Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

need 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD recommendation for laptop - p..

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 12, 2005 11:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2005 11:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Adam wrote:
> The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?

www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 2:18:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

>The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
>my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
>It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
>a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
>
There aren't any good ones that are 4200rpm, they are all dogs. Just
got a 40GB Toshiba 5400 refurb at newegg for $50. The difference over
4200 is like night and day.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 3:32:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?

A current Fujitsu drive? The Fujitsu notebook HDDs are good
drives IMO. I had one in my last Notebook (no problem) and
I havbe a 5400rpm one in my current notebook. No problems.

Arno
July 13, 2005 3:38:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.

Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.

Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.

Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi


"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:-9adnePfuLxlrEnfRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> Adam wrote:
> > The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> > my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> > It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> > a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
>
> www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com
>
> Q
>
July 13, 2005 4:37:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the current Fujitsu HDD.
I've had it since 2000 without a problem.
Maybe I'll get the same model just to be sure that
it's compatible with my system.


"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3jj28cFpsrf8U2@individual.net...
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
> > The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> > my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> > It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> > a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
>
> A current Fujitsu drive? The Fujitsu notebook HDDs are good
> drives IMO. I had one in my last Notebook (no problem) and
> I havbe a 5400rpm one in my current notebook. No problems.
>
> Arno
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 5:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.

> Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
> And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.

ATA is downwards compatible, so that is not an issue.

> Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
> Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi

Ever since the "Deathstars" I don't trust IBM/Hitachi. Unfounded
in the case of notebook HDDs, I know. However from direct comparison
I think thet Fujitsus run quieter.

Arno
July 13, 2005 5:26:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

> > And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
>
> ATA is downwards compatible, so that is not an issue.

Great! That's what I was hoping to confirm.
Two other limitations that I would like to confirm are the following:

1) 20 GB - will going with a larger HDD cause problems for my system?
2) 4200 RPM - will going with a higher RPM cause problems for my system?

Also, what about form factor?


"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3jj8bmFq45rkU1@individual.net...
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
>
> > Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
> > And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
>
> ATA is downwards compatible, so that is not an issue.
>
> > Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
> > Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi
>
> Ever since the "Deathstars" I don't trust IBM/Hitachi. Unfounded
> in the case of notebook HDDs, I know. However from direct comparison
> I think thet Fujitsus run quieter.
>
> Arno
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 12:38:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

>Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
>
>Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
>And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
>
>Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
>
>Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi


Fujitsu but those other things you're worried about won't matter. Have
upgraded a dozen notebooks from 4GB to 60GB with no/little trouble.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 1:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Adam wrote:

>
> Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
>
> Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
> And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.

If, at this point, you want an ATA-5 disk of any kind then you're probably
going to have to get it off of ebay. They haven't been manufactured in a
very long time. Very few systems that support ATA-5 will have trouble with
an ATA-6 disk, they just run it in ATA-5 mode. The standard requires
backward compatibility.

Note by the way that newegg has user comments about products--if there's a
lot of complaining about a particular product it's probably a good idea to
go with something else.

> Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.

That would be surprising--the first barrier normally encountered is 8 gig,
after that 32, then 128. But even if the system won't support the full
capacity of the drive, it normally will recognize it as a smaller drive and
use it as such.

> Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi

This is to a substantial extent a religious issue. Both have produced
excellent drives. Both have produced really bad drives. Even if you
choose a drive with an excellent reputation, that doesn't mean that the
particular drive you get won't be a lemon. You might also want to consider
Seagate and Toshiba.

> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:-9adnePfuLxlrEnfRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>> Adam wrote:
>> > The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
>> > my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
>> > It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
>> > a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
>>
>> www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com
>>
>> Q
>>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 13, 2005 7:56:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Thanks for all the expert comments from everyone.

I guess it should be safe and wise to look for
an ATA-6 2.5" x 9.5mm 5400 RPM HDD with 40-60 GB from
Fujitsu / Seagate / Toshiba.

