NTLDR Missing

Maybe someone out there can help me with this boot issue. I am running
two hard drives in my pc. When I power on the primary master is not
found, but the slave is. Then after the POST it gives me the NTLDR
missing message. When I ctrl/alt/del the primary master is found and
it boots normally...this happens every single time I power on. Any
ideas???

Thanks.
20 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing

    > Maybe someone out there can help me with this boot issue. I am running
    > two hard drives in my pc. When I power on the primary master is not
    > found, but the slave is. Then after the POST it gives me the NTLDR
    > missing message. When I ctrl/alt/del the primary master is found and
    > it boots normally...this happens every single time I power on. Any
    > ideas???

    Slow power-on master HD? Adjust BIOS setting for a longer disk timeout.

    The motherboard and slave drive are fairly new...about a year or so I
    would say. I am running XP Pro. The disk that is now the slave used
    to be my only hard drive, but about a month ago I had the partition
    where the OS was fail. So, I had to format that partition and start
    over. When I did, I had an older 40 gig laying around that installed
    XP Pro on and used that as the master and set the other one to the
    slave. That way I figured I could keep all my data and just use the
    old 40 for the OS. It is working out fine other than the boot
    problem...more of a pain than anything I guess.

    I will try the cable select thing and see if that helps. Do you think
    that there is a setting in the BIOS that may need changed???

    Thanks for your input, and time.

    "buhite" wrote:
    > The motherboard and slave drive are fairly new...about a year or so I
    > would say. I am running XP Pro. The disk that is now the slave used
    > to be my only hard drive, but about a month ago I had the partition
    > where the OS was fail. So, I had to format that partition and start
    > over. When I did, I had an older 40 gig laying around that installed
    > XP Pro on and used that as the master and set the other one to the
    > slave. That way I figured I could keep all my data and just use the
    > old 40 for the OS. It is working out fine other than the boot
    > problem...more of a pain than anything I guess.
    >
    > I will try the cable select thing and see if that helps. Do you think
    > that there is a setting in the BIOS that may need changed???

    Is the hard drive with the working system on it at the head
    of the BIOS' hard drive boot sequence (i.e. boot "order" or
    boot "priority")? Can you see C:\ntldr and C:\boot.ini in its file
    structure? Is that partition marked "active"? (Rt-clk MyComputer,
    clk Manage, clk Disk Management to see the "(Active)" flag.)

    *TimDaniels*

    buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote

    > Maybe someone out there can help me with this boot issue.
    > I am running two hard drives in my pc. When I power on
    > the primary master is not found, but the slave is. Then
    > after the POST it gives me the NTLDR missing message.

    Thats normal because the master is missing.

    > When I ctrl/alt/del the primary master is found and it boots
    > normally...this happens every single time I power on. Any ideas???

    You can get that sort of effect if the master and
    slave dont like coexisting on the same ribbon cable.

    I'd first check that the master and slave are jumpered
    correctly, you can get effects like that if they arent.

    If they are jumpered correctly I'd try cable select instead
    of master/slave, with a cable select cable if its a reasonably
    modern system with an 80 wire ribbon cable.

    If that still doesnt help try having the two drives
    on different ribbon cables. That should eliminate a
    problem with the two drives not liking each other.

    You can see a situation where the master takes a
    while to spin up, but thats not usually seen anymore
    with modern drives, its more likely with older drives.

    Say a bit more about the basics of the PC, how old it is etc.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3j7t64Fok9naU1@individual.net
    > buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote
    >
    > > Maybe someone out there can help me with this boot issue.
    > > I am running two hard drives in my pc. When I power on
    > > the primary master is not found, but the slave is. Then
    > > after the POST it gives me the NTLDR missing message.
    >
    > Thats normal because the master is missing.

    No, that's not normal at all.

