Western Digital Passport question

Anyone know how to take a Western Digital Passport 2.5 portable drive
case apart? It's not very obvious to me, and I'm fairly clever. But the
folks at WD are more clever. An explanation or link to a take apart
would be appreciated.

Just to be clear, i do not want to take the hard drive apart, just the
USB portable case that houses it.

Thanks,

RG
5 answers Last reply
More about western digital passport question

    Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com> wrote:

    > Anyone know how to take a Western Digital Passport 2.5
    > portable drive case apart? It's not very obvious to me, and
    > I'm fairly clever. But the folks at WD are more clever. An
    > explanation or link to a take apart would be appreciated.

    Its gotta have screws under the feet or internal invisible catches.

    > Just to be clear, i do not want to take the hard drive
    > apart, just the USB portable case that houses it.

    Just as well or we'd have to report you to the RSPCPPHDBTFW.

    In article <3j8nloFophe4U1@individual.net>,
    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Just as well or we'd have to report you to the RSPCPPHDBTFW.

    That made me laugh. The only reason I clarified is because on another
    group, someone thought I wanted to crack the hard drive open. Now that
    would be foolish.

    Anyway, there are no removable feet, and no other catches or screws I
    can determine. It's like one of those Chinese (or should I say
    Taiwanese) puzzle boxes. I'll keep looking.

    RG

    Previously Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com> wrote:
    > In article <3j8nloFophe4U1@individual.net>,
    > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> Just as well or we'd have to report you to the RSPCPPHDBTFW.

    > That made me laugh. The only reason I clarified is because on another
    > group, someone thought I wanted to crack the hard drive open. Now that
    > would be foolish.

    > Anyway, there are no removable feet, and no other catches or screws I
    > can determine. It's like one of those Chinese (or should I say
    > Taiwanese) puzzle boxes. I'll keep looking.

    Usually internal plastic catches that "snap-in". Tricky to open
    and allmost allways leaves visible damage. Good luck!

    Arno

    Richard Gecko <geck@nomac.com> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Just to be clear, i do not want to take the hard drive
    >>> apart, just the USB portable case that houses it.

    >> Just as well or we'd have to report you to the RSPCPPHDBTFW.

    > That made me laugh.

    Good, it was meant to.

    > The only reason I clarified is because on another group, someone thought
    > I wanted to crack the hard drive open. Now that would be foolish.

    Yeah, that was obvious, I just couldnt resist.

    > Anyway, there are no removable feet, and no other catches
    > or screws I can determine. It's like one of those Chinese
    > (or should I say Taiwanese) puzzle boxes.

    Those always have hidden internal catches unless they are glued
    closed and that doesnt happen with hard drive external cases.

    > I'll keep looking.

    I run a fingernail down the obvious join between the halves.

    A fingernail, not a metal blade etc, so you dont damage the plastic.
  5. A strong thumbnail pushed into the line between the top and the bottom... as you squeeze the enclosure with your other hand WILL begin to crack the case without leaving damage.

    There are no screws; I have external drives by WD (both new 'wedge sided' and newer 'book style'), Toshiba (aluminium case) and Seagate and they ALL snap together.

Western Digital Cases Storage