Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ghost 8 and IBM Servers - Specifically 346

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 8:01:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi,

I am suffering some severe pain at the hands of Symantec Ghost and IBM
servers here...please can someone help me out...

Here is the problem:

Trying to clone IBM346 Servers, the spec is:
IBM 346
Serveraid 7k controller
4x 146gb drives in raid 5 configuration
5gb ram

I have also tried this with just the onboard hostraid controller, same
problem...

Basically, when I try to launch ghost it locks up mainly but using
switches -ffs or fis (believe me i have tried them all!!) i get the
following error:

"application error 29004 read sector failure result=1, drive=0, sectors
6291488 to 6291490"

I have used ghost successfully on raid configurations with HP hardware
no problem, so I know it isnt to do with raid itself just something
with this controller...it could perhaps be the size of the drives
though I have no smaller ones to test with...

anyone who can shed some light on this would be most appreciated, I
can't believe I am the only person having this drama... I am also
looking at ADS from microsoft, V2i, Acronis trueimage and the like...

Thanks...

Kevin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 10:01:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

kevinjdonnelly@gmail.com wrote

> I am suffering some severe pain at the hands of Symantec Ghost
> and IBM servers here...please can someone help me out...

> Here is the problem:

> Trying to clone IBM346 Servers, the spec is:
> IBM 346
> Serveraid 7k controller
> 4x 146gb drives in raid 5 configuration
> 5gb ram

> I have also tried this with just the onboard
> hostraid controller, same problem...

> Basically, when I try to launch ghost it locks up mainly but using
> switches -ffs or fis (believe me i have tried them all!!) i get the
> following error:

> "application error 29004 read sector failure result=1, drive=0,
> sectors 6291488 to 6291490"

Presumably there are a few bad sectors there and it cant
handle that if those are valid sectors numbers for that config.

> I have used ghost successfully on raid configurations
> with HP hardware no problem, so I know it isnt to do
> with raid itself just something with this controller...

Symantec doesnt support RAID with Ghost 8
http://tinyurl.com/6t536
http://tinyurl.com/3vjne

You are seeing the reason it doesnt officially
support RAID, it doesnt work with all RAID configs.

> it could perhaps be the size of the drives
> though I have no smaller ones to test with...

> anyone who can shed some light on this would be most appreciated,
> I can't believe I am the only person having this drama... I am also
> looking at ADS from microsoft, V2i, Acronis trueimage and the like...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 18, 2005 5:14:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thanks Rod,

I remember seeing that article, I like the disclaimer...it will work in
some situations...

hmmm...i did think about the aspi drivers before, might give it a last
go with those and see how it goes but hey, thought i'd put it out there
thought it may have been a quirky IBM thing..

Thanks

Kevin

Rod Speed wrote:
> kevinjdonnelly@gmail.com wrote
>
> > I am suffering some severe pain at the hands of Symantec Ghost
> > and IBM servers here...please can someone help me out...
>
> > Here is the problem:
>
> > Trying to clone IBM346 Servers, the spec is:
> > IBM 346
> > Serveraid 7k controller
> > 4x 146gb drives in raid 5 configuration
> > 5gb ram
>
> > I have also tried this with just the onboard
> > hostraid controller, same problem...
>
> > Basically, when I try to launch ghost it locks up mainly but using
> > switches -ffs or fis (believe me i have tried them all!!) i get the
> > following error:
>
> > "application error 29004 read sector failure result=1, drive=0,
> > sectors 6291488 to 6291490"
>
> Presumably there are a few bad sectors there and it cant
> handle that if those are valid sectors numbers for that config.
>
> > I have used ghost successfully on raid configurations
> > with HP hardware no problem, so I know it isnt to do
> > with raid itself just something with this controller...
>
> Symantec doesnt support RAID with Ghost 8
> http://tinyurl.com/6t536
> http://tinyurl.com/3vjne
>
> You are seeing the reason it doesnt officially
> support RAID, it doesnt work with all RAID configs.
>
> > it could perhaps be the size of the drives
> > though I have no smaller ones to test with...
>
> > anyone who can shed some light on this would be most appreciated,
> > I can't believe I am the only person having this drama... I am also
> > looking at ADS from microsoft, V2i, Acronis trueimage and the like...
!