    > > When I ctrl/alt/del the primary master is found and it boots
    > > normally...this happens every single time I power on. Any ideas???
    >
    > You can get that sort of effect if the master and
    > slave dont like coexisting on the same ribbon cable.
    >
    > I'd first check that the master and slave are jumpered
    > correctly, you can get effects like that if they arent.
    >
    > If they are jumpered correctly I'd try cable select instead
    > of master/slave, with a cable select cable if its a reasonably
    > modern system with an 80 wire ribbon cable.
    >
    > If that still doesnt help try having the two drives
    > on different ribbon cables. That should eliminate a
    > problem with the two drives not liking each other.
    >
    > You can see a situation where the master takes a
    > while to spin up, but thats not usually seen anymore
    > with modern drives, its more likely with older drives.
    >
    > Say a bit more about the basics of the PC, how old it is etc.

    buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote:

    > The motherboard and slave drive are fairly new...about a year or so I
    > would say. I am running XP Pro. The disk that is now the slave used
    > to be my only hard drive, but about a month ago I had the partition
    > where the OS was fail. So, I had to format that partition and start
    > over. When I did, I had an older 40 gig laying around that installed
    > XP Pro on and used that as the master and set the other one to the
    > slave. That way I figured I could keep all my data and just use the
    > old 40 for the OS. It is working out fine other than the boot
    > problem...more of a pain than anything I guess.

    > I will try the cable select thing and see if that helps. Do you think
    > that there is a setting in the BIOS that may need changed???

    That 40G drive shouldnt be too slow to spinup,
    but its easy to try the bios setting to do a full
    memory check and see if it is a bit slow to spin up.

    Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
    > "buhite" wrote:
    >> The motherboard and slave drive are fairly new...about a year or so I
    >> would say. I am running XP Pro. The disk that is now the slave used
    >> to be my only hard drive, but about a month ago I had the partition
    >> where the OS was fail. So, I had to format that partition and start
    >> over. When I did, I had an older 40 gig laying around that installed
    >> XP Pro on and used that as the master and set the other one to the
    >> slave. That way I figured I could keep all my data and just use the
    >> old 40 for the OS. It is working out fine other than the boot
    >> problem...more of a pain than anything I guess.
    >>
    >> I will try the cable select thing and see if that helps. Do you
    >> think that there is a setting in the BIOS that may need changed???
    >

    > Is the hard drive with the working system on it at the head
    > of the BIOS' hard drive boot sequence (i.e. boot "order" or
    > boot "priority")? Can you see C:\ntldr and C:\boot.ini in its file
    > structure? Is that partition marked "active"? (Rt-clk MyComputer,
    > clk Manage, clk Disk Management to see the "(Active)" flag.)

    It wont be that because a ctrl/alt/del sees it fine.

    Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote

    >>> Maybe someone out there can help me with this boot issue.
    >>> I am running two hard drives in my pc. When I power on
    >>> the primary master is not found, but the slave is. Then
    >>> after the POST it gives me the NTLDR missing message.

    >> Thats normal because the master is missing.

    > No, that's not normal at all.

    Wrong. As always.

    >>> When I ctrl/alt/del the primary master is found and it boots
    >>> normally...this happens every single time I power on. Any ideas???
    >>
    >> You can get that sort of effect if the master and
    >> slave dont like coexisting on the same ribbon cable.
    >>
    >> I'd first check that the master and slave are jumpered
    >> correctly, you can get effects like that if they arent.
    >>
    >> If they are jumpered correctly I'd try cable select instead
    >> of master/slave, with a cable select cable if its a reasonably
    >> modern system with an 80 wire ribbon cable.
    >>
    >> If that still doesnt help try having the two drives
    >> on different ribbon cables. That should eliminate a
    >> problem with the two drives not liking each other.
    >>
    >> You can see a situation where the master takes a
    >> while to spin up, but thats not usually seen anymore
    >> with modern drives, its more likely with older drives.
    >>
    >> Say a bit more about the basics of the PC, how old it is etc.

    I moved the hard drive to the head of the BIOS boot order and still
    have the same problem.

