Maxtor Ultra133 vs Promise Ultra133

Different question from the last re 133 vs 100:

Any idea what sets these cards apart? It appears that Maxtor OEM's
the promise 133 and 100 series. They appear identical, though I'm
sure there may be subtle differences. I've heard mixed opinions on
whether BIOS's and/or drivers are compatible. Any word on this?

"_R" wrote:
> Different question from the last re 133 vs 100:
>
> Any idea what sets these cards apart? It appears that Maxtor OEM's
> the promise 133 and 100 series. They appear identical, though I'm
> sure there may be subtle differences. I've heard mixed opinions on
> whether BIOS's and/or drivers are compatible. Any word on this?

In a telephone conversation with a Maxtor tech rep, the rep told
me flat out that their IDE controller cards *are* Promise cards. But...
you will always be able to find someone to argue that tech reps
don't know anything.

*TimDaniels*

I would guess they would be the exact same card.
For whatever business or marketing reasons, Promise and Maxtor do not go out
of their way to publish this.
Maxtor could just buy lots of OEM Promise cards and just stick a Maxtor
label on them.

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
> Different question from the last re 133 vs 100:
>
> Any idea what sets these cards apart? It appears that Maxtor OEM's
> the promise 133 and 100 series. They appear identical, though I'm
> sure there may be subtle differences. I've heard mixed opinions on
> whether BIOS's and/or drivers are compatible. Any word on this?

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message news:ul2nd1l7vtuq6tflqsu3278d6kvp4tmvnf@4ax.com
> Different question from the last re 133 vs 100:
>
> Any idea what sets these cards apart? It appears that Maxtor OEM's
> the promise 133 and 100 series. They appear identical, though I'm
> sure there may be subtle differences. I've heard mixed opinions on
> whether BIOS's and/or drivers are compatible. Any word on this?

Probably as little as the silkscreening on the PCB.

From Maxtor's drivers .inf file:

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D69.DeviceDesc="Win9x-ME Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D68.DeviceDesc="Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D30&SUBSYS_4D33105A.DeviceDesc="Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_0D30&SUBSYS_4D33105A.DeviceDesc="Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265)"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D38&SUBSYS_4D33105A.DeviceDesc="Win9x-ME Promise Ultra66 (tm) IDE Controller"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_4D33.DeviceDesc= "Win9x-ME Promise Ultra33 (tm) IDE Controller"