Need help: Hard disk causes losing power for CPU

Hi,

Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB. I want to
copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB)which works without any
problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to my PC. After the
installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.

After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and other PCs I must
see that if I install one of these two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no
power to this PC.

I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not detect
them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole PC???

Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.

Thank you for reading.
But Bi
6 answers Last reply
More about need help hard disk losing power

    Previously ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
    > I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB. I want to
    > copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB)which works without any
    > problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to my PC. After the
    > installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.

    > After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and other PCs I must
    > see that if I install one of these two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no
    > power to this PC.

    > I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not detect
    > them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole PC???

    > Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
    > from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.

    > Thank you for reading.
    > But Bi

    Since the HDDs seems to work fine in the other PC, the only thing I
    can think of is a very high spin-up current and a PSU that is
    operated very close to its limits. In that case the HDD would start
    to spin up and overload the PSU, which then shuts down. The problem
    may also be a PSU that has degraded to the point were it has
    little reserves left or a defect/degtaded overoad protection circuit
    in the PSU.

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Previously ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    >
    > > Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
    > > I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB. I want to
    > > copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB)which works without any
    > > problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to my PC. After the
    > > installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.
    >
    > > After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and other PCs I must
    > > see that if I install one of these two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no
    > > power to this PC.
    >
    > > I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not detect
    > > them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole PC???
    >
    > > Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
    > > from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.
    >
    > > Thank you for reading.
    > > But Bi
    >
    > Since the HDDs seems to work fine in the other PC, the only thing I
    > can think of is a very high spin-up current and a PSU that is
    > operated very close to its limits. In that case the HDD would start
    > to spin up and overload the PSU, which then shuts down. The problem
    > may also be a PSU that has degraded to the point were it has
    > little reserves left or a defect/degtaded overoad protection circuit
    > in the PSU.
    >
    > Arno

    Tend to agree with Arno. Experienced first-hand similar. Upping the power
    supply did the trick. Most PCs, especially store-bought vairieties, tend to
    be marginally powered. Adding more hardware that requires power from the
    onboard power supply can wreak havoc as no response will be noted when
    turning on the PC at that point.
    There are power supplies that advertise high overall wattage but are only
    average in some output voltage areas.

    Check that the wiring for the power connector is correct and that they
    haven't swapped two wires over when they made the PSU.

    ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote

    > Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
    > I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB.
    > I want to copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB) which
    > works without any problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to
    > my PC. After the installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.

    > After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and
    > other PCs I must see that if I install one of these
    > two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no power to this PC.

    Thats normally due to the power supply seeing
    a short on one of the outputs and shutting down
    so quickly that it appears to never power up.

    > I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not detect
    > them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole PC???

    That is how the power supply is supposed to work
    with what it decides is a short on one of its outputs.

    > Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
    > from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.

    Looks like you have managed to kill them. That isnt
    hard if you connect the power the wrong way around.

    Your only hope is professional data recovery and that aint gunna be cheap.

    Thank you for your replies. I also though it was because of short
    power and changed the PSU (from 300W to 450W). The PC works without
    these 2 120GB HDDs. They seem to be really death now. My concern now
    is how can I recover the data from these HDD. Trying to connect to
    other working PCs or putting them in a portable disk box doesn't work.

    Any hint is very appreciated.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3jt4auFrjlplU1@individual.net>...
    > ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote
    >
    > > Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
    > > I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB.
    > > I want to copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB) which
    > > works without any problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to
    > > my PC. After the installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.
    >
    > > After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and
    > > other PCs I must see that if I install one of these
    > > two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no power to this PC.
    >
    > Thats normally due to the power supply seeing
    > a short on one of the outputs and shutting down
    > so quickly that it appears to never power up.
    >
    > > I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not detect
    > > them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole PC???
    >
    > That is how the power supply is supposed to work
    > with wh

    at it decides is a short on one of its outputs.

    > > Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
    > > from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.
    >
    > Looks like you have managed to kill them. That isnt
    > hard if you connect the power the wrong way around.
    >
    > Your only hope is professional data recovery and that aint gunna be cheap.

    ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote

    > Thank you for your replies. I also though it was because of short
    > power and changed the PSU (from 300W to 450W). The PC works
    > without these 2 120GB HDDs. They seem to be really death now.

    Looks like they are dead now.

    > My concern now is how can I recover the data from these HDD.

    The short story is that you cant and that professional
    recovery is about the only real possibility.

    > Trying to connect to other working PCs or
    > putting them in a portable disk box doesn't work.

    OK.

    > Any hint is very appreciated.

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> ButBi <butbi@mailinator.com> wrote

    >>> Recently I experienced a very odd sort of hard disk failure.
    >>> I've a PC with two HDD: 1 ATA 120GB Samsung and 1 SATA 80GB.
    >>> I want to copy something from an other HDD (SATA 120 GB) which
    >>> works without any problem in an other PC, so I pluged this HDD to
    >>> my PC. After the installation I started my PC but absolutly NO power.

    >>> After a lot of testing, changing with other HDD and
    >>> other PCs I must see that if I install one of these
    >>> two 120 GB HDD in PC there is no power to this PC.
    >>
    >> Thats normally due to the power supply seeing
    >> a short on one of the outputs and shutting down
    >> so quickly that it appears to never power up.
    >>
    >>> I think it very odd. If the HDD are defect the computer may not
    >>> detect them but the defect HDD can cause power failure for whole
    >>> PC???
    >>
    >> That is how the power supply is supposed to work
    >> with wh
    >
    > at it decides is a short on one of its outputs.
    >>
    >>> Any help is very appreciated. I dont know how can I recover the data
    >>> from these HDD because I can not connect them to any computer.
    >>
    >> Looks like you have managed to kill them. That isnt
    >> hard if you connect the power the wrong way around.
    >>
    >> Your only hope is professional data recovery and that aint gunna be
    >> cheap.

Hard Drives Power Storage