Detecting drive temporarily offline

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
July 14, 2005 6:52:52 PM

I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 1:52:48 AM

Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?

More likely a recalibration. No way to tell easily, since
the disk does not announce this to the world.

Arno
July 15, 2005 2:41:20 AM

> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?

Windows? Power Options | Turn off hard disks after x minutes/hours
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 7:12:19 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:41:20 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
>> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
>> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
>> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
>>

>Windows? Power Options | Turn off hard disks after x minutes/hours

That's disabled. I wish that was it.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 7:21:12 AM

On 14 Jul 2005 21:52:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
>> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
>> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
>> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
>
>More likely a recalibration. No way to tell easily, since
>the disk does not announce this to the world.
>
>Arno

In 2003 I was using WD drives. After numerous spin-downs on RAID
systems they finally had to announce a BIOS problems. Wasn't easy
for them, evidently.

That particular sound gets my attention now. In the case of the WD,
the errors would turn up in the event cue as delayed writes or
complete write fails. It seems like some temporary polling mechanism
could detect if that's happening. It would probably turn up within a
day or so.

Maybe I have to get up to speed on how to access drives' SMART data.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:41:34 AM

_R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:

> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going
> offline and back online in one of the systems nearby.
> Problem is, I can't tell which computer, drive, or power
> cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no clues.

Likely because the drive itself is doing it.

> Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?

It might show up on the Everest SMART data.

Whether it does or not depends on the drive and
whether it includes the spindown in the SMART data.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 4:42:34 PM

Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jul 2005 21:52:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>>> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
>>> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
>>> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
>>> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
>>
>>More likely a recalibration. No way to tell easily, since
>>the disk does not announce this to the world.
>>
>>Arno

> In 2003 I was using WD drives. After numerous spin-downs on RAID
> systems they finally had to announce a BIOS problems. Wasn't easy
> for them, evidently.

> That particular sound gets my attention now. In the case of the WD,
> the errors would turn up in the event cue as delayed writes or
> complete write fails. It seems like some temporary polling mechanism
> could detect if that's happening. It would probably turn up within a
> day or so.

> Maybe I have to get up to speed on how to access drives' SMART data.

Hmm. If it is this type of problem, SMART might not help, since it will
likely not be accessible during the spin-down as well. I think
you may have to detect the disk being unresponsive. How to do that
depends on your OS and the disk load.

On the other hand the Start_Stop_Count in SMART may show increases
that should not be there. This you can poll with some sort of
cron-job or polling daemon. Easiest way to get SMART data for
further processing is with the commandline smartmontools. You
may even be able to configure smartd (part of the smartmontools) to
do this monitoring for you.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 7:50:05 PM

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:mnFBe.10703$6e3.668101@news20.bellglobal.com
> > I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
> > online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
> > computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
> > clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
> >

> Windows? Power Options | Turn off hard disks after x minutes/hours

What chance of a drive timing out after several minutes to a hour of in-
activity and then be immediately hit by a request that fires it up again?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 15, 2005 11:33:18 PM

_R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
> On 14 Jul 2005 21:52:48 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Previously _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>>> I occasionally hear a drive sound like it's going offline and back
>>> online in one of the systems nearby. Problem is, I can't tell which
>>> computer, drive, or power cable is the culprit. Event viewer has no
>>> clues. Is there a monitoring utility that will catch this?
>>
>> More likely a recalibration. No way to tell easily, since
>> the disk does not announce this to the world.
>>
>> Arno
>
> In 2003 I was using WD drives. After numerous spin-downs on RAID
> systems they finally had to announce a BIOS problems. Wasn't easy
> for them, evidently.
>
> That particular sound gets my attention now. In the case of the WD,
> the errors would turn up in the event cue as delayed writes or
> complete write fails. It seems like some temporary polling mechanism
> could detect if that's happening. It would probably turn up within a
> day or so.
>
> Maybe I have to get up to speed on how to access drives' SMART data.

Just use Everest.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 9:03:49 AM

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote
> _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote
>> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote
>>> _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote

>>> More likely a recalibration. No way to tell easily, since
>>> the disk does not announce this to the world.

>> In 2003 I was using WD drives. After numerous spin-downs
>> on RAID systems they finally had to announce a BIOS
>> problems. Wasn't easy for them, evidently.

>> That particular sound gets my attention now. In the case
>> of the WD, the errors would turn up in the event cue as
>> delayed writes or complete write fails. It seems like some
>> temporary polling mechanism could detect if that's happening.
>> It would probably turn up within a day or so.

>> Maybe I have to get up to speed on how to access drives' SMART data.

> Hmm. If it is this type of problem, SMART might not help, since
> it will likely not be accessible during the spin-down as well.

That shouldnt be a problem because the spin down appears to
be only a short term spindown and if it isnt, access to the SMART
data should spin it up again, and even if it doesnt, you will know which
drive has spun down because the SMART data wont be available.

> I think you may have to detect the disk being unresponsive.
> How to do that depends on your OS and the disk load.

Nope, just the SMART data not being available is all the info you need.

!