Retrospect can't see DVD drive

I've got Win XP SP2 installed on a RAID 0 array [using the built in RAID
function on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939]. The array is built from two drives - one
is the master on the primary PATA channel and one is on one of the SATA
controllers.

The DVD drive is the master on the second IDE channel - no slave on this
channel.

Dantz's Retrospect [latest version] can't see the DVD drive. I've tried
using ASPI, but no difference. Latest nVidia drivers are installed. I
tried installing MS's standard IDE drivers, but the pc BSOD's right after
Windows splash screen starts. [I use Retrospect for disaster recovery and
to maintain daily backups of my user data]

The DVD drive shows correctly in Device Manager and functions with no
problems - i.e., Windows Explorer recognizes it; CD's are recognized and can
install programs from the CD; Nero burns CD's and DVD's. There are no
problems shown in Device Manager for any devices.

I got to this install by first installing a fresh copy of Win XP SP2,
installing Retrospect, then restoring the disk from a previous backup set
[that was created from exactly the same hardware except there wasn't any
RAID array]. In the previous system set up [i.e., OS installed on a single
drive] Retrospect worked fine with the DVD drive.
To install an OS on this MB, you have to specify nVidia's RAID and ATA
drivers in Windows setup.

I've tried uninstalling Retrospect [along with the settings in
Documents/Settings] and reinstalling. No change.

[I'm thinking to try building the array from just SATA drives - I've got
another SATA drive on order.]

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks

fj <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've got Win XP SP2 installed on a RAID 0 array [using the built in
> RAID function on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939]. The array is built from two
> drives - one is the master on the primary PATA channel and one is on
> one of the SATA controllers.
>
> The DVD drive is the master on the second IDE channel - no slave on
> this channel.
>
> Dantz's Retrospect [latest version] can't see the DVD drive. I've
> tried using ASPI, but no difference. Latest nVidia drivers are
> installed. I tried installing MS's standard IDE drivers, but the pc
> BSOD's right after Windows splash screen starts. [I use Retrospect
> for disaster recovery and to maintain daily backups of my user data]
>
> The DVD drive shows correctly in Device Manager and functions with no
> problems - i.e., Windows Explorer recognizes it; CD's are recognized
> and can install programs from the CD; Nero burns CD's and DVD's.
> There are no problems shown in Device Manager for any devices.
>
> I got to this install by first installing a fresh copy of Win XP SP2,
> installing Retrospect, then restoring the disk from a previous backup
> set [that was created from exactly the same hardware except there
> wasn't any RAID array]. In the previous system set up [i.e., OS
> installed on a single drive] Retrospect worked fine with the DVD
> drive. To install an OS on this MB, you have to specify nVidia's RAID and ATA
> drivers in Windows setup.
>
> I've tried uninstalling Retrospect [along with the settings in
> Documents/Settings] and reinstalling. No change.
>
> [I'm thinking to try building the array from just SATA drives - I've
> got another SATA drive on order.]

> Any idea what's going on?

Most likely a quirk of the drivers that allow
you to RAID0 one PATA and one SATA drive.

> fj <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got Win XP SP2 installed on a RAID 0 array [using the built in
>> RAID function on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939]. The array is built from two
>> drives - one is the master on the primary PATA channel and one is on
>> one of the SATA controllers.
>>
>> The DVD drive is the master on the second IDE channel - no slave on
>> this channel.
>>
>> Dantz's Retrospect [latest version] can't see the DVD drive. I've
>> tried using ASPI, but no difference. Latest nVidia drivers are
>> installed. I tried installing MS's standard IDE drivers, but the pc
>> BSOD's right after Windows splash screen starts. [I use Retrospect
>> for disaster recovery and to maintain daily backups of my user data]
>>
>> The DVD drive shows correctly in Device Manager and functions with no
>> problems - i.e., Windows Explorer recognizes it; CD's are recognized
>> and can install programs from the CD; Nero burns CD's and DVD's.
>> There are no problems shown in Device Manager for any devices.
>>
>> I got to this install by first installing a fresh copy of Win XP SP2,
>> installing Retrospect, then restoring the disk from a previous backup
>> set [that was created from exactly the same hardware except there
>> wasn't any RAID array]. In the previous system set up [i.e., OS
>> installed on a single drive] Retrospect worked fine with the DVD
>> drive. To install an OS on this MB, you have to specify nVidia's RAID and
>> ATA
>> drivers in Windows setup.
>>
>> I've tried uninstalling Retrospect [along with the settings in
>> Documents/Settings] and reinstalling. No change.
>>
>> [I'm thinking to try building the array from just SATA drives - I've
>> got another SATA drive on order.]
>
>> Any idea what's going on?
>
> Most likely a quirk of the drivers that allow
> you to RAID0 one PATA and one SATA drive.
Thanks. I'll post results after building a SATA only array.

"fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> fj <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've got Win XP SP2 installed on a RAID 0 array [using the built in
>>> RAID function on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939]. The array is built from two
>>> drives - one is the master on the primary PATA channel and one is on
>>> one of the SATA controllers.
>>>
>>> The DVD drive is the master on the second IDE channel - no slave on
>>> this channel.
>>>
>>> Dantz's Retrospect [latest version] can't see the DVD drive. I've
>>> tried using ASPI, but no difference. Latest nVidia drivers are
>>> installed. I tried installing MS's standard IDE drivers, but the pc
>>> BSOD's right after Windows splash screen starts. [I use Retrospect
>>> for disaster recovery and to maintain daily backups of my user data]
>>>
>>> The DVD drive shows correctly in Device Manager and functions with no
>>> problems - i.e., Windows Explorer recognizes it; CD's are recognized
>>> and can install programs from the CD; Nero burns CD's and DVD's.
>>> There are no problems shown in Device Manager for any devices.
>>>
>>> I got to this install by first installing a fresh copy of Win XP SP2,
>>> installing Retrospect, then restoring the disk from a previous backup
>>> set [that was created from exactly the same hardware except there
>>> wasn't any RAID array]. In the previous system set up [i.e., OS
>>> installed on a single drive] Retrospect worked fine with the DVD
>>> drive. To install an OS on this MB, you have to specify nVidia's RAID
>>> and ATA
>>> drivers in Windows setup.
>>>
>>> I've tried uninstalling Retrospect [along with the settings in
>>> Documents/Settings] and reinstalling. No change.
>>>
>>> [I'm thinking to try building the array from just SATA drives - I've
>>> got another SATA drive on order.]
>>
>>> Any idea what's going on?
>>
>> Most likely a quirk of the drivers that allow
>> you to RAID0 one PATA and one SATA drive.
> Thanks. I'll post results after building a SATA only array.
Well, my bad.
Turns out ASPI was not installed [even though the option appeared in
Retrospect - just my excuse]
In any case, after installing ASPI, Retrospect now sees and works with the
DVD drive.

fj <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "fj" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Most likely a quirk of the drivers that allow
>>> you to RAID0 one PATA and one SATA drive.
>> Thanks. I'll post results after building a SATA only array.
> Well, my bad.
> Turns out ASPI was not installed [even though the option appeared in
> Retrospect - just my excuse]
> In any case, after installing ASPI, Retrospect now sees and works
> with the DVD drive.

Thanks for the followup, too rarely seen in my opinion.

Now anyone using groups.google researching the problem
will be able to see what needs to be done in that situation.