Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What manufacturer recovers data from its HDD under warrant..

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 13, 2005 4:53:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello
What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
Moscow, Russia, free of charge?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 1:25:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima wrote:

> Hello
> What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
> Moscow, Russia, free of charge?

No manufacturer tries to recover data from any HDD under warranty anywhere,
except for certain models of Fujitsu sold in the US where data recovery is
provided as part of a settlement on a lawsuit.

If you are concerned about data loss, then you will find that backup is a
far, far better option than data recovery.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
July 13, 2005 2:03:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message
news:1121241221.002812.116150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hello
> What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
> Moscow, Russia, free of charge?
>

Keep on dreaming ...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 10:30:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:D b351a02vne@news2.newsguy.com
> Dima wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
> > Moscow, Russia, free of charge?
>
> No manufacturer tries to recover data from any HDD under warranty anywhere,

No? Not even Seagate?

> except for certain models of Fujitsu sold in the US where data recovery is
> provided as part of a settlement on a lawsuit.
>
> If you are concerned about data loss, then you will find that backup is a
> far, far better option than data recovery.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 13, 2005 10:56:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD
> under warranty in Moscow, Russia, free of charge?

None, zero, nada, ziltch.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 12:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
>
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message news:D b351a02vne@news2.newsguy.com
> > Dima wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > > What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
> > > Moscow, Russia, free of charge?
> >
> > No manufacturer tries to recover data from any HDD under warranty anywhere,
>
> No? Not even Seagate?
>

They use the services of an independent data recovery company, and they
certainly don't offer free, warranted recovery.

Seagate's "recovery" address is the same as for the recovery company.
Can't remember which one, but something like OnTrack or Vogon or
Frontline or something - but I believe it's in Canada.

But Folkert, as the fount of all knowledge, you probably know this
already.


Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
July 14, 2005 2:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Do they repair the drive or just replace it. If they repair the
information can remain some times.
July 14, 2005 5:20:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

What is the test after the repair?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 6:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Hello
> What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD under warranty in
> Moscow, Russia, free of charge?

None. Read the terms and conditions you bought your drive under.
AFAIK no manufactuere offers recovery at all, even if you are
willing to pay.

Arno
July 14, 2005 7:07:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Can they write to free space, not over my data?
July 14, 2005 8:02:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Very strange. Why do they hurt customers by taking their data?
July 14, 2005 12:37:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:<1121329201.589408.126580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

> What is the test after the repair?

It is a "certification process", including adaptive tuning, "low
level" formatting, hiding of media defects, etc. It proceeds from 4 to
20 hours. All these procedures demand numerous read, write, seek tests
on all surface of a disk. This process is obligatory at factory
repair.
The very first step of cert process (resetting of adaptives and defect
tables) is fatal to all user files.

If you need your data from defective drive - data recovery service is
not very expensive in Russia ($50-500) ;-).

Leonid
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 7:53:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> Do they repair the drive or just replace it.

Replace it.

> If they repair the information can remain some times.

Not usually, it doesnt survive the test after the repair.
July 14, 2005 9:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message
news:1121338939.730021.27580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Very strange. Why do they hurt customers by taking their data?
>

They don't take your data. They wipe it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 10:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> What is the test after the repair?

Normally at least the full diagnostics which includes writing to the drive.

Nothing else can ensure that the drive can write properly.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 12:11:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Do they repair the drive or just replace it. If they repair the
> information can remain some times.

Usually relace with a repaired and blanked ('recertified') drive from
another customer.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 12:12:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously Joep <available@request.nl> wrote:

> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message
> news:1121338939.730021.27580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> Very strange. Why do they hurt customers by taking their data?
>>

> They don't take your data. They wipe it.

And they do not give you back your drive. They give you another
one from storage and test/repair/recertify your drive at their
leisure. I don't think that they repair drives that are badly
damaged at all.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 12:14:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> Can they write to free space, not over my data?

They can, but choose not to.

You dont get back the drive you sent to
them, even if they do repair it, anyway.
July 15, 2005 4:17:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

OK. Why do they hurt customers by wiping their data?
July 15, 2005 4:24:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Some repairs are so easy or slight that could allow reading the data
without a data recovery service. What service allows reading the data
after the repair?
July 15, 2005 4:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive in Russia
($50-500). But western manufacturers void their warranty after the data
recovery in Russia.
Who is an olicharch?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 5:21:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Oh look, Leo is back.

