Windows 7 internet not connecting firewall

scuba_suit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hello,
I am trying to connect to the internet but it won't, i called dell (my pc manufacturer) and they said i have a software issue, that a firewall must be up or something about proxy. I disabled the firewall but still no connection. I have cable and called for service, they came out and tried everything, the tech said that it is communicating with the servers for connection but couldn't get any browser to work. Another friend of mine said they are experiencing the same issues. What could be the problem? Hardware? The 10/100 ethernet card is not working (which shouldn't be the case since the tech was pinging from the pc to other sites fine). Any info would be very helpful.

there is a proxy setting in Internet Options that should not be checked.

Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Connections tab >> LAN setting button >> Proxy check box needs to be unchecked.

also install and run Malwarebytes in Save Mode with Network

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
To resolve this behavior, use a firewall only for network connections that you use to connect directly to the Internet. For example, use a firewall on a single computer that is connected to the Internet directly through a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial-up modem. If you use the same network connection to connect to both the Internet and a home or office network, use a router or firewall that prevents Internet computers from connecting to the shared resources on the home or office computers.

Do not use a firewall on network connections that you use to connect to your home or office network unless the firewall can be configured to open ports only for your home or office network. If you connect to the Internet by using your home or office network, a firewall can be used only on the computer or the other device, such as a router, that provides the connection to the Internet. For example, if you connect to the Internet through a network that you manage, and that network uses connection sharing to provide Internet access to multiple computers, you can install or enable a firewall only on the shared Internet connection. If you connect to the Internet through a network that you do not manage, verify that your network administrator is using a firewall.