Maxtor SATA/150 on ASUS P5P800 - NTLDR missing

Trying to install Maxtor SATA/150 HDD as boot disk connected to an ASUS
P5P800 motherboard.

I have two problems.

The first is that the motherboard ignores settings I make and save in
BIOS which tell it to boot from floppy or CD-ROM and it boots from hard
disk instead. When I use F8, and specify a boot device, the
motherboard ignores it and boots from hard disk instead. Go figure?

The second problem is that I bought a new Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 60GB
SATA/150 HDD to replace my old WDC 40GB IDE/100 HDD. The computer
runs fine with the old HDD. I loaded WinXP on the new SATA drive.
After I reboot I keep getting NTLDR missing error. The disk works
just fine as a secondary disk which I can access if I boot off of the
old HDD.

Does anyone know of a fix for this NTLDR problem when booting from an
SATA drive
connected to an ASUS P5P800 motherboard? Remember I can't boot off of
the floppy or CD-ROM as described above.

carqs123 <carqs123@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Trying to install Maxtor SATA/150 HDD as boot
> disk connected to an ASUS P5P800 motherboard.

> I have two problems.

> The first is that the motherboard ignores settings
> I make and save in BIOS which tell it to boot from
> floppy or CD-ROM and it boots from hard disk instead.

Those settings can be a bit counter intuitive.

You're basically specifying a BOOT ORDER, so
the floppy and cdrom should be at the top of the list.

If it cant see bootable media, it will proceed down the list
until it finds something bootable, and that can be the hard
drive if it cant read the floppy or cdrom drive properly.

> When I use F8, and specify a boot device, the motherboard
> ignores it and boots from hard disk instead. Go figure?

Likely for the same reason, it cant see any bootable media in what
you select and proceeds to boot whatever it can find that it decides
is bootable, and that looks like its currently the hard drive.

> The second problem is that I bought a new Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 60GB
> SATA/150 HDD to replace my old WDC 40GB IDE/100 HDD. The computer
> runs fine with the old HDD. I loaded WinXP on the new SATA drive.

How ?

> After I reboot I keep getting NTLDR missing error.

Thats usually the result of it not being able to read
the drive properly so it cant manage to find NTLDR.

> The disk works just fine as a secondary disk
> which I can access if I boot off of the old HDD.

> Does anyone know of a fix for this NTLDR
> problem when booting from an SATA drive
> connected to an ASUS P5P800 motherboard?

Did you use the maxtor steaming turd software to install the new drive ?

> Remember I can't boot off of the floppy or CD-ROM as described above.

You need to fix that. Its gotta be fixable given that it affects both of those.