Hey Leo, there is still a question open for you.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=2nitmkF1ceoeU...

You almost had a year to think about it.

"Leo" <Leo@softjoys.ru> wrote in message news:c05abcbe.0507140737.4dbe4293@posting.google.com
> "Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:<1121329201.589408.126580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
>
> > What is the test after the repair?
>
> It is a "certification process", including adaptive tuning, "low
> level" formatting, hiding of media defects, etc.

> It proceeds from 4 to 20 hours. All these procedures demand numerous
> read, write, seek tests on all surface of a disk. This process is obligatory
> at factory repair.

> The very first step of cert process (resetting of adaptives and defect
> tables) is fatal to all user files.

That's nonsense.

>
> If you need your data from defective drive - data recovery service is
> not very expensive in Russia ($50-500) ;-).

Not if you are an olicharch, no.

>
> Leonid
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 6:22:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
>
> > What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD
> > under warranty in Moscow, Russia, free of charge?
>
> None, zero, nada, ziltch.

Was Quantum the only company to ever include data recovery? I remember
them doing this maybe 15 years ago, when their drives were warranted
for 2 years.
July 15, 2005 7:58:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Not allowing reading data after a easy or slight repair is very stupid.
They lose trust of customers.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 10:17:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> Very strange. Why do they hurt customers by taking their data?

They dont. They dont return the drive you sent in when
they do repair/refurbish a drive and they need to wipe
the drive so someone else doesnt get your data.

You're welcome to use and pay for a recovery service if
you want to do that, and that doesnt void your warranty if
you use a recovery service the drive manufacturer approves.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:38:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

>>> What manufacturer tries to recover data from its HDD
>>> under warranty in Moscow, Russia, free of charge?

>> None, zero, nada, ziltch.

> Was Quantum the only company to ever include data recovery?

They never did for free either.

> I remember them doing this maybe 15 years ago,
> when their drives were warranted for 2 years.

Nope, they didnt.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:40:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> OK. Why do they hurt customers by wiping their data?

Because, as you have been told repeatedly, even if the
drive is repaired/refurbished, the customer doesnt get
the same drive back and the last thing customers want
is someone else getting their data.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:41:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.

> Who is an olicharch?

Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.

You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
>
> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
>
> > Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
> > in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
> > warranty after the data recovery in Russia.
>
> > Who is an olicharch?
>
> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.
>
> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.

And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged by malicious
intent, over which he had no control?

But then you know everything, you arrogant little squirt.


Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:

> Some repairs are so easy or slight that could allow
> reading the data without a data recovery service.

Correct.

> What service allows reading the data after the repair?

None, zero, nada, ziltch.

Because you dont get the same drive back after repair/refurbishment.

You normally get a new drive.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 12:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
>
>
>>Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
>>in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
>>warranty after the data recovery in Russia.
>
>
>>Who is an olicharch?
>
>
> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.
>
> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.
>
>

why are you conversing with an idiot ?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 4:06:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima wrote:

> Not allowing reading data after a easy or slight repair is very stupid.
> They lose trust of customers.

Wiping the drive and running test patterns on it is part of the repair
procedure. And they can't do this on just the unused area because that
won't find problems in the used area.

But they don't generally perform "easy or slight repairs" and send your
drive back, they just send you another drive and then fix yours at their
leisure.

I've never expected a repaired drive to come back in anything but factory
default condition--if you do it's an unrealistic expectation. The drive
manufacturer assumes that you've done your part of the job by maintaining
proper backups--if you don't then it's your own damned fault that you lost
your data.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 5:16:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1121414008.185732.207970@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
> Leonid is right.

With Leo bluffing alot that is hard to say sometimes.
Just have a look at that thread which still awaits his answer.

> Data recovery service is not very expensive in Russia ($50-500).

Well maybe you are an olicharch then if you find $500 cheap.

> But western manufacturers void their warranty after the data
> recovery in Russia.

So what.
If you find $500 cheap then the cost of a new drive is peanuts in comparison.

> Who is an olicharch?

You even sure you are russian?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 5:32:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1121412279.194440.36440@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
> Some repairs are so easy or slight that could allow reading the data
> without a data recovery service.

> What service allows reading the data after the repair?

That's a rather silly question
(not to say that your other questions are ever so bright).

