Imaging an Entire Partitoned Hard Drive - Is this possible ?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 2:53:14 AM

I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.

Is this possible ?

B.N.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 2:53:15 AM

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> wrote in message
>I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
> the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.
>
> Is this possible ?

Yes.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 2:53:15 AM

admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
> the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.
>
> Is this possible ?
>
> B.N.

I don't use Drive Image, but you can definitely do it with Ghost. Just
choose to image "Drive" rather than "Partition"... they're in the same
menu in my (old) version of Ghost.

//Kevin
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 3:14:30 AM

"Kevin Buffardi" wrote:
> admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
>> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
>> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
>> the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.
>>
>> Is this possible ?
>
> I don't use Drive Image, but you can definitely do it with Ghost. Just
> choose to image "Drive" rather than "Partition"... they're in the same
> menu in my (old) version of Ghost.

With Acronis's True Image, you can *only* image the entire drive,
not just a partition. That's why I don't use it.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 12:08:10 PM

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Kevin Buffardi" wrote:
>> admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:
>>> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
>>> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
>>> the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.
>>>
>>> Is this possible ?
>>
>> I don't use Drive Image, but you can definitely do it with Ghost. Just
>> choose to image "Drive" rather than "Partition"... they're in the same
>> menu in my (old) version of Ghost.
>

> With Acronis's True Image, you can *only* image the entire drive,
> not just a partition. That's why I don't use it.

That is flat FALSE.

See Section 4.1 http://us1.download.acronis.com/pdf/trueimage8.0_ug.en....

TrueImage is a superior product for doing HD image backups and has
considerable flexibility including selecting partitions.

Let me guess...you work for Symantec?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 1:07:17 PM

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> wrote in message

> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files
> of individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to
> Image the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.

> Is this possible ?

Yep, all the mainstream imagers can do that, including DI 2002.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 2:55:00 PM

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> wrote in message
> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to Image
> the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.
>
> Is this possible ?
>
> B.N.

As long as you have some device with adequate space to save the image file
to. You cannot image an entire hard drive, and save that image to the same
hard drive if that's your implication.

Never heard of DI2000. DI2002 or DI 6.0, is the only exception I know of
that used the year of mfr for its name.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 5:50:08 PM

"Ron Reaugh" fumed:
> TrueImage has effective restore and emergency recovery
> procedure including full bootability.

Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted
unless an *entire* hard drive has been copied to
another *entire* hard drive. Thus, multiple bootable
copies of a system partition cannot be put on a
backup or archiving hard drive and available for
immediate booting without having to perform a
"restore" or "emergency recovery procedure".
When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
manager to select any one of several archived
system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
with the backup in two minutes.

Ghost, Drive Image, and I hear CasperXP, facilitate
that. And from what I can tell from the descriptions of
Paragon's Exact Image 7.0 and ITS System's TransXP,
they do, too. But True Image does not. It's too bad that
Acronis let such a minor feature ruin True Image for use
in such an easy and quick backup scheme. Maybe
they'll get it right in version 9.0 .

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 7, 2005 8:34:19 PM

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> Kevin Buffardi wrote:
>> admiral_victory@iol.ie wrote:

>>> I have used Drive Image 2000 many times to generate Image Files of
>>> individual Partions on my hard drive but have never attempted to
>>> Image the entire drive including all contained Partitions before.

>>> Is this possible ?

>> I don't use Drive Image, but you can definitely do it with Ghost. Just choose
>> to image "Drive" rather than "Partition"... they're in
>> the same menu in my (old) version of Ghost.

> With Acronis's True Image, you can *only* image the entire drive, not just a
> partition.

Wrong.

> That's why I don't use it.

More fool you.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:05:11 AM

Timothy Daniels wrote
> Ron Reaugh wrote

>> TrueImage has effective restore and emergency recovery procedure including
>> full bootability.

> Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted unless an *entire* hard drive
> has been copied to another *entire* hard drive.

Wrong.

> Thus, multiple bootable copies of a system partition cannot be put on a backup
> or archiving hard drive and available for immediate booting without having to
> perform a "restore" or "emergency recovery procedure".

Wrong. All you have to do is setup an XP multiboot
config ONCE and THEN just clone partitions for
backup as required and use the multiboot to select
which you want to boot from when something dies.

> When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
> procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
> manager to select any one of several archived
> system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
> with the backup in two minutes.

You only have to set that up initially and then use
whatever you like to do the cloning of individual
partitions at whatever rate you choose for backup.

