Formatting Tag Bugs Galore

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I've found a number of bugs in recursive tags. It seems that if you use a color tag to color text, then use other tags, the text reverts back to black instead of staying colored. The color tag also seems to kill any size set by a size tag. (That's definately not a 24 pt font we're seeing.) Also you can't put a size tag within a size tag. There are probably plenty of other problems too. But suffice it to say that complex formatting is very much not possible right now.

Here's an example:
[code:1:27146bb97e]
Mew Mew style, Mew Mew grace,
Mew Mew power, in your face!

[/code:1:27146bb97e]

Mew Mew style, Mew Mew grace,
Mew Mew power, in your face!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This example seems to indicate that the problem may mostly just be in the addition of color and size tags to the system. The standard b, i, u tags seem to work amongst themselves.

[code:1:403fbd97c8]
Yet another recursive tag test.
[/code:1:403fbd97c8]

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
This example seems to indicate that the problem may mostly just be in the addition of color and size tags to the system. The standard b, i, u tags seem to work amongst themselves.

[code:1:85fdbb0cb5]
[/code:1:85fdbb0cb5]

Thanks, slvr. I guess a bit of lower priority.. I have to see if the problem is in the base phpbb code as well... but you 2nd message helps diagnosing it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, slvr. I guess a bit of lower priority.. I have to see if the problem is in the base phpbb code as well... but you 2nd message helps diagnosing it.
No prob. I'm a software engineer by day, so sometimes I just can't stop myself from trying to diagnose stuff. It drives my wife nuts some times. :mrgreen:

And yeah, I can't see this being too high of a priority. Heck, I wouldn't have even realized it if I hadn't tried to do crazy stuff with my autosig, so it's no surprise to me that it's been hiding. It'd be nice to be working one day, but the world won't exactly be crashing down anytime soon from it. Just something to look into when the big things are taken care of. ;)

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Great. Being a s/w engineer, you understand the matter of s/w bug prioritization, which is great :wink:

FYI, anyone can look at my current work plan (sticky). Not resting, but have to vanquish bugs one at a time :lol:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Testing is for the weak!

Don't tell that to our closed beta testers and new beta testers (you included). Discovering bugs is a skill not shared by all programmers. I have renewed respect for top notch testers.

But if one has programming skills, then that is probably what that person would rather do most.

[edit be steve: oops who did I post for you? I need to check into that :evil: ]

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Testing is for the weak!

Don't tell that to our closed beta testers and new beta testers (you included). Discovering bugs is a skill not shared by all programmers. I have renewed respect for top notch testers.

But if one has programming skills, then that is probably what that person would rather do most.

[edit be steve: oops who did I post for you? I need to check into that :evil: ]

I am testing here.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I've managed to calm down. And in the process I noticed something else about the color tag.

If you look closely, this text is bigger than this text is.

To me it looks like the color tag doesn't even preserve the existing font information, but instead starts over from scratch. So maybe the b,i,u tags don't hold their color because the color tag is creating its own font variable instead of using a pointer to the existing font? (Or something like that?) This would also explain why the size tag doesn't change anything within colored text, because, again, the colored text is using a seperate new variable and the size tag is changing the size of the existing font variable.