Data conversion

Hey

I need to convert some 50GB of data from ext2 to NTFS.

How do I do it?

Anyone tried this before?
2 answers Last reply
More about data conversion

    Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
    > Hey

    > I need to convert some 50GB of data from ext2 to NTFS.

    > How do I do it?

    > Anyone tried this before?

    Direct conversion is AFAIK not possible. It is also a very bad idea,
    since if anything goes wrong, you might loose the original data.

    So get 50 GB additional storage, put FAT32 on it and copy it over with
    Linux (e.g. Knoppix CD-only Linux) and then either copy with windows
    from FAT32 to NTFS or convert the FAT32 to NTFS.

    You can also read ext2 from windows with some commercial drivers
    (forgot which, since I have no interest in doing this).

    Arno

    Ann Onimus wrote:

    > Hey
    >
    > I need to convert some 50GB of data from ext2 to NTFS.
    >
    > How do I do it?
    >
    > Anyone tried this before?

    Build a Linux box. Install Samba. Share the root directory and all
    subdirectories of the drive. Build a Windows box. Run a crossover cable
    from that to the Linux box. Mount the Samba share. Xcopy /s *.*. Done.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hardware Storage IBM