> Ghost, Drive Image, and I hear CasperXP, facilitate that.

Nope, not with the multiboot they dont.

> And from what I can tell from the descriptions of
> Paragon's Exact Image 7.0 and ITS System's TransXP, they do, too. But True
> Image does not.

Wrong.

> It's too bad that Acronis let such a minor feature ruin True Image for use in
> such an easy and quick backup scheme.

They didnt.

> Maybe they'll get it right in version 9.0 .

Or maybe you will eventually manage to grasp that you
have always got that stuff wrong, for years and years now.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:05:12 AM

"Rod Speed" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote
>> Ron Reaugh wrote
>
>>> TrueImage has effective restore and emergency recovery procedure including
>>> full bootability.
>
>> Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted unless an *entire* hard drive
>> has been copied to another *entire* hard drive.
>
> Wrong.
>
>> Thus, multiple bootable copies of a system partition cannot be put on a backup
>> or archiving hard drive and available for immediate booting without having to
>> perform a "restore" or "emergency recovery procedure".
>
> Wrong. All you have to do is setup an XP multiboot
> config ONCE and THEN just clone partitions for
> backup as required and use the multiboot to select
> which you want to boot from when something dies.
>
>> When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
>> procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
>> manager to select any one of several archived
>> system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
>> with the backup in two minutes.
>
> You only have to set that up initially and then use
> whatever you like to do the cloning of individual
> partitions at whatever rate you choose for backup.
>
>> Ghost, Drive Image, and I hear CasperXP, facilitate that.
>
> Nope, not with the multiboot they dont.
>
>> And from what I can tell from the descriptions of
>> Paragon's Exact Image 7.0 and ITS System's TransXP,
>> they do, too. But True Image does not.
>
> Wrong.
>
>> It's too bad that Acronis let such a minor feature ruin
>> True Image for use in such an easy and quick backup scheme.
>
> They didnt.
>
>> Maybe they'll get it right in version 9.0 .
>
> Or maybe you will eventually manage to grasp that you
> have always got that stuff wrong, for years and years now.

You don't seem to remember that a couple months ago you
agreed that an entire hard drive had to be cloned with True
Image and that one couldn't select just a single partition.

To wit:

On Mar 22nd, I wrote in this NG:

"Interesting. One question, though: Can you use TI to
clone just one partition to another physical drive or do
you HAVE to clone the entire physical disk?"

To which you replied on Mar 23rd:

"Looks like you have to move them all. You dont even appear
to be able to clone them all but set the destination to zero size
for the ones you dont want."

"You can obviously image the partition you want to move
and then restore the image to the other physical drive tho."

I understand all the multi-boot/boot.ini/active partition/BIOS stuff.
But the GUI (and True Image reps) say that one must clone the *entire*
source hard drive to the *entire* destination drive. That prevents
putting just a single bootable partition in with other bootable partitions
on the destination drive. If you know of some straight forward way to do it,
please post your method.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:13:56 AM

I understand what you want. You don't want images of your drive, which
are just files and not bootable clones. You want an exact copy of your
partition to boot into in the case of corruption of your primary boot
partition with no loss of time. This is certainly can be done with
something like Partition Magic, which doesn't image the partition but
will make an exact copy. There are issues, though.

1. You have to make the copy over and over to keep it current, which is
no different I guess than backing up over and over.
2. If you copy to the same drive, you have to make sure the boot.ini
file of the cloned partition points at the right place. It won't help
if it points to the corrupted partition. If memory serves me correctly,
when copying the boot partition with partiition magic, it will
correctly rewrite both boot.ini files with a menu to choose one of the
now two bootable partitions.
3. Beware copying the boot partition to a different drive. I tried that
once and it was a disaster. I was later told that there is something
called a disk signature, maybe. And if you copy the boot partition to
drive two but the disk signature still tells it that is on disk one, it
will still try to use disk one. I was told that this could be fixed in
the registry, but I don't have the details. It certainly didn't work
properly for me but I am told it can be done.

I always try to have two working operating systems on every system,
because it makes some things easier. I personally agree with you that
it is worthwhile, though I will state clearly that if people don't know
what they are doing it is a recipe for disaster. And actually, for
people like me who sometimes know what they are doing, it still can be
a disaster and has been. But I still think it is a good idea more times
than not.

Irwin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:29:39 AM

[...]