If it's repaired then you can read it yourself, obviously.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 9:20:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

>>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
>>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
>>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.

>>> Who is an olicharch?

>> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.

>> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
>> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.

> And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged
> by malicious intent, over which he had no control?

STILL nothing to do with 'olicharch', you stupid pig ignorant clown.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 9:20:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
>
> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote
> >> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
>
> >>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
> >>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
> >>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.
>
> >>> Who is an olicharch?
>
> >> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.
>
> >> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
> >> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.
>
> > And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged
> > by malicious intent, over which he had no control?
>
> STILL nothing to do with 'olicharch', you stupid pig ignorant clown.

Hi Rod - down, boy. Calm.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 9:20:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
>>
>> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
>> > Rod Speed wrote
>> >> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
>>
>> >>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
>> >>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
>> >>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.
>>
>> >>> Who is an olicharch?
>>
>> >> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.
>>
>> >> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
>> >> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.
>>
>> > And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged
>> > by malicious intent, over which he had no control?
>>
>> STILL nothing to do with 'olicharch', you stupid pig ignorant clown.
>
> Hi Rod - down, boy. Calm.

WTF is an "olicharch" anyway?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 9:22:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

> Not allowing reading data after a easy or slight repair is very stupid.

It is even more stupid to be attempting to do repair of the particular
drive the customer returned when those stupid enough to not back
up their data can use a recovery service to get their data.

> They lose trust of customers.

Only the fools too stupid to backup their data.

They've never amounted to a damn to a hard drive manufacturer.

Modern hard drives are all about dirt cheap commodity
products that hardly ever get repaired anymore, stupid.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 12:03:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"J. Clarke" wrote:
>
> Odie Ferrous wrote:
>
> > Rod Speed wrote:
> >>
> >> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
> >> > Rod Speed wrote
> >> >> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote
> >>
> >> >>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
> >> >>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
> >> >>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.
> >>
> >> >>> Who is an olicharch?
> >>
> >> >> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.
> >>
> >> >> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
> >> >> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.
> >>
> >> > And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged
> >> > by malicious intent, over which he had no control?
> >>
> >> STILL nothing to do with 'olicharch', you stupid pig ignorant clown.
> >
> > Hi Rod - down, boy. Calm.
>
> WTF is an "olicharch" anyway?


They actually mean "oligarch" which is a ruler in an "oligarchy" which
in turn is a country controlled by only a few people.


Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 4:42:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote
>>>> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

>>>>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
>>>>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
>>>>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.

>>>>> Who is an olicharch?

>>>> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.

>>>> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
>>>> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.

>>> And what, pray tell, if the poster had had his data damaged
>>> by malicious intent, over which he had no control?

>> STILL nothing to do with 'olicharch', you stupid pig ignorant clown.

> Hi Rod - down, boy. Calm.

Pathetic, really.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 6:04:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Tracker <fake@falce.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote

>>> Leonid is right. Data recovery service is not very expensive
>>> in Russia ($50-500). But western manufacturers void their
>>> warranty after the data recovery in Russia.

>>> Who is an olicharch?

>> Thats got absolutely NOTHING to do with oligarchys.

>> You're welcome to backup your data and pay for data
>> recovery if you are stupid enough to not bother with backups.

> why are you conversing with an idiot ?

I'm actually taking a dump on that idiot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 17, 2005 9:24:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
> do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote

> > Was Quantum the only company to ever include data recovery?
>
> They never did for free either.

> > I remember them doing this maybe 15 years ago,
> > when their drives were warranted for 2 years.

> Nope, they didnt.

They wouldn't take extraordinary measures to recover the data, but
they'd try to read the returned drive and write the contents to its
replacement, at no extra charge. This was back when some Quantums were
still made in Japan (by Matsushita?) and maybe the U.S.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 18, 2005 8:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote

>>> Was Quantum the only company to ever include data recovery?

>> They never did for free either.

>>> I remember them doing this maybe 15 years ago,
>>> when their drives were warranted for 2 years.

>> Nope, they didnt.

> They wouldn't take extraordinary measures to recover the data,
> but they'd try to read the returned drive and write the contents to
> its replacement, at no extra charge. This was back when some
> Quantums were still made in Japan (by Matsushita?) and maybe the U.S.

Utterly mangled all over again.
!