Dude, where's my hard drive?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm running a PC with a SATA drive and an IDE drive. The SATA drive, which
boots the machine, is running Win XP. But Windows doesn't see the IDE drive
and I can't access it. This IDE drive has Linux on it. I used to boot into
it using a Linux boot loader. Recently my drive crashed and I installed a
new one. But I lost the boot loader in the process. Does anybody know how
I can install just the boot loader on my new drive so I can boot into Linux
on the other machine? Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about dude where hard drive

    A fundamental question is whether anything can see the IDE drive. Does
    the BIOS see it?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I'm running a PC with a SATA drive and an IDE drive. The SATA drive, which
    > boots the machine, is running Win XP. But Windows doesn't see the IDE drive
    > and I can't access it. This IDE drive has Linux on it. I used to boot into
    > it using a Linux boot loader. Recently my drive crashed and I installed a
    > new one. But I lost the boot loader in the process. Does anybody know how
    > I can install just the boot loader on my new drive so I can boot into Linux
    > on the other machine? Thanks!

    You can restore your linux boot loader using your linux
    installation CD. You should ask how in one of the linux newsgroups.

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120829146.634137.180480@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com
    > A fundamental question is whether anything can see the IDE drive. Does
    > the BIOS see it?

    No, the fundamental question is whether WinXP can see a LINUX native drive.

Hardware Boot Storage