Which is better?
Seagate Momentus ST94811A vs. Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH
[Both are ATA-6 5400 RPM 40 GB]


"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:L4_Ae.1020$Rv7.840@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
> > > And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
> >
> > ATA is downwards compatible, so that is not an issue.
>
> Great! That's what I was hoping to confirm.
> Two other limitations that I would like to confirm are the following:
>
> 1) 20 GB - will going with a larger HDD cause problems for my system?
> 2) 4200 RPM - will going with a higher RPM cause problems for my system?
>
> Also, what about form factor?
>
>
> "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3jj8bmFq45rkU1@individual.net...
> > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
> >
> > > Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
> > > And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
> >
> > ATA is downwards compatible, so that is not an issue.
> >
> > > Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
> > > Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi
> >
> > Ever since the "Deathstars" I don't trust IBM/Hitachi. Unfounded
> > in the case of notebook HDDs, I know. However from direct comparison
> > I think thet Fujitsus run quieter.
> >
> > Arno
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 3:32:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> writes:
> The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?

I've been buying Toshiba 4200rpm drives from zipzoomfly.com. The
recent models all use FDB motors which are very quiet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 3:33:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> writes:
> Two other limitations that I would like to confirm are the following:
>
> 1) 20 GB - will going with a larger HDD cause problems for my system?

No.

> 2) 4200 RPM - will going with a higher RPM cause problems for my system?

Check that the power consumption is the same or lower.

> Also, what about form factor?

Stay with the same form factor.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 2:16:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Hello,

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
news:hiVAe.910$Rv7.267@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
> The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
>

I recommend Samsung Spinpoint M Series
(in your case 30 GB: MP0302H or maybe 40 GB)
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm

Prices:
http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...


Here is detailed review of 40 GB version:
http://silentpcreview.com/article207-page1.html

Prices:
http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...


Regards, Roman
July 14, 2005 11:29:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Thanks for the good info and recommendation.

After reading the article, I guess it's
Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH vs. Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H now.
[Both are ATA-6 5400 RPM 40 GB]
Which one would you pick?


"roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:#ihNgxEiFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:hiVAe.910$Rv7.267@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> > The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> > my Dell Latitude CPX laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> > It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> > a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
> >
>
> I recommend Samsung Spinpoint M Series
> (in your case 30 GB: MP0302H or maybe 40 GB)
> http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
>
> Prices:
> http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...
>
>
> Here is detailed review of 40 GB version:
> http://silentpcreview.com/article207-page1.html
>
> Prices:
> http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...
>
>
> Regards, Roman
>
July 15, 2005 2:38:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Anyone know how the power consumption of
these notebook drives compare to the Fujitsu 4200 RPM MHK2120AT?


"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:w2zBe.2643$_%4.889@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> Thanks for the good info and recommendation.
>
> After reading the article, I guess it's
> Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH vs. Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H now.
> [Both are ATA-6 5400 RPM 40 GB]
> Which one would you pick?
>
>
> "roman modic" <modicr@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:#ihNgxEiFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hello,
> >
> > "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> > news:hiVAe.910$Rv7.267@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> > >
> > > The 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM Fujitsu HDD (model MHK2120AT) in
> > > my Dell Latitude CPx laptop gets noisy sometimes and makes me nervous.
> > > It's about time to replace it before it dies. Any recommendations of
> > > a good yet reasonably priced 2.5" ATA-5 4200 RPM HDD?
> > >
> >
> > I recommend Samsung Spinpoint M Series
> > (in your case 30 GB: MP0302H or maybe 40 GB)
> > http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
> >
> > Prices:
> > http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...
> >
> >
> > Here is detailed review of 40 GB version:
> > http://silentpcreview.com/article207-page1.html
> >
> > Prices:
> > http://silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.p...
> >
> >
> > Regards, Roman
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 2:38:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

They are all about 2.4W when active, 4200 or 5400.