July 8, 2005 12:18:04 PM

> "Ron Reaugh" fumed:
>> TrueImage has effective restore and emergency recovery
>> procedure including full bootability.
>

> Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted
> unless an *entire* hard drive has been copied to
> another *entire* hard drive. Thus, multiple bootable
> copies of a system partition cannot be put on a
> backup or archiving hard drive and available for
> immediate booting without having to perform a
> "restore" or "emergency recovery procedure".

Double talk. With TrueImage one boots from a recovery CD.

> When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
> procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
> manager to select any one of several archived
> system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
> with the backup in two minutes.

That functionality has nothing to do with imaging but how ones keeps their
HD.

> Ghost, Drive Image, and I hear CasperXP, facilitate
> that. And from what I can tell from the descriptions of
> Paragon's Exact Image 7.0 and ITS System's TransXP,
> they do, too. But True Image does not. It's too bad that
> Acronis let such a minor feature ruin True Image for use
> in such an easy and quick backup scheme. Maybe
> they'll get it right in version 9.0 .

Try a coherent attempt at describing some functionality that TrueImage is
missing. You made a claim earlier in this thread that was blatantly FALSE.
Now you gibber.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 12:20:16 PM

> You don't seem to remember that a couple months ago you
> agreed that an entire hard drive had to be cloned with True
> Image and that one couldn't select just a single partition.

Wacko, you seemed to have forgotten that I proved in this thread that
TrueImage CAN SO DO!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 1:22:09 PM

Rod Reaugh wrote:

>"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You don't seem to remember that a couple months ago you
>> agreed that an entire hard drive had to be cloned with True
>> Image and that one couldn't select just a single partition.
>
>Wacko, you seemed to have forgotten that I proved in this thread that
>TrueImage CAN SO DO!

Perhaps he is wise-eoungh to have you filtered, Rod^Hn.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 1:40:38 PM

"Irwin" wrote:
> I understand what you want. You don't want images of your drive,
> which are just files and not bootable clones. You want an exact
> copy of your partition to boot into in the case of corruption of
> your primary boot partition with no loss of time. This is certainly
> can be done with something like Partition Magic, which doesn't
> image the partition but will make an exact copy. There are issues,
> though.

I have Partition Magic, but it first "compacts" the
partitions on the destination drive before doing the
copy, and the overall process takes too long.

> 1. You have to make the copy over and over to keep it current,
> which is no different I guess than backing up over and over.

My "incremental backups" are done simply by
dragging 'n dropping a couple directories to the
lastest partition on the destination drive. Total
backups take about 5 to 9 minutes.

> 2. If you copy to the same drive, you have to make sure the boot.ini
> file of the cloned partition points at the right place. It won't help
> if it points to the corrupted partition. If memory serves me correctly,
> when copying the boot partition with partiition magic, it will
> correctly rewrite both boot.ini files with a menu to choose one of
> the now two bootable partitions.

Yes, the boot.ini file on the primary system must
have an entry added to point to the new partition,
and the new partition must have its boot.ini file
extended to point to other partitions on the drive.
I just have a generic boot.ini file that points to all
possible partitions in the system, and I use it to
select partitions to boot, not named systems.

> 3. Beware copying the boot partition to a different drive. I tried
> that once and it was a disaster. I was later told that there is
> something called a disk signature, maybe. And if you copy the
> boot partition to drive two but the disk signature still tells it that
> is on disk one, it will still try to use disk one. I was told that this
> could be fixed in the registry, but I don't have the details. It certainly
> didn't work properly for me but I am told it can be done.

Rod Speed's tip for handling that problem is to
be sure that the "parent" system is not visible to
the clone when the clone boots up for the 1st time.
After the clone has established its own identity by
its 1st boot-up, it can subsequently be booted with
its "parent" visible to it, and the "parent" system
will only appear to it as just another partition with
an accessible file structure - which makes subsequent
drag 'n drops between the two systems real easy.

> I always try to have two working operating systems on every system,
> because it makes some things easier. I personally agree with you
> that it is worthwhile, though I will state clearly that if people don't know
> what they are doing it is a recipe for disaster. And actually, for people
> like me who sometimes know what they are doing, it still can be a
> disaster and has been. But I still think it is a good idea more times
> than not.

Three caveats pertain:

1) Don't boot the clone for the 1st time with its "parent"
visible to it.

2) Adjust the boot.ini files in both "parent" and clone
partitions. (I just use a generic boot.ini file that has
with lots of pointers.)

