slave drive trouble

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 13, 2005 7:36:16 PM

Hi everyone.

I can no longer access my 40 gig slave drive (E:) . The file system is NTFS
and it still appears as E: in My Computer.

I can still access its properties so it shows how much space is free on it,
but I can't write to it or read from it. When another program or I select
the drive it asks if I want to format it. Shortcut's to files on the drive
don't work. I thought a reboot might sort it out, but on rebooting it said:-

"Checking file system on E: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume
label is New Volume.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the
disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Windows will
now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 0f 3)...
File records segment 4 is unreadable [same for 5,6,7, 28, 29, 30, 31, 15540,
15541...]"

What seems to be wrong here? and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Dominic.

More about : slave drive trouble

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 2:34:37 AM

May be the boot sector or FAT/ MFT are corrupt. Don't format and
chkdsk,
use some tool to fix it.

I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to fix boot sector.

First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

Run the program and right click the partition and choose fixboot.

For more detail:
http://www.ptdd.com/fixboot.htm
http://www.ptdd.com/mbr.htm
http://www.ptdd.com
July 14, 2005 3:44:04 PM

<wemaole@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> May be the boot sector

Nope: "Checking file system on E: The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume
label is New Volume." ... boot sector is fine.

> I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to fix boot sector.

You do not have a clue, do you? As long as you can plug that PartitionDoctor
sheit
!