    I do not see the C:\ntldr and C:\boot.ini. Is it possible that those
    files were not copied from the windows cd when I did the install? Can
    I just copy those files without reinstalling windows?

    Thanks to all who have replied!

    You won't see those two files until you set folder options in explorer
    to show hidden files and also to show protected system files.

    Irwin

    I have it set to view hidden files and even did a search using
    *boot*.ini and it still did not return any results. It is possible
    that those files are missing from the drive. If they were not there
    somewhere, would it still boot normaly when I hit ctrl/alt/del as it
    does now?

    You installed Windows on a system with two disks.
    The OS was installed to the drive you specified, but ntldr was on the other.

    "buhite" <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote in message
    > I have it set to view hidden files and even did a search using
    > *boot*.ini and it still did not return any results. It is possible
    > that those files are missing from the drive. If they were not there
    > somewhere, would it still boot normaly when I hit ctrl/alt/del as it
    > does now?

    View hidden files is not good enough. You have to go back into folder
    properties and a few lines below the hidden files thing is another
    setting for hiding protected system files. You need to uncheck that.
    The files have to be there, the OS won't work without them. You also
    need to be careful, because if you do something wrong with these your
    system will no longer boot.

    Irwin

    buhite wrote:
    > I have it set to view hidden files and even did a search using
    > *boot*.ini and it still did not return any results. It is possible
    > that those files are missing from the drive. If they were not there
    > somewhere, would it still boot normaly when I hit ctrl/alt/del as it
    > does now?

    Check Disk Managment.
    If you see System and Boot partitions, then system holds ntldr.

    "buhite" wrote:
    >I have it set to view hidden files and even did a search using
    > *boot*.ini and it still did not return any results. It is possible
    > that those files are missing from the drive. If they were not there
    > somewhere, would it still boot normaly when I hit ctrl/alt/del as it
    > does now?

    Are both partitions "primary" partitions? If one is a logical
    partition, it wouldn't be self bootable and wouldn't have ntldr,
    but it could be specified and booted from the ntldr/boot.ini in
    the other (primary) partition. Check Disk Management - the
    primary partitions have a blue band at the top in the graphic
    display.

    *TimDaniels*

    Here is what I now have. I unplugged the primary slave drive to see if
    it is simply that the two drives dont like each other. I powered up
    and it booted fine with no problems.

    However, when I plugged the slave back in and powered up again the disk
    is now not showing under "My Computer". It finds it in the POST and it
    shows in the device mangager, but device manager says that it is
    unreadable. Is there any way to easily recover all the data on that
    drive???

    Try disconnecting and reconnecting, make sure there are no broken or
    bent pins, make sure the connections are good, all that kinda stuff.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Tried that, still no go. Can some tell me why it shows up in the POST,
    but is not showing up with the other hd in "my computer"???

    I believe that the data is still there, I just need a way to get it.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    A sad but interesting example of "if it ain't (really) broken, don't
    screw with it".

    You said the data was OK originally, so I don't know why simply
    disconnecting then reconnecting a drive would render the data bad,
    unless you shocked the thing or dropped it or bounced the heads around
    or broke a pin or broke the cable. Try a different cable maybe. I don't
    know why the data would have been corrupted by disconnecting and
    reconnecting other than something physical.

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Tried that, still no go. Can some tell me why it shows up in the
    > > POST, but is not showing up with the other hd in "my computer"???
    >
    > Thats normally because XP will refuse to mount a drive that
    > it decides has a problem with corrupted data structures.
    >
    > > I believe that the data is still there, I just need a way to get it.
    >
    > I like Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    buhite <buhite@mail2teacher.com> wrote:

    > Tried that, still no go. Can some tell me why it shows up in the
    > POST, but is not showing up with the other hd in "my computer"???

    Thats normally because XP will refuse to mount a drive that
    it decides has a problem with corrupted data structures.

    > I believe that the data is still there, I just need a way to get it.

    I like Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

Storage