3) If you want to boot the new clone using *it's* boot.ini file,
its "active" flag must be set for its partition, and
its hard drive must appear at the head of the BIOS'
hard drive boot order.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 1:57:04 PM

"Ron Reaugh" wrote:

> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>> "Ron Reaugh" fumed:
>>> TrueImage has effective restore and emergency recovery
>>> procedure including full bootability.
>>

>> Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted
>> unless an *entire* hard drive has been copied to
>> another *entire* hard drive. Thus, multiple bootable
>> copies of a system partition cannot be put on a
>> backup or archiving hard drive and available for
>> immediate booting without having to perform a
>> "restore" or "emergency recovery procedure".
>
> Double talk. With TrueImage one boots from a recovery CD.
>
>> When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
>> procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
>> manager to select any one of several archived
>> system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
>> with the backup in two minutes.
>
> That functionality has nothing to do with imaging but how ones
> keeps their HD.

The "recovery CD" merely copies the image file
back to a primary hard drive to re-create a bootable
system partition. That takes a long time. My method
has a bootable system that can be booted immediately
from an internal hard drive, and so it's much quicker to
be back up and running. The internal hard drive may
be mounted in a standard HD slot, or it can be on a
removeable tray such as those made by Kingwin:
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_cat.asp?CateID=25

I use the one with the fan in the bottom of the tray,
and it stays quite cool during use:
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=2...

A Froogle.Google or a Nextag or a Pricewatch search
can find prices on these tray/rack pairs going for
around $14 and extra trays for around $10. I love 'em.
I use shielded round cable with 'em, and I love those, too.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 2:00:00 PM

"Irwin" wrote:
>I understand what you want. You don't want images of your drive,
> which are just files and not bootable clones. You want an exact
> copy of your partition to boot into in the case of corruption of
> your primary boot partition with no loss of time....
> [.............]

Yes. Please see my reply elsewhere in this thread.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 2:16:23 PM

Timothy Daniels wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Timothy Daniels wrote
>>> Ron Reaugh wrote

>>> Yes, but the clones themselves can't be booted unless an *entire*
>>> hard drive has been copied to another *entire* hard drive.

>> Wrong.

>>> Thus, multiple bootable copies of a system partition cannot be put
>>> on a backup or archiving hard drive and available for immediate
>>> booting without having to perform a "restore" or "emergency
>>> recovery procedure".

>> Wrong. All you have to do is setup an XP multiboot
>> config ONCE and THEN just clone partitions for
>> backup as required and use the multiboot to select
>> which you want to boot from when something dies.

>>> When *I* have to perform an "emergency recovery
>>> procedure", I just use the BIOS and XP's multi-boot
>>> manager to select any one of several archived
>>> system partitions to boot, and I'm up and running
>>> with the backup in two minutes.

>> You only have to set that up initially and then use
>> whatever you like to do the cloning of individual
>> partitions at whatever rate you choose for backup.

>>> Ghost, Drive Image, and I hear CasperXP, facilitate that.

>> Nope, not with the multiboot they dont.

>>> And from what I can tell from the descriptions of
>>> Paragon's Exact Image 7.0 and ITS System's TransXP, they do, too. But True
>>> Image does not.

>> Wrong.

>>> It's too bad that Acronis let such a minor feature ruin
>>> True Image for use in such an easy and quick backup scheme.

>> They didnt.

>>> Maybe they'll get it right in version 9.0 .

>> Or maybe you will eventually manage to grasp that you
>> have always got that stuff wrong, for years and years now.

> You don't seem to remember that a couple months ago you
> agreed that an entire hard drive had to be cloned with True
> Image and that one couldn't select just a single partition.

I actually said that it had to be done indirectly
with an image file used in a two step process.

Completely routine to do it that way with
an automated clone of the partition.

Thats an entirely separate issue to this other question of ensuring
that the result is bootable when you need to boot the clone.

> To wit:

> On Mar 22nd, I wrote in this NG:

> "Interesting. One question, though: Can you use TI to clone just one
> partition to another physical drive or do you HAVE to clone the entire
> physical disk?"

> To which you replied on Mar 23rd:

> "Looks like you have to move them all. You dont even appear to be able to
> clone them all but set the destination to zero size for the ones you dont
> want."

> "You can obviously image the partition you want to move
> and then restore the image to the other physical drive tho."

You just ignored this crucial bit.

> I understand all the multi-boot/boot.ini/active partition/BIOS stuff.

No you didnt, and you still dont.

> But the GUI (and True Image reps) say that one must clone the *entire* source
> hard drive to the *entire* destination drive.

