Dude, where's my hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 8:37:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm running a PC with a SATA drive and an IDE drive. The SATA drive, which
boots the machine, is running Win XP. But Windows doesn't see the IDE drive
and I can't access it. This IDE drive has Linux on it. I used to boot into
it using a Linux boot loader. Recently my drive crashed and I installed a
new one. But I lost the boot loader in the process. Does anybody know how
I can install just the boot loader on my new drive so I can boot into Linux
on the other machine? Thanks!

More about : dude hard drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 10:25:46 AM

A fundamental question is whether anything can see the IDE drive. Does
the BIOS see it?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:06:09 AM

Hiawatha Bray wrote:
> I'm running a PC with a SATA drive and an IDE drive. The SATA drive, which
> boots the machine, is running Win XP. But Windows doesn't see the IDE drive
> and I can't access it. This IDE drive has Linux on it. I used to boot into
> it using a Linux boot loader. Recently my drive crashed and I installed a
> new one. But I lost the boot loader in the process. Does anybody know how
> I can install just the boot loader on my new drive so I can boot into Linux
> on the other machine? Thanks!

You can restore your linux boot loader using your linux
installation CD. You should ask how in one of the linux newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2005 2:02:14 AM

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120829146.634137.180480@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
> A fundamental question is whether anything can see the IDE drive. Does
> the BIOS see it?

No, the fundamental question is whether WinXP can see a LINUX native drive.