How to make HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in Window..

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 14, 2005 8:11:14 AM

Hello
How to make a HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in my Windows XP Pro
SP2?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 7:40:24 PM

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Hello
> How to make a HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in my Windows XP Pro
> SP2?

Get a SMART monitoring tool. What tool depends on what kind of
alerts you want to get. I sue the smartmon tools, they are
free and available windows as well. They are commandline based and
I have no idea what alerting you can do with Windows. Under
Linux the smartd in that package will send Email when something is
wrong (configurable).

Arno
July 14, 2005 7:40:25 PM

> I sue the smartmon tools, they are free and .....

Why do you SUE them? Did they lie to you? ;-)
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 1:53:51 AM

Previously Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> I sue the smartmon tools, they are free and .....

> Why do you SUE them? Did they lie to you? ;-)

Ooops! There is a reason the Emacs editor has a command
to swap two adjacent characters.... ;-)

Arno
July 15, 2005 4:11:02 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I want to get an alert that I should replace the drive with a healthier.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 4:46:05 PM

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> I want to get an alert that I should replace the drive with a healthier.

This is your personal call. So you need to configure when you want
to get an alert yourself. Note thet the SMART status is unreliable.
I had, e.g., a Maxtor drive that had >1000 reallocated secorts and
was painfully slow still display SMART status as "passed". Personally
I monitor the reallocates sectors counter.

Arno
July 19, 2005 5:34:17 AM

Thanks for your reply Arno
How to configure when I want to get an alert myself?
How to monitor the reallocates sectors counter.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 19, 2005 1:54:24 PM

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Arno
> How to configure when I want to get an alert myself?
> How to monitor the reallocates sectors counter.

You find that in the documentation for smartd. It is configured
by a human redable/writable text file.

Arno
July 20, 2005 5:40:59 AM

Is smartd for Linux only?
July 20, 2005 6:18:41 AM

Hello
Is not Controller Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI "a hardware RAID controller
that presents a logical representation of physical devices"?
Do not I have "a hardware RAID controller that presents a logical
representation of my physical devices" if I have Controller Promise
Ultra100 TX2 PCI?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 20, 2005 12:29:10 PM

smartctl is useful for its detailed reports, but not for automatic warnings.
smartd is for idiots who won't use one of the better free windows utilities.

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1121848859.844272.51910@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Is smartd for Linux only?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 20, 2005 1:32:06 PM

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> Is smartd for Linux only?

Honestly I don't know. The whola package was ported to Windows,
but I don't do anything except gaming on Windows so I have not
tried it. Bust since it is free, why don't you just download
it and have a look at it?

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Arno
July 22, 2005 3:04:38 AM

Thanks
July 22, 2005 3:05:25 AM

What are the better free windows utilities?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 22, 2005 2:27:00 PM

If you want to check RAW values, use smartctl or lavalys.com's Everest Home.
There are many that monitor disks - HDD Health from panterasoft.com.

"Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1122012325.423402.262330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> What are the better free windows utilities?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 22, 2005 2:34:21 PM

Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
> What are the better free windows utilities?

In Erics mind obviously thoise that do not require you to be able
to read and write. smard is pretty good, but it does require you
to type text in a file to configure it. Which also means easy backup
or multiple configurations, since you can just copy/print/rename that
file. Why some people insist on "text interface" => "bad software"
is beyond me.

Arno
!