All my video tapes were generated on a Canon ZR30mc camcorder. My computer
is XP SP2, with Movie Maker 2.1.
I have successfully transferred a few of my video tapes to my PC and made a
few movies.
However, on the other tapes, I can control the camcorder from the Movie
Maker Window, but the video does not transfer. When I click the "finish"
button (after noticing NO progress in the "video captured" time and "video
size" areas), I receive an error message " The specified video device is not
responding. Verify the device is connected properly and turned on, and then
try capturing again". When I click "OK", get get another message:
"C:\Documents and Settings\*******\My Documents\My Videos\Untitled_0008.avi
could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted".
To ensure I'm doing the same steps the same way, I place one of my
successfully transferred tapes in and it works fine.
NOTE: I've tried transferring with and without using the preview option
with the same results. I also tried using both the NTSC and PAL formats,
again, with the same results. In all cases, I can see and hear the video on
my camcorder just fine. Any suggestions?

Are these tapes recorded in LP instead of SP, do they have 16 or 12 bit
sound, and does this differ from the tapes that work.
Have you tried another capture app? If not, give windv a try.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Amentf" <Amentf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All my video tapes were generated on a Canon ZR30mc camcorder. My
computer
> is XP SP2, with Movie Maker 2.1.
> I have successfully transferred a few of my video tapes to my PC and made
> few movies.
> However, on the other tapes, I can control the camcorder from the Movie
> Maker Window, but the video does not transfer. When I click the "finish"
> button (after noticing NO progress in the "video captured" time and
"video
> size" areas), I receive an error message " The specified video device is
not
> responding. Verify the device is connected properly and turned on, and
then
> try capturing again". When I click "OK", get get another message:
> "C:\Documents and Settings\*******\My Documents\My
Videos\Untitled_0008.avi
> could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted".
> To ensure I'm doing the same steps the same way, I place one of my
> successfully transferred tapes in and it works fine.
> NOTE: I've tried transferring with and without using the preview option
> with the same results. I also tried using both the NTSC and PAL formats,
> again, with the same results. In all cases, I can see and hear the video
on
> my camcorder just fine. Any suggestions?

Graham,

I did a little research based on your response and suspect that the problem
is probably due, in part, to the tapes being recorded in ESP and ELP. Does
this mean I'm screwed? Any suggestions for thrid party software (free, if
possible)? Thanks for the response.

Frank