cannot connect to default gateway with netgear usb adapter

This was actually posted by somebody else to the netgear website but this
problem (along with an ip conflict is stopping me from connecting a client
pc to the wireless network)

Netgear MA111 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter

Details: Adapter was working initially.
Then I installed updates to Windows XP from Microsoft.
I did not install Hotfix Q815485.
Now the Wireless Configuration Utility says the Signal Strength and Link
Quality are Excellent; also the Wireless Network Connection Status says the
Signal Strength is excellent. In the Device Manager, the properties says the
"device is working properly".
However, when I launch Internet Explorer, no webpages will load; it says it
cannot find the server. The Wireless Configuration Utility says, after about
15 minutes of operation, that data transmitted is '144', and received is
'5'.

The IP conflict is that laptop and client pc are sharing the same ip
address, I was of the understanding that the DHCP server actually
automatically assigned addresses whenever a device joined the network. How
do I resolve this issue?

Since you mention you are winXP then do this.....

XP
Start->Control Panel->

Now if in classical view you will see "Network Connections". If in category
view you will need to click "Network and Internet Connections" then click
"Network Connections".

Right click on your network adapter and choose properties. Next double
click on TCP/IP. Now inside here you should make sure their is a black dot
next to "Obtain an IP address automatically". You should also set "Obtain
DNS server address automatically".

Reboot the PC and repeat to all other PC's on the network.

Bryan Martin