How to make HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in Window..

Hello
How to make a HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in my Windows XP Pro
SP2?
15 answers Last reply
More about make smart report malfunction window

    Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
    > Hello
    > How to make a HDD SMART report a malfunction to me in my Windows XP Pro
    > SP2?

    Get a SMART monitoring tool. What tool depends on what kind of
    alerts you want to get. I sue the smartmon tools, they are
    free and available windows as well. They are commandline based and
    I have no idea what alerting you can do with Windows. Under
    Linux the smartd in that package will send Email when something is
    wrong (configurable).

    Arno

    > I sue the smartmon tools, they are free and .....

    Why do you SUE them? Did they lie to you? ;-)

    Previously Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >> I sue the smartmon tools, they are free and .....

    > Why do you SUE them? Did they lie to you? ;-)

    Ooops! There is a reason the Emacs editor has a command
    to swap two adjacent characters.... ;-)

    Arno

    Thanks for your reply.
    I want to get an alert that I should replace the drive with a healthier.

    Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply.
    > I want to get an alert that I should replace the drive with a healthier.

    This is your personal call. So you need to configure when you want
    to get an alert yourself. Note thet the SMART status is unreliable.
    I had, e.g., a Maxtor drive that had >1000 reallocated secorts and
    was painfully slow still display SMART status as "passed". Personally
    I monitor the reallocates sectors counter.

    Arno

    Thanks for your reply Arno
    How to configure when I want to get an alert myself?
    How to monitor the reallocates sectors counter.

    Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply Arno
    > How to configure when I want to get an alert myself?
    > How to monitor the reallocates sectors counter.

    You find that in the documentation for smartd. It is configured
    by a human redable/writable text file.

    Arno

    Is smartd for Linux only?

    Hello
    Is not Controller Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI "a hardware RAID controller
    that presents a logical representation of physical devices"?
    Do not I have "a hardware RAID controller that presents a logical
    representation of my physical devices" if I have Controller Promise
    Ultra100 TX2 PCI?

    smartctl is useful for its detailed reports, but not for automatic warnings.
    smartd is for idiots who won't use one of the better free windows utilities.

    "Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1121848859.844272.51910@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Is smartd for Linux only?

    Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
    > Is smartd for Linux only?

    Honestly I don't know. The whola package was ported to Windows,
    but I don't do anything except gaming on Windows so I have not
    tried it. Bust since it is free, why don't you just download
    it and have a look at it?

    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    Arno

    Thanks

    What are the better free windows utilities?

    If you want to check RAW values, use smartctl or lavalys.com's Everest Home.
    There are many that monitor disks - HDD Health from panterasoft.com.

    "Dima" <kopn@bk.ru> wrote in message news:1122012325.423402.262330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > What are the better free windows utilities?

    Previously Dima <kopn@bk.ru> wrote:
    > What are the better free windows utilities?

    In Erics mind obviously thoise that do not require you to be able
    to read and write. smard is pretty good, but it does require you
    to type text in a file to configure it. Which also means easy backup
    or multiple configurations, since you can just copy/print/rename that
    file. Why some people insist on "text interface" => "bad software"
    is beyond me.

    Arno

Hardware Hard Drives Storage