My Wit's End with Wireless (Gateway M1300 Tablet PC and Li..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:

Folks,

I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
wireless router.

The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.

The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).

This is so aggravating.

The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to get
the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience
an unreliable wireless network connection.

I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and the
4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently. Just
went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers. Driver is
now listed as:

w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002

I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.

In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should be
looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones, but
these never interfered previously. I have tried several different channels
on the WAP, all behave the same way.

Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
makes the Tablet PC almost useless.

Thanks,
David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Are you running WPA encryption on the router? If not, go into Network
Connections, right-click the icon representing your wireless LAN connection
and select Properties.

Go to the Wireless Networks tab, then highlight your LAN's name in the
Preferred networks box at the bottom and tap the Properties button at the
lower-right.

Go to the Authentication tab and remove the check mark from Enable IEEE
802.1x authentication for this network.

OK your way out.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>
> Folks,
>
> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
> wireless router.
>
> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>
> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
> taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
> looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
> will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
> mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
> automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>
> This is so aggravating.
>
> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
> thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
> for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to
> get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to
> experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>
> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
> Driver is now listed as:
>
> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>
> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>
> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones,
> but these never interfered previously. I have tried several different
> channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>
> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
> makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Chris - thanks for the advice.

However, 802.1x authentication is not checked, nor has it been. That is one
config parameter I've known about.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you running WPA encryption on the router? If not, go into Network
> Connections, right-click the icon representing your wireless LAN
> connection and select Properties.
>
> Go to the Wireless Networks tab, then highlight your LAN's name in the
> Preferred networks box at the bottom and tap the Properties button at the
> lower-right.
>
> Go to the Authentication tab and remove the check mark from Enable IEEE
> 802.1x authentication for this network.
>
> OK your way out.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
>> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys
>> WRT54G wireless router.
>>
>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>
>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally,
>> I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to
>> mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>>
>> This is so aggravating.
>>
>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>
>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>> Driver is now listed as:
>>
>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>
>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>
>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>
>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my wireless
network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred Networks).

"David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>
> Folks,
>
> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
> wireless router.
>
> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>
> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
> taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
> looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
> will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
> mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
> automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>
> This is so aggravating.
>
> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
> thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
> for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to
> get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to
> experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>
> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
> Driver is now listed as:
>
> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>
> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>
> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones,
> but these never interfered previously. I have tried several different
> channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>
> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
> makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page to
"Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows XP
built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control Panel/Administrative
Tools/Services?
--

> Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
> interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
> wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
> Networks).
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
>> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys
>> WRT54G wireless router.
>>
>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>
>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally,
>> I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to
>> mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>>
>> This is so aggravating.
>>
>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>
>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>> Driver is now listed as:
>>
>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>
>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>
>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>
>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...

> [...]

> experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>
> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
> Driver is now listed as:
>
> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>
> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>
> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones,
> but these never interfered previously. I have tried several different
> channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>
> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection

I had that problem and it finally narrowed down to that when one particular
computer was on and accessing the network, everything else wireless would
get erratic, to the point where I'd have to re-set the router. Got rid of
that particular wireless card and everything's fine again.

>I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and
>> a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>>
>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>
>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop
>> and the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At
>> that point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The
>> available networks box will show mine, along with a couple of
>> neighbors. Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect.
>> Sometimes it will reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then
>> drops it, then reconnects to it).
>>
>> This is so aggravating.
>>
>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4
>> which I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been
>> working flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to
>> installing SP2) it started to get the drops. Replaced the router,
>> upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience an unreliable wireless
>> network connection.
>>
>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers
>> and the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same -
>> inconsistently. Just went back to Gateways site and installed their
>> wireless drivers. Driver is now listed as:
>>
>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>
>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>
>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I
>> should be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz
>> cordless phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried
>> several different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>
>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David

Broadcast SSID if not already.

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

how about trying another channel where you cannot find other networks.
interference between everyone seem s a prime suspect here.
mike

> [...]
> >>
> >> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
> >> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same -
inconsistently.
> >> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
> >> Driver is now listed as:
> >>
> >> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
> >> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
> >> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
> >>
> >> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
> >>
> >> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I
should
> >> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
> >> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
> >> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
> >>
> >> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
> >> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.

---

On 9/5/2004 10:20:21 AM, "David Lipetz" wrote:
>Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>
>Folks,
>
>I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
>between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
>wireless router.
>
>The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>
>The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
>taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
>looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
>will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
>mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
>automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>
>This is so aggravating.
>
>The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
>thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
>for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to get
>the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience
>an unreliable wireless network connection.
>
>I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and the
>4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently. Just
>went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers. Driver is
>now listed as:
>
>w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>
>I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>
>In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should be
>looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones, but
>these never interfered previously. I have tried several different channels
>on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>
>Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
>makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>
>Thanks,
>David

On top of the other advice, here's a few you can try. I had similar problems
with a Linksys A/B unit. They had me try the following - may or may not have
these options present on your model:

Lower RTS threshold
Lower Fragmentation length
disable turbo mode
try different preamble type (if it's at long, try short, and vice versa)

I eventually got mine to work better with the first two options. It never was
flawless though... I had better luck with my Dlink when I got my new tablet
that had 802.11G rather than the A/B my old one had. But that dlink has
problems with the wan link, so I'm still dealing with resetting it all the
time...

