Hum off new harddrive - sat 250g samsung

fitted as a 2nd drive in the hd cage so horizontal

will double check fittings later but is that type of alternating low level
hum a sign ?

thanks

zjustice wrote:

> fitted as a 2nd drive in the hd cage so horizontal
>
> will double check fittings later but is that type of alternating low level
> hum a sign ?

"Alternating low level hum"? Does it come and go, fading in and out on a
regular period? If so then it's most likely a beat frequency from a couple
of devices running at slightly different speeds--when they're both
vibrating in sync then they amplify each other, when they're opposite of
being in sync then they cancel each other, and in between is the fade in
and out.

Most likely would be a couple of disks mounted in a location such that their
rotational frequency is a multiple of panel resonance. Try moving the
drives to a different position in the stack if there are more bays
available and the problem will likely go away. I have an Antec server case
here that buzzes like a hornet if I put a 7200 RPM drive in the bottom bay,
but move it up one and there's no sound at all.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> fitted as a 2nd drive in the hd cage so horizontal
>
> will double check fittings later but is that type of alternating low level
> hum a sign ?
>
> thanks

Multiple drives can cause resonance.

--
Derek

thats it - i'll give that a try

i'm in the uk

thanks

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> zjustice wrote:
>

> > fitted as a 2nd drive in the hd cage so horizontal
> >
> > will double check fittings later but is that type of alternating low
level
> > hum a sign ?
>
> "Alternating low level hum"? Does it come and go, fading in and out on a
> regular period? If so then it's most likely a beat frequency from a
couple
> of devices running at slightly different speeds--when they're both
> vibrating in sync then they amplify each other, when they're opposite of
> being in sync then they cancel each other, and in between is the fade in
> and out.
>
> Most likely would be a couple of disks mounted in a location such that
their
> rotational frequency is a multiple of panel resonance. Try moving the
> drives to a different position in the stack if there are more bays
> available and the problem will likely go away. I have an Antec server
case
> here that buzzes like a hornet if I put a 7200 RPM drive in the bottom
bay,
> but move it up one and there's no sound at all.
>
> > thanks
>
> --
> --John
> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:2LmdnYu318qISlffRVnyvQ@pipex.net...

> fitted as a 2nd drive in the hd cage so horizontal

> will double check fittings later but is that
> type of alternating low level hum a sign ?

Most likely there's just something loose in the case.

You can use Everest to check the SMART stats for the drive.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

i'll give that a go

its good on the samsung diagnostic prog off their site

one thing - i'm virus scanning a load of files on it - drive is only a few
days old

it seemd a bit noisy scanning thru but as i type its quitened down !

maybe its still in the calibrating zone as new ?

thanks

message news:ps-dnVn-j7jKd1ffRVnyvw@pipex.net...

> i'll give that a go

> its good on the samsung diagnostic prog off their site

> one thing - i'm virus scanning a load of files on it - drive is only a few
> days old

> it seemd a bit noisy scanning thru but as i type its quitened down !

Likely there is something loose in the PC case.

Or a beat frequency with another drive.

Thats the other thing about samsungs, you cant even hear them seeking.

> maybe its still in the calibrating zone as new ?

I didnt get that effect with the latest 160G samsung I just added.

I'm about to add at least one 250G, when the suppliers can supply it.