External Tape Drives?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello,

I was looking for some general advice.

I’m looking at getting an external tape drive to replace a tape drive
that has called it quits. I would get another internal, but we have a
multitude of servers, and it would be nice to be able to have the
external if another internal failed on us. We use DDS(2-4) right now,
and I think the best course of action would be to get a drive that is
compatible.

More or less, I’m looking for some input on who makes a reliable
drive. Is there anything I should stay away from or look at in
particular?

Any advice, direction would be extraordinarily helpful.

Thanks!
mmX

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-External-Tape-Drives-ftopict58814.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298000
5 answers Last reply
More about external tape drives
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Previously mmX <UseLinkToEmail@hardwareforumz.com> wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I was looking for some general advice.

    > I’m looking at getting an external tape drive to replace a tape drive
    > that has called it quits. I would get another internal, but we have a
    > multitude of servers, and it would be nice to be able to have the
    > external if another internal failed on us. We use DDS(2-4) right now,
    > and I think the best course of action would be to get a drive that is
    > compatible.

    > More or less, I’m looking for some input on who makes a reliable
    > drive. Is there anything I should stay away from or look at in
    > particular?

    > Any advice, direction would be extraordinarily helpful.

    First, most internal SCSI drives can be put into an external SCSI
    case so "external" is not a primary characteristic.

    Second, I think DAT is really the low end on tape storage. The drives
    die early, the tapes are not too reliable. You might want to get
    something more professional, but that is just my opinion.

    Arno
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >
    >First, most internal SCSI drives can be put into an external SCSI
    >case so "external" is not a primary characteristic.
    >
    >Arno

    Would it then be possible to take one of my tape drives out of another
    one of my servers and use it externally?
    Is there someplace I could go to learn what that would entail... I
    assume constructing some sort of shell for it, and buying different
    SCSI cables..?

    -mmX

    --
    Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-External-Tape-Drives-ftopict58814.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298235
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    mmX wrote:

    > "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >>
    >>First, most internal SCSI drives can be put into an external SCSI
    >>case so "external" is not a primary characteristic.
    >>
    >>Arno
    >
    > Would it then be possible to take one of my tape drives out of another
    > one of my servers and use it externally?
    > Is there someplace I could go to learn what that would entail... I
    > assume constructing some sort of shell for it, and buying different
    > SCSI cables..?

    Just froogle "SCSI Enclosure". Start at 6 bucks on ebay for an enclosure
    that used to contain a Compaq DLT drive. For $250 you can get an IBM-label
    19" rack-mount enclosure intended for tape drives.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > mmX wrote:
    >
    > > "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>First, most internal SCSI drives can be put into an external
    > SCSI
    > >>case so "external" is not a primary characteristic.
    > >>
    > >>Arno
    > >
    > > Would it then be possible to take one of my tape drives out
    > of another
    > > one of my servers and use it externally?
    > > Is there someplace I could go to learn what that would
    > entail... I
    > > assume constructing some sort of shell for it, and buying
    > different
    > > SCSI cables..?
    >
    > Just froogle "SCSI Enclosure". Start at 6 bucks on ebay for
    > an enclosure
    > that used to contain a Compaq DLT drive. For $250 you can get
    > an IBM-label
    > 19" rack-mount enclosure intended for tape drives.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Thanks!

    I appreciate the input!

    --
    Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-External-Tape-Drives-ftopict58814.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298289
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Previously mmX <UseLinkToEmail@hardwareforumz.com> wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote:
    >>
    >>First, most internal SCSI drives can be put into an external SCSI
    >>case so "external" is not a primary characteristic.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > Would it then be possible to take one of my tape drives out of another
    > one of my servers and use it externally?

    Should be.

    > Is there someplace I could go to learn what that would entail... I
    > assume constructing some sort of shell for it, and buying different
    > SCSI cables..?

    You buy an external SCSI case that is compatible with the SCSI
    variant used by the drive. Then you mount the drive in it.
    It is really not much different form an internal drive, since SCSI
    allows several meters of cable (depending on the variant).

    Maybe look for SCSI tutorials adn HOWTOS on the web to find out more.

    Arno
Ask a new question

Read More

Tape Drives Storage