Bad picture using Windows Movie Maker

Hi,
I have been trying for months to put my videos made on Sony DV camera
DCR-TRV33E onto my computer. Using the software that came with the camera
(Pixela Imagemixer 1.5) I get a good picture but no sound. I was told to try
Windows Movie Maker. Using this I do get sound, but a very poor picture (very
blurry). I am using a USB cable and I was told to use Firewire, but even the
Movie Maker Sample file comes up blurry on my computer.
Any suggestions???

What are the specs of the pc? How old is the monitor? Do you watch dvd's on
the pc? What are they like in quality? Firewire is definately the way to
capture video, usb just cannot handle the bandwidth required for full frame
avi capture.
--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Isabella" <Isabella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have been trying for months to put my videos made on Sony DV camera
> DCR-TRV33E onto my computer. Using the software that came with the camera
> (Pixela Imagemixer 1.5) I get a good picture but no sound. I was told to
try
> Windows Movie Maker. Using this I do get sound, but a very poor picture
(very
> blurry). I am using a USB cable and I was told to use Firewire, but even
the
> Movie Maker Sample file comes up blurry on my computer.
> Any suggestions???

Thanks for your quick reply! The pc is a Dell Dimension 4600, the monitor is
also Dell, bought last year. DVD quality is good, only time picture quality
is not good is when I use Moviemaker. Don't have firewire installed. Not sure
if it will solve my problem as quality of the MM sample file is poor as well.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> What are the specs of the pc? How old is the monitor? Do you watch dvd's on
> the pc? What are they like in quality? Firewire is definately the way to
> capture video, usb just cannot handle the bandwidth required for full frame
> avi capture.
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Isabella" <Isabella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have been trying for months to put my videos made on Sony DV camera
> > DCR-TRV33E onto my computer. Using the software that came with the camera
> > (Pixela Imagemixer 1.5) I get a good picture but no sound. I was told to
> try
> > Windows Movie Maker. Using this I do get sound, but a very poor picture
> (very
> > blurry). I am using a USB cable and I was told to use Firewire, but even
> the
> > Movie Maker Sample file comes up blurry on my computer.
> > Any suggestions???

Turn off all other apps when using MM. Include internet/firewall/anti-virus
etc. Defrag the hdd before use. Do you have a seperate drive to save video
to?
It could be that the graphics card drivers need updating, directx is now up
to 9.0c, update wmp to version 10 and try installing windows media encoder.
If non of this works, look at the acceleration settings of the graphics
card.
Have a read of www.papajohn.org problem solving accelration and codecs and
also video.

--

> Thanks for your quick reply! The pc is a Dell Dimension 4600, the monitor
is
> also Dell, bought last year. DVD quality is good, only time picture
quality
> is not good is when I use Moviemaker. Don't have firewire installed. Not
sure
> if it will solve my problem as quality of the MM sample file is poor as
well.

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > What are the specs of the pc? How old is the monitor? Do you watch dvd's
on
> > the pc? What are they like in quality? Firewire is definately the way to
> > capture video, usb just cannot handle the bandwidth required for full
frame
> > avi capture.
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> >

> > "Isabella" <Isabella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I have been trying for months to put my videos made on Sony DV camera
> > > DCR-TRV33E onto my computer. Using the software that came with the
camera
> > > (Pixela Imagemixer 1.5) I get a good picture but no sound. I was told
> > try
> > > Windows Movie Maker. Using this I do get sound, but a very poor
picture
> > (very
> > > blurry). I am using a USB cable and I was told to use Firewire, but
even
> > the
> > > Movie Maker Sample file comes up blurry on my computer.
> > > Any suggestions???

I will try to do this. Thanks again for your help!