Sign in with
Your question

Windows dual boot not appearing

Last response: in Windows 7
December 24, 2010 11:53:13 PM

hi I followd a tutorial on how to dualboot windows 7 and windows XP. basicly my PC has windows 7 and I shunk the C: drive. I then installed windows xp over the new partion. now I cant boot windows 7 becuase the boot manager won't show ( the one that says "selctet youre operating system": http://www.howinthetech.com/determining-if-your-compute... (I am just showing this for the pic.) when I turn my PC on it goes straight to windows XP.

I know my windows 7 partion is still there it is on local disc I: it still has all the files intact I just cant boot into it. and I know my PC supports dual booting as it has before.
December 24, 2010 11:57:53 PM

oopps my XP is the I: drive nad my windows 7 is the C: drive. this site needs an edit button
m
l
December 25, 2010 10:42:13 AM

Click start>all programs> accessories> Run> type msconfig> in the boot tab set the Timeout value to 30, click OK, restart.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2010 5:25:41 PM

OK i.m trying it. I also noticed I am able to get back to win 7 by chooseing the "repar" option, same for XP but it has to be done every time and 7 is popping up IE 4 times at boot.
m
l
December 26, 2010 8:36:34 PM

I allready tried editing boot.ini I get a black screem or a shutdown (I do see options and only windows XP works when I select. like I sied before if I use the 7 disc and choose the repair option I can get back to 7 and when I want xp I have to do the same but with the xp disc. I also read in windows 7 it says "Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options" and xp uses boot.ini.
m
l
January 10, 2011 5:14:15 PM

anyone know? I am getting my system unstable from "repairing" it too mutch so I can switch.
m
l
January 11, 2011 3:27:03 AM

If you have the time, install XP and then Widows 7.I guarantee you that it'll work.
m
l
!