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message news:1QBBe.2301$Rv7.111@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
> Anyone know how the power consumption of
> these notebook drives compare to the Fujitsu 4200 RPM MHK2120AT?
>
July 15, 2005 6:20:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Uhm, power, heat, BTUs (?) ... I'm not too familiar here.

- Fujitsu Mobile MHK2120AT [currently installed - http://tinyurl.com/9aw9x]
[power requirement (read/write): 2.3 W
ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]
- Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH [http://tinyurl.com/dx87w]
[power requirement (read/write): 2.3 W
ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]
- Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H [http://tinyurl.com/cmc3n]
[power requirement (read/write): 2.4 W
ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]

If these are the correct values to examine,
then the Samsung consumes 0.1 W more power while operating.
If that does make a difference, then the Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH is
probably the best choice in my case. Anything else I should consider?


"David A.Lethe" <david@santools.com> wrote in message
news:fjebd1l8iejhoaac07jcegn1mrte2rnm12@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:38:52 -0400, Andrew J <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >>Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
> >>
> >>Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM HDDs.
> >>And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
> >>
> >>Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
> >>
> >>Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi
> >
> >
> >Fujitsu but those other things you're worried about won't matter. Have
> >upgraded a dozen notebooks from 4GB to 60GB with no/little trouble.
>
> Regardless of what disk you choose, you should factor in power & heat.
> Are any of the disks you looking at drawing more power or creating
> more BTUs than your current HD? If so, you shouldn't use it.
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 6:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:29:32 GMT, "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the good info and recommendation.
>
>After reading the article, I guess it's
>Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH vs. Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H now.
>[Both are ATA-6 5400 RPM 40 GB]
>Which one would you pick?

Seagate? Not sure about the othes, but Seagate has a 5 year warranty.
Important for a drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 1:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Hello,

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
news:w2zBe.2643$_%4.889@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> Thanks for the good info and recommendation.
>
> After reading the article, I guess it's
> Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH vs. Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H now.
> [Both are ATA-6 5400 RPM 40 GB]
> Which one would you pick?
>
>

IMHO both are great choices, but at the moment I would pick Samsung,
because they are new in mobile HDD market and they cannot afford
mistakes regarding reliability at the start:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/samsung-mp0402h/

Other factors are of course price, warranty and local support ...

Regards and good luck,
Roman
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 4:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general (More info?)

Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote

> Uhm, power, heat, BTUs (?) ... I'm not too familiar here.

> - Fujitsu Mobile MHK2120AT [currently installed -
> http://tinyurl.com/9aw9x] [power requirement (read/write): 2.3 W
> ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]
> - Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH [http://tinyurl.com/dx87w]
> [power requirement (read/write): 2.3 W
> ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]
> - Samsung Spinpoint MP0402H [http://tinyurl.com/cmc3n]
> [power requirement (read/write): 2.4 W
> ambient temp (operating): 5 to 55 degrees C]

> If these are the correct values to examine, then the
> Samsung consumes 0.1 W more power while operating.

Not really, the numbers arent that precise.

> If that does make a difference,

It doesnt.

> then the Fujitsu Mobile MHT2040AH is probably the best choice in my case.

Not for that reason.

> Anything else I should consider?

You shouldnt be considering that.


> David A.Lethe <david@santools.com> wrote
>> Andrew J <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote

>>>> Thanks but I was hoping for HDD recommendations, not places to buy.
>>>>
>>>> Anyways, www.newegg.com does not have ATA-5 2.5" x 9.5mm 4200 RPM
>>>> HDDs. And, I don't think my system supports ATA-6.
>>>>
>>>> Also, I think my system supports up to 20 GB HDDs.
>>>>
>>>> Which is better? Fujitsu vs. Hitachi
>>>
>>>
>>> Fujitsu but those other things you're worried about won't matter.
>>> Have upgraded a dozen notebooks from 4GB to 60GB with no/little
>>> trouble.
>>
>> Regardless of what disk you choose, you should factor in power &
>> heat. Are any of the disks you looking at drawing more power or
>> creating more BTUs than your current HD? If so, you shouldn't use it.
!