to Quicktime and iTunes,
and Power DVD got all I could download from them and working, then went back
to WMP 10 and redownloaded it to desktop and installed it from there. I also
had to have the DirectX 9.0c in and working correctly for me to play like a
fool!!! Good luck! Always...