Seeing the IDE-raid drive

As I have mentioned before, I have a regular IDE hard drive on an
IDE-raid connector on my new motherboard. It can not be seen by Windows
without a special driver. On the other hand, it can be seen by the
Maxblast 4 CD and the Ghost 2003 CD. Anyone know why? More
specifically, what is it those two CDs use to see the drive? I don't
see a driver for the motherboard or the connector being installed, so
how do they see the drive?

Thank you.

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As I have mentioned before, I have a regular IDE hard drive on an
> IDE-raid connector on my new motherboard. It can not be seen by Windows
> without a special driver. On the other hand, it can be seen by the
> Maxblast 4 CD and the Ghost 2003 CD. Anyone know why? More
> specifically, what is it those two CDs use to see the drive? I don't
> see a driver for the motherboard or the connector being installed, so
> how do they see the drive?

The various drivers handle PCI IDE configuration differently.

Use Everest Home ed to look at the PCI Device details.
A typical IDE controller looks like this:

Device Description Intel 82801BA ICH2 - ATA-100 IDE Controller [B-0]
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 0 / 31 / 1
Device ID 8086-244B
Subsystem ID 8086-2442
Device Class 0101 (IDE Controller)
Revision 01
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported

SCSI/RAID would be Device Class 0100, and requires unique drivers.
There should be a BIOS setting to change this to IDE - 0101.

Thank you, Eric. I was not familiar with Everest Home but I found the
website with the free download. Sadly, I don't have the technical
expertise to understand the information that you sent and likely won't
understand what Everest gives me. For instance, I do not see the
connection between the information below and how that gets to my goals,
which include:

1) How to access my ITE IDE-RAID drive from DOS.
2) Understand why certain DOS based utilities such as Ghost 2003 and
Maxblast 4 can access the drive but Windows (without specific drivers)
cannot.
3) Move my OS off the drive on the standard IDE port to the drive on
the IDE-RAID port.

Thanks for any insight, answers, or links you can provide.

IMF

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120922068.543903.40840@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Thank you, Eric. I was not familiar with Everest Home but I found the
> website with the free download. Sadly, I don't have the technical
> expertise to understand the information that you sent and likely won't
> understand what Everest gives me. For instance, I do not see the
> connection between the information below and how that gets to my goals,
> which include:
>
> 1) How to access my ITE IDE-RAID drive from DOS.

Just do. Set it up for single drive use.

> 2) Understand why certain DOS based utilities such as Ghost 2003 and
> Maxblast 4 can access the drive

There shouldn't be any problem with that.
The ITE raid card surely has bios support.

> but Windows (without specific drivers) cannot.

Because it's Windows, obviously. Windows uses drivers.
In what cave have you been living?

The exception is Win9x that can run a device in compatibility
mode where access is through the BIOS.

> 3) Move my OS off the drive on the standard IDE port to the drive on
> the IDE-RAID port.

And what will that accomplish?

> Thanks for any insight, answers, or links you can provide.
>
> IMF
>
> Eric Gisin wrote:
> > "Irwin" ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120903793.157849.136320@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > > As I have mentioned before, I have a regular IDE hard drive on an
> > > IDE-raid connector on my new motherboard.

> > > It can not be seen by Windows without a special driver.

Gee, that's weird, given that windows relies on drivers to function at all.

> > > On the other hand, it can be seen by the
> > > Maxblast 4 CD and the Ghost 2003 CD. Anyone know why? More
> > > specifically, what is it those two CDs use to see the drive? I don't
> > > see a driver for the motherboard or the connector being installed, so
> > > how do they see the drive?
> > >
> > The various drivers handle PCI IDE configuration differently.

But the common is that a driver *is* needed, whether generic or chip specific.

> > Use Everest Home ed to look at the PCI Device details.
> > A typical IDE controller looks like this:
> >
> > Device Description Intel 82801BA ICH2 - ATA-100 IDE Controller [B-0]
> > Bus Type PCI
> > Bus / Device / Function 0 / 31 / 1
> > Device ID 8086-244B
> > Subsystem ID 8086-2442
> > Device Class 0101 (IDE Controller)
> > Revision 01
> > Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported
> >
> > SCSI/RAID would be Device Class 0100, and requires unique drivers.
> > There should be a BIOS setting to change this to IDE - 0101.

Moving my OS off the drive .... what will that accomplish?

My goal was to have the hard drive in the hard drive cage, where the
fans can blow on it and keep it cool and functional. At the time the
hard drive was up high in the CD cage, where there is no fan and it is
hot. Why is it there? Because I didn't know about the F6 and the
Motherboard driver thing, and four calls to ASUS and a few google
searches on the wrong keywords failed to get that information, and
Windows setup would not see the hard drive on the IDE-RAID port (not a
separate card, so no card BIOS), so the only way to make it work was to
put the CD drive and the hard drive on the same ribbon on the primary
IDE controller (this ASUS Mobo only has one plain IDE controller) up in
the CD cage. This particular machine doesn't have a floppy drive, so at
that time I couldn't have done the F6 until I found a floppy drive.

Anyhow, with that configuration we did get windows to work and
installed the windows Mobo driver after the fact. Then, despite a prior
post stating an issue with corruption, we backed up the hard drive to
DVD and then just took it off the primary IDE and connected it to the
IDE-RAID connector, and everything seems to work. Finally! The prior
post mentioned that the corruption was intermittent, so I guess time
will tell.

Yeah, in retrospect it shouldn't have been this hard, but I am posting
this so that others who follow with the same exact problems, and there
will be many I am sure, will benefit from my experience, stupid or not.

I want to spend a little bit more time with this so I can understand
better, so flame away, I don't care. I guess what you are saying is
that:

1) Windows in regular mode uses BIOS only to get started, then stops
using the BIOS and uses drivers instead to access peripheral devices.
2) Windows 98 in compatibility mode will still use BIOS to access
peripherals.
3) DOS will use BIOS access if it is available, but if not will require
drivers.

Is that right?