--
John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.

Neither helps.

In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.

So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
some combination of all of the above.

I truly believe it is software related...

Struggling for the truth.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
> to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows
> XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
>> interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
>> wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
>> Networks).
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
>>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
>>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
>>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
>>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
>>> reconnects to it).
>>>
>>> This is so aggravating.
>>>
>>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>>
>>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>>> Driver is now listed as:
>>>
>>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>>
>>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>>
>>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>>
>>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
http://www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp
--

> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>
> Neither helps.
>
> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>
> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
> some combination of all of the above.
>
> I truly believe it is software related...
>
> Struggling for the truth.
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
>> to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the
>> Windows XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
>> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Tried, and continuing to try, various channels.

"mike" <mike@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> how about trying another channel where you cannot find other networks.
> interference between everyone seem s a prime suspect here.
> mike
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
>> "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows
>> XP
>> built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
> Panel/Administrative
>> Tools/Services?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
>> > interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
>> > wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
>> > Networks).
>> >

>> > "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> connection

> Generally,

> which
> it

> inconsistently.

> should

> ---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

SSID is being broadcast

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
>>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
>>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>>
>>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
>>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
>>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
>>> reconnects to it).
>>>
>>> This is so aggravating.
>>>
>>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>>
>>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>>> Driver is now listed as:
>>>
>>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>>
>>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>>
>>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>>
>>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David
>>>

> Broadcast SSID if not already.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

But this occurs with just one computer (the Table PC) on the network.

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
>> between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys
>> WRT54G wireless router.
>>
>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
>>
>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally,
>> I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to
>> mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
>>
>> This is so aggravating.
>>
>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
>>
>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
>> Driver is now listed as:
>>
>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
>> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
>>
>> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
>>
>> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
>> be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless
>> phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried several
>> different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
>>
>> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
>> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David
>>

> I had that problem and it finally narrowed down to that when one
> particular computer was on and accessing the network, everything else
> wireless would get erratic, to the point where I'd have to re-set the
> router. Got rid of that particular wireless card and everything's fine
> again.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Please provide specific settings for RTS and Fragmentation.

Thanks.

"JDThree [MVP]" <john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> have
> these options present on your model:
>
> Lower RTS threshold
> Lower Fragmentation length
> disable turbo mode
> try different preamble type (if it's at long, try short, and vice versa)
>
> I eventually got mine to work better with the first two options. It never
> was
> flawless though... I had better luck with my Dlink when I got my new
> tablet
> that had 802.11G rather than the A/B my old one had. But that dlink has
> problems with the wan link, so I'm still dealing with resetting it all the
> time...
>

> --
> John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

No bridges.

If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset 7.1.3
drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which the M1300
uses, is NOT supported.

I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed them
in a prior post in this thread.

> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
> Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
> Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
> http://www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>>
>> Neither helps.
>>
>> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
>> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>>
>> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
>> some combination of all of the above.
>>
>> I truly believe it is software related...
>>
>> Struggling for the truth.
>>
>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks
>>> page to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the
>>> Windows XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
>>> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Where did you read that? I've been running them since May, 2004, David, and
the "not supported" list doesn't mention the 2100 3B card at all. It does
mention the 2011 series and a couple 5000 series adapter.
--

> No bridges.
>
> If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset
> 7.1.3 drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which the
> M1300 uses, is NOT supported.
>
> I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed them
> in a prior post in this thread.
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
>> Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
>> Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
>> http://www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.
>>>
>>> Neither helps.
>>>
>>> In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
>>> 802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.
>>>
>>> So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
>>> some combination of all of the above.
>>>
>>> I truly believe it is software related...
>>>
>>> Struggling for the truth.
>>>
>>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

In the release notes file wireless.txt located in PROW7100/docs. Note that
the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter is NOT supported.

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapters Release Notes

June 14, 2004

Contents
========

- Products not covered in this document
- Viewing user documentation
- Correction to Transmission Power settings in on-line Help
- Upgrading drivers and utilities from previous versions
- Required service pack for Windows* 2000
- Required service pack for Windows XP
- Known limitations
- Customer support

The following adapters are not supported with this release:
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PC Card
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PC Card
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN USB Device
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN CardBus Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN PCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wirelsss 2200BG Network Connection

> Where did you read that? I've been running them since May, 2004, David,
> and the "not supported" list doesn't mention the 2100 3B card at all. It
> does mention the 2011 series and a couple 5000 series adapter.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> No bridges.
>>
>> If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset
>> 7.1.3 drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which
>> the M1300 uses, is NOT supported.
>>
>> I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed
>> them in a prior post in this thread.
>>

>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are
>>> in Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being
>>> bridged. Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver
>>> from here:
>>> http://www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "David Lipetz" <dlipetz@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

That is a different driver, David. Look for the file dated 5-21. It is the
one which supports your adapter.
--

> In the release notes file wireless.txt located in PROW7100/docs. Note that
> the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter is NOT supported.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I'm sorry, David. I forgot you have the Gateway rebranded model. I am
looking at the Motion Computing web site.