You dont if you use an image file in a two step process, as I said.

> That prevents putting just a single bootable partition in with other bootable
> partitions on the destination drive.

Nope.

> If you know of some straight forward way to do it, please post your method.

I've done that, three times now.

YOU USE AN IMAGE FILE IN A TWO STEP PROCESS.

YOU FIRST CREATE AN IMAGE OF THE PARTITION
AND THEN YOU RESTORE THAT IMAGE TO WHERE
YOU WANT THE CLONE TO BE.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 2:16:24 PM

"Rod Speed" waffled:
> YOU USE AN IMAGE FILE IN A TWO STEP PROCESS.
>
> YOU FIRST CREATE AN IMAGE OF THE PARTITION
> AND THEN YOU RESTORE THAT IMAGE TO WHERE
> YOU WANT THE CLONE TO BE.

Thanks for the kludge! < :-) > But until True Image gets it
right with direct copying possible to a designated area of
another hard drive of a single bootable clone of a system
partition - as Ghost and other utilities can - True Image will
continue to be a step behind the others.

Specifically, in Ghost, et.al., you can select and clone a
single system partition from hard drive 0 to any large-enough
partition (or unallocated space) on hard drive 1 and have
that clone bootable. You can even put several bootable
system partitions on hard drive 1 (or 2 or 3), and any of them
can be selected by the XP boot manager and the boot.ini
file to be booted. No two step process is needed with Ghost.
If I get CasperXP, I'll let you know how it works out.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 2:16:25 PM

"Rod Speed" wrote:
> Your demand for a clone of just a partition never made
> any sense. You dont need and instant switch on hard drive
> failure and if you did need that, you should be using RAID.

If I wanted to drop back to a previously working system in
the event of flaky software, RAID wouldn't do it. RAID just
makes redundant the current state.

> And anyone with a clue either uses an
> image or RAID if they need an instant switch.

An image file has to be "restored" from its archival medium.
A bootable clone just has to be booted from where is resides
on a hard disk.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 2:17:54 PM

So, you are saying that you were able to copy the boot partition from
disc 1 to disk 2 and and the OS on disc 2 worked properly?

You know, I did that also, and it looked like it worked properly but
actually it wasn't. It isn't always easy to tell. The OS from disc 2
was actually using files from disc 1, which wasn't what I wanted but I
couldn't tell initially since the files were the same. It would be a
serious problem if they were not compatible or corrupted.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 3:01:20 PM

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So, you are saying that you were able to copy the boot partition from
> disc 1 to disk 2 and and the OS on disc 2 worked properly?

Yes. You have to observe Rod Speed's tip and boot up
the clone for the 1st time without its "parent" visible to it.
That can be done by unplugging the "parent" HD temporarily
or by cutting off the "parent" HD's power. I do the latter with
a DPST switch in the "parent" HD's power cable. If you have
the "parent" HD in a removeable tray - such as the kind made
by Kingwin - you can use its power switch to do the same
thing.

> You know, I did that also, and it looked like it worked properly but
> actually it wasn't. It isn't always easy to tell. The OS from disc 2
> was actually using files from disc 1, which wasn't what I wanted but I
> couldn't tell initially since the files were the same. It would be a
> serious problem if they were not compatible or corrupted.

That's a classic symptom of a clone's 1st boot-up with
the "parent" visible to it. Observe the 3 caveats that I listed,
and you won't have a problem.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 3:03:01 PM

"Irwin" wrote:
> So, you are saying that you were able to copy the boot partition
> from disc 1 to disk 2 and and the OS on disc 2 worked properly?
>
> You know, I did that also, and it looked like it worked properly but
> actually it wasn't. It isn't always easy to tell. The OS from disc 2
> was actually using files from disc 1, which wasn't what I wanted
> but I couldn't tell initially since the files were the same. It would be
> a serious problem if they were not compatible or corrupted.

Yes. Please see my reply elsewhere in this thread.

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:32:25 PM

Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Your demand for a clone of just a partition never made
>> any sense. You dont need and instant switch on hard drive
>> failure and if you did need that, you should be using RAID.

> If I wanted to drop back to a previously working system in the event of flaky
> software, RAID wouldn't do it. RAID just makes redundant the current state.

Correct. But you have never been able to show why
you cant just restore an image in that particular situation.

>> And anyone with a clue either uses an
>> image or RAID if they need an instant switch.

> An image file has to be "restored" from its archival medium.

Correct.

!