Asus ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 directX issue

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

After installing the new drivers from windows update for my video card videos
began to freeze and games also would freeze. I was able to fix this by going
into troubleshooting and disabling the DirectX stuff. I have SP2 and
directX9c. I tried rolling back the display driver but that caused even more
trouble, it would only allow for very low resolution. Has anyone had a
similar problem?

Adjusting anything with direct x is a mistake...Also,the 9600 as with all ATI
hardware one needs the drivers and software from the ATI web site,those
will require direct x to install.

"Jared" wrote:

> After installing the new drivers from windows update for my video card videos
> began to freeze and games also would freeze. I was able to fix this by going
> into troubleshooting and disabling the DirectX stuff. I have SP2 and
> directX9c. I tried rolling back the display driver but that caused even more
> trouble, it would only allow for very low resolution. Has anyone had a
> similar problem?

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Adjusting anything with direct x is a mistake...Also,the 9600 as with all ATI
> hardware one needs the drivers and software from the ATI web site,those
> will require direct x to install.
>
> "Jared" wrote:
>
> > After installing the new drivers from windows update for my video card videos
> > began to freeze and games also would freeze. I was able to fix this by going
> > into troubleshooting and disabling the DirectX stuff. I have SP2 and
> > directX9c. I tried rolling back the display driver but that caused even more
> > trouble, it would only allow for very low resolution. Has anyone had a
> > similar problem?

All the adjustment made was sliding the hardware acceleration slider down
until I could get videos and games to work again. This happened to be where
it disabled DirectDraw and Direct3D. The latest drivers available from the
ATI website as the same drivers as I have installed currently (6.14.10.6483)
and are the same ones which I obtained from the Windows Update site. Should I
try downloading these drivers again from the ATI website and reinstalling or
will that cause more trouble?