DVD Writer and PCI Controller Problems?

I recently hooked my NEC 2500a DVD writer up to a promise ultra66 pci
controller and I've had nothing but problems with it. DVD Decrypter hangs on
"getting book type" when ever I select the NEC (but works fine with my other
2 optical drives). Also when I try to burn with the drive using Nero it has
buffer underun issues if I select any speed over 2.4x.but the weird thing is
when I do a transfer rate test using a data DVD and Nero tool kit the drive
is able to read at up to 8x. I've tried everything I can think of, I've
updated both the bios and the drivers of the controller card, I've even
installed Adaptec winaspi but nothing seems to make a difference. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

my sys:
Athlon 64 3000+
MSI neo 2 plat.
1GB Ram
Winxp Sp2

Judging by some of the prior threads, PCI controllers don't like
optical drives, only hard drives. I didn't know that but there seems to
be general agreement. Check the manual carefully for confirmation.

Irwin

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120834991.569892.64150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
> Judging by some of the prior threads, PCI controllers don't like
> optical drives, only hard drives.

Nope, some do just fine.
Some don't have the necessary ATAPI command support in their drivers.
And some drivers apparently are just broken.

> I didn't know that but there seems to be general agreement.

There always will be parrots.