SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot bette..

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.
4 answers Last reply
More about sata native command cueing multi tasking alot bette

    "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message news:6090d11b370sud3vr5iene7dq2103elt5v@4ax.com
    > SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???
    >

    > I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs.

    It's not. It's one of the additions in SATA-II

    A SATA II drive doesn't necessarily be 3Gb/s.

    > Not to fussed about that as we
    > are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

    Actually we do with some SCSI drives which means the (S)ATA ones are on
    the way. With SATA's bigger overhead the transfer limits may be similar
    for ATA and SATA.

    > But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
    > computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

    Of course not.
    How on earth will delaying transfers make anything go smoother.

    > Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
    > to a halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.
    >
    > Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
    > sounds IDEAL.
    >
    > I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does now.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    Son Of Sheep. <sheep.com.au> wrote:

    > SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???
    >
    > I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
    > are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)
    >
    > But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
    > computer system. Will it make it much smoother.
    >
    > Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
    > toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

    Whoa. Stop. Something is wrong if you are running any current operating
    system and that is happening. I don't experience that even on the dog-slow
    4200 RPM drive on my laptop under XP. As I'm typing this I'm copying my
    whole Windows folder to a temp file and at the same time watching an HDTV
    recording (not recorded on the same drive--the HD is on a server).

    First thing to check is to make sure that DMA is turned on on all
    drives--for XP the procedure is described at
    <http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx>. Next, once
    DMA is on, make sure you have enough RAM. Right click on the taskbar and
    pick "task manager", then "performance" and watch the "Commit charge". If
    it's more than the "Physical memory" while you're doing your normal stuff
    then you need more RAM in the machine. If you've got the RAM maxed and
    you're still paging heavily then put in a separate disk specfically for the
    swapfile--if that is the case though then you really need a 64-bit machine
    that can hold a serious amount of RAM (not all 64-bit motherboards allow
    more RAM than do 32-bit, even though the processors can handle vastly more,
    so make sure you get one that can).

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Son Of Sheep. <sheep.com.au> wrote

    > SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

    Nope, you wouldnt be able to pick it in a proper
    double blind trial without using a benchmark.

    > I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about
    > that as we are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)

    > But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness
    > of your computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

    Nope. Command queing isnt even that useful with normal desktop systems.

    > Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system
    > grind toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

    Command queing wont help with that situation at all.

    Its much better to organise your system so you dont need to copy files.
    A single partition and one physical drive eliminates the need to copy files.

    > Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system.
    > An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver sounds IDEAL.

    > I never want to see an Hour glass or
    > my system slow down like it does now.

    The best approach is a single large physical drive with just
    one partition so you dont need to copy files around at all.

    "Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

    > SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???
    >
    > I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs.

    That's the peak burst rate of the interface and has little to do with the
    speed of the drive itself.

    > Not to fussed about that as we
    > are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet :)
    >
    > But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
    > computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

    Nope, it'll only contribute significantly to performance in saturated
    server I/O.

    > Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
    > toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

    Same with NCQ.

    > Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
    > sounds IDEAL.
    >
    > I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
    > now.

SATA